Previous generation traditions

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you have any xmas traditions growing up?

I remember with my family where ever we would go (grandparents) we would hang out while the adults drank cocktails before presents. My mom and dad always had whiskey old fashion sweet. Sometimes we got kiddy cocktails.

We ate things that are definitely Sheboygan. One of those is raw beef sandwiches. Other foods were shrimp and cocktail sauce, black olives, mini wieners in bbq sauce, crackers and cheese, and of course christmas cookies. That was usually dinner. Sometimes it was pulled pork sandwiches or hot tamales (also a sheboygan thing, called sloppy joes elsewhere)

November 29th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I don't really remember anything. We opened one present X-mas eve and then Christmas morning we had to wait for my grandma to get there before we opened presents. She lived close and came no matter what time we woke up. Then Christmas afternoon I would go to my dad's parents house where we would eat pretty yucky food. My grandmother is German, from Germany. My grandfather is Spanish, 2nd generation American. She tried to combine the 2 foods...didn't work out. I seriously don't know how anyone ate it. Gross is being nice, sure every once and a while something was edible, but I was usually hungry by the time I got home.

One other thing is my grandmother worked in a bakery so she would always send home lot's of sweets for me and my sister. Even though my sister was no blood relation to them they never forgot to get her something.
November 30th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We celebrated with our cousins on my Dad's side, on my mom's side we had no cousins (how sad!)

Our kids only have two cousins and they won't come out for holidays . So I'm thankful our kids have each other.

November 30th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my kids dont see their cousins either, only met 4 out of 18 in fact (counting step-cousins).

November 30th, 2012, 05:55 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
My parents had a tradition (and still do it if someone's in town on Christmas morning). You had to sit on the steps and wait for "the goose to get fat." I HATED that! Needless to say, my hubby and I don't do it. What it really meant was to sit here on the steps until Mom had breakfast in the oven, Dad had the video camera set up, etc. They would put both doors on the living room, even though we usually only had 1 on. That way, there was no peeking. It was TORTURE!!!

November 30th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No traditions that I can remember, we usually had a meal with one of my mom's sisters the one day I think.

I grew up in Holland, so I actually didn't have Christmas with gifts until I was 13 or 14. Or really was all that aware of Santa until I moved here.
December 1st, 2012, 06:06 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We always opened one gift on Christmas eve (usually pjs) and we each got a new tree ornament. Christmas morning we had to wait upstairs until Mom and Dad got down, had the camera ready, and everyone went to the bathroom- so they could catch our expressions all at once

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search