Driving licenses

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2012, 10:56 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Has anyone bought their new drivers a car? What did you factor into buying the car besides safety. Size? Insurance rates? gas milage? style? cost?

My oldest has yet to even get his. He has NO desire to drive. My ds2 is just now getting around to doing his license and has expressed interest in a car. We have thought of a truck or a honda, toyota sedan as it would be safer, gas, cost, insurance rate .. all in our favor.

Any suggestions?
December 18th, 2012, 05:35 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
My 8 year old is already asking when she can get a car. We live in the city and there's not a HUGE need for us to consider getting our kids a car when they can ride the bus or ride a bike where they need to go. If we get our kids anything before college, it will be mopeds. If we lived in the burbs, I'd get them and old clunker. I learned a lot about cars from driving a clunker. I want the same thing for them. I still have my 1974 VW Thing that I drove in highschool. Such a simple engine. I'd get them something like that.

December 18th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I always said that I would not buy my kids a car, but living where we do that just wasn't realistic.

With the first 2 to drive they drove older car's that were mine and my husbands. They had those for quite a while, and when they died we helped the get older cars. We went older cause they are easier to work on, and repairs tend to be cheaper.

We paid insurance, for quite a while, then when they were settled in their jobs handed the insurance payment over to them. Gas mileage is important, doesn't do any good to have a car if all of their money is being eaten up by their gas tank....as my son is learning with the truck he just had to have lol
December 18th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No car buying here. We have a 12 passenger van so when #1 got her license we did buy a small little car, but not for her exclusively, I drive it most of the time.
December 18th, 2012, 07:42 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I will probably help #1 get a car when he turns 18 and gets his license. He'll be 18 Jan 6th, but has to take the written test and pass the driving test first. Then I believe he still has a 30 day "permit." Though admittedly I don't really know how it works.

It will be something fairly inexpensive (think $1500). I'm sure he will have to learn how to work on his car. I would like to get him something with low mileage, not too small and NOT red. Red is the most often pulled over color car.
#12 is on the way
December 18th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We won't be buying anyone a car, but will probably pay the insurance for our oldest when she goes off to college. The actual car buying she'll have to do herself.

I already know what she'll be buying, my sister has a little car she bought brand new 5 years ago that she wants to sell in another year or 2. It's well looked after and will be a decent price.
December 18th, 2012, 12:28 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We won't just buy cars for the kids, but if we feel they need a car and borrowing ours just won't work, we may buy them one and have them make reasonable payments to us (either with money or working it off). I also have a rule that all of the kids have to learn to do basic repairs before driving.

However, my oldest is 5 so we have time to reconsider
December 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I haven't got to that point yet but it's quickly approaching unfortunately.

My plan has always been that we would purchase them an older but (hopefully) reliable car and they would be 100% in charge of paying for their insurance. It's cheaper that way in the long run and if they don't pay and their ins is dropped they legally cannot drive. This way the law is the bad guy and not me. (Plus, by buying their car my name will be on the title and I will have no problem selling it if they ever become too irresponsible.

However, lately I've been think this plan could become complicated in the future because I have 3 pretty close in age so I would be buying 3 cars, 3 years in a row. OUCH!
December 18th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
nobody is near driving age, but the bigger the safer up here-they'll be in a truck for their first vehicles
December 19th, 2012, 10:08 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Well, my oldest will be getting a car. I don't know what, but it will be fairly cheap. Because we live rurally, and our school district is 9 towns, it's pretty much essential for her to have a car, and she knows that the expectation will be to help get her sisters around.

December 19th, 2012, 04:04 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
We have a long ways to go still, lol but we will not be buying them cars when the time comes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search