Getting your children help with chores?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2012, 05:12 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
For those that have children old enough to help out with chores, do you assign chores to anyone or do they just help out as they see or as told? Or do you prefer not to hand out chores?
December 7th, 2012, 05:56 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
My older 3 have a chart that rotates every week. Each day they have a chore, and there are points assigned (or taken away) that correspond with when the chore is completed. At the end of the week, the points are tallied, and that's where their allowances come from. Sometimes they end up owing us money!!

December 7th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I had assigned chores with the older ones. I don't with the younger ones, they help out where help is needed. There are some things that they tend to do more then others, but it's not officially their chore.
December 7th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Everyone has a day. But with the outside chores they figure it out on their own, there's a few days that don't work for particular children, but it all gets done. I only get into it when my #4 ends up doing more than her share too often.

I call a "team clean" a few times a week too, and they usually if they all just do their part then it's done in 15 minutes. So that's enough of a motivator, if one kid skips all the others get mad at her, and it takes longer.
December 7th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do most everything, and I prefer it that way. The one thing I was getting super tired of is the play room. I would have to scream at them to clean it. Now after dinner on their chart is clean play room and for now it's worth three points when most everything else is worth 1. I haven't had to yell since we started this on monday.

December 7th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have "clean team" every Wednesday. It takes us about 3 hours of cleaning, but we do everything. They have a partner and the jobs kind of rotate based on ability. A big is paired with a little and Mama does bill paying during that time. Than in the afternoon we do a lighter version of school, plus it's a lot more hands on fun stuff, so thats a great motivator. We don't do a chore chart, but is sounds like it works for some.

We also have a little clean up before lunch and dinner and than in the evening. That's mainly toys and kitchen clean up after dinner, not to big. But I am a Mama who likes a clean organized house, so that is a priority here (without going overboard and being a neat freak).

Good luck! Ours has changed as the kids have gotten older, but we've also continued adding little ones, so it's always something we can change.

December 8th, 2012, 04:36 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
We dont have anything like a chore chart but there are things we expect the older two do to (ages 5&3) and they have been doing them so long its just a part of daily life for them now. Make their beds, pick up their toys, put dirty dishes in sink, dirty clothes in hampers. I wouldnt personally say those are chores though..that is just what you do in life but for "chores" I do have them help with certain things like feed the fish, help dry dishes (the plastic kid ones) before DH or I put them up in the cupboards. Help unload groceries etc. Simple things for a five and three year old to do.
December 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Veteran
My kids are still fairly young (8 tomorrow, 5,3 and 1) but the older three all have to keep their rooms cleaned, beds made ,toys and movies picked up and put their dirty dishes in the sink. They take turns washing the kitchen table/chairs and the 5 year old likes doing dishes.
December 10th, 2012, 05:55 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't assign chores. I have them help as needed and teach them that way. I learned with the older 2 that the younger I start them the easier it is. Already I am teaching the youngest to put dishes in the sink and clean up her spills.
December 10th, 2012, 06:26 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Mommyto4andc and mommy----I agree with teaching them at a younger age ( learned that lesson with my older ones ) My 6yr old daughter loves doing dishes to. She would do them ( a couple at a time ) when she was 4. She will ask from time to time but mostly I do it cus Im picky about the way things are done and put in the dish drainer or dish washer if Im using it.

But ya totally....if I make clean up time fun and challenging they all love doing it.
December 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
My kids have their own chores (the older two, 5 and almost 4). They are responsible for setting up the tablet and helping unload the dishwasher (they alternate), putting away their own laundry (the oldest likes to fold too), making their beds, keeping their room tidy, and cleaning up toys. They also help me when I ask, they love drying dishes and helpinhg with laundry. It's actually to the point now that I can Sort the laundry and they can start the washer and dryer on their own, and they loive it!
December 12th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran
Forgot the older 3 all have to put their laundry away too. The baby has even helped with putting the clothes from the washer to the dryer but that was obviously her wanting to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search