Considering it.

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By mom2many2010
  • 1 Post By ~mommy~
  • 1 Post By sarahlorrain
  • 5 Post By mom2many2010
  • 3 Post By clouise
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a 12 passenger van right now. As you ladies know, number 10 is due to arrive later April/early May. That makes 12 of us in the van, 8 booster/car seats and 3 diaper bags. So it's really really tight. We need a vehicle that can transports us all at one time because anytime we go anywhere its all of us or none. Our oldest is only 12, so it'll be a few years before she drives.

We have considered a 15 passenger and also a small school bus. We are leaning toward the school bus and getting seats to go around in a semi circle along the perimeter, if that makes sense. That way we could all get in and stand upright while we are getting littles into their seats, and we'd have plenty of room for groceries in the middle. I don't need a special license to drive it, but it does have the classic school bus doors. The gas mileage is the same, licensing is cheaper, and I'll have to check on insurance. We have been debating since summer, when we saw three old transit buses for sale. One sold and there are two left still.

Any thoughts? Would you ever consider this?

December 8th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Go big or go home

I'd go for the bus, having plenty of room is a good thing.
December 8th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I like the bus idea, what would really help me decide is.....are there going to be more little ones? If yes then go the bus. If not then a van might be a little better....only I really like the school bus idea.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
December 8th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. Since we don't use birth control and leave it up to the Lord we are are not sure if there will be more, we certainly are hoping But we are content with what we have, so that might be good too. I'll be almost 39 when this little one arrives, so time is not on our side as they say.

I'm glad you ladies like the bus. I'm sure my family will be so embarressed and not thinking it's a good idea, that's why we tell them nothing, hehe. I just can't imagine that another seat (in trhe 15 passenger) would help that much. This one will already take up one of the seats, which leaves us with just one or two extra seats. And as the kids get bigger, it's tough to fit 3 accross and our kids are pretty small, but still.

Thanks ladies!

December 8th, 2012, 03:58 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE!!! the bus idea!!! I spend 4 hours a day dropping off and picking up my oldest 3 at 3 different public schools. I think it would be awesome to pull up and swing the bus door. The teenager does not share my enthusiasm.
2pinks&ablue likes this.
December 8th, 2012, 04:12 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
The bus is a great idea. Keep in mind a 15 passenger van has very little cargo room unless you remove a seat, which then, whats the point.
#12 is on the way
December 8th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amen to that. Go bus!
December 9th, 2012, 06:59 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whatever you decide, we'll need to see pics when you get it!
MIL2lissy8 likes this.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
December 9th, 2012, 07:22 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I would be moritfied if I was over the age of lets say 11-12...However, that is a reallly cool option honestly. THat would sooo convient and woow was a stress reliever like you said about the ease of putting the young ones with ease in the car seats and also not straining your own back ect ect...ya may not be the cadillac that shines like a diamond...but really a super idea. At least for the time being especially if you found a good deal on it...

You could always sell later when other older ones are driving and have 2nd 3rd cars availble. I say go for it mamaa..totallly
December 9th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
You could paint it like this.....my kids (even the older ones) would find this cool and tried to get me to do our van this way LOL

Or how about this...

One more, I can't resist, who doesn't like Pikachu lol lol

December 9th, 2012, 08:51 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !

thats toooo o coool.....thnx for sharing........
December 9th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly the bus sounds like it will meet your needs much better. I hate having to hunch way over to strap up lots of car seats, and I only have a minivan. And as for embarrassed teenagers - I really think a bus is only slightly more embarrassing than a giant van. They'll deal! It'll build character, right?

And I had to read your post to my husband to prove that we in fact have a small family, lol.
December 9th, 2012, 03:30 PM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
funny -- i was thinking about how you could paint it to make it cooler and yet so unique for your family. love the idea.

~~terre~~
December 10th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I would go with the bus too! We plan on getting a bus one day(when were big enough)hubby really wants one
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 10mo 10/10/13

December 10th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I love the paint job, they would love Scooby!

We are thinking of having our family name on the side. Just for fun. Thanks ladies, I'll let you know how it's going, since it's not just showing up to a dealership to pick one up I'll definately post a picture!
#5in2005 likes this.

December 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL@ the paint jobs!

I think a bus would be fun too. DH wont let me get one, he thinks I'll crash anything bigger than a mini-van ...

December 11th, 2012, 01:58 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I love the bus idea! DH however, woild be mortified it was a huge ordeal when we moved up to a minivan! Lol
December 12th, 2012, 02:26 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
I like the idea of the bus and that pikachu (sp) one is freaking awesome! I would totally drive that even if I didnt have kids, lol.
December 12th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
HA love it I would def go bus.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

December 15th, 2012, 05:09 PM
April 13th 2014 :)
Truthfully I think your older kids would be mortified by a 15 pass van as well as a bus, so you should go with whatever is going to fit better for your family. Espeically since the Lord could grand you more children, then the van would be even smaller!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search