Are you thinking ahead???

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2013, 10:34 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I posted on FB that I'm already planning for the first birthday and Easter. I don't really get a "break" between holidays and birthday, with the way everything falls.

My oldest son will be 12 in February, and he will be getting a paper Jamz guitar, a remote control helicopter (small one), and a "party" since he didn't have a big party last year (we alternate who gets a party each year).

Easter is in March this year. I have the baskets planned out, except what kind of candy they will get. Each kid is going to get a movie and a new book (board books for Squeakers). Squeakers is going to have a plush puppy and one of the small little people's princess sets (that's like $5 at walmart) because we got her the castle for Christmas. The other 5 kids will all get a new bath towel with matching wash cloth, and the boys will each get a pack of hotwheels as their toy and my DD who will be 14 will get something like a new pair of earrings or a necklace. I'm not sure on that yet.

How far ahead do you plan? The only gets getting "big" birthday parties this year are the 2 who didn't get one last year, and the ones not getting the parties will have the choice of going out to eat for their special day or a dinner at home with the cake of their choice.

January 1st, 2013, 11:06 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep. We have #4's bday and valentines in feb. #9's bday and Easter in march. #1&3 bays in April. Jan really has nothing but last year my kids were invited to 8(!) bday parties.
January 1st, 2013, 12:13 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have Jan. off. My sisters bday is 1st followed 4 days later buy dhs bday then vday then Nephew in March and so on.
January 1st, 2013, 12:35 PM
I don't do Valentine's day for my kids, other than leting them take cards to school for their classmates. I tend to be cheap about it too and just get their cards from the dollar tree or dollar store, which ever one I can find them at it.

January 1st, 2013, 01:13 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We get them a little something, a mere token. I am trying to get my dh to take the boys to get a mere token for me. I think it is good training. They don't go to school and we really don't do anything as a homeschool group. Maybe I will this year if we are still in this big house!
Babymakes8 likes this.
January 1st, 2013, 01:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No, I haven't thought about it at all. I need to though. One daughter will be five on January 30th, and another will be eight on February 4th. In our family though we really don't do birthday presents. Every other year I throw them a big party with their friends. On the "off years" we do something just as family. So really all I have to do this year is figure out what they' like to do for their special trip or activity and then bake the cakes.
January 1st, 2013, 01:50 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I have #1&3 bdays Jan 11th and 12th then #4 turns one Feb 10th so this time of year is busy
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 10mo 10/10/13

January 1st, 2013, 02:07 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ummmm, I have one who has a birthday in 4 days and I haven't begun planning other than to ask him what he wants to dessert after dinner. No parties for anyone until summertime.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've already bought presents for the twins in Feb and E in April, I'll think about Easter mid-March
January 1st, 2013, 03:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thankfully I do not have to think about birthday parties and gifts until April. I just came out of 3 november birthdays and Christmas, so I'm glad for it.

I do have 3 nephews and a niece with birthdays and my mom.

I don't do Easter baskets, but usually do do something fun for valentines, usually a special dinner. I may get them a wii game this year though, so they have something fun and new at home because I will be leaving on valentines day and they have 2 long weekends while I'm gone.

Back in the day I used to plan these things way ahead of time, but it seems like I am always doing something when it can't wait any longer because there's always so much other stuff going on. But I am fairly organized, so it rolls just fine.
January 2nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan ahead, because the stuff we get is used and have to have plenty of time to shop for that, because you never know what you will find

For Valentines Day, we think it's important for the kids to see Mama and Daddy value each other, so we have a Valentines party at our house. We make pizzas in the shape of hearts, and tons of desserts and stuff. We usually invite the Grandparents and maybe an aunt and uncle.

Easter, haven't gotten there yet. Good for you planniing ahead!

January 2nd, 2013, 07:53 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I do, to a point. DS has a birthday on Jan. 27th, and we're planning his party and have half hisgift bought. I haven't planned much further than that. February is Valentine's day and our anniversary, but no more birthdays for us until July!
January 2nd, 2013, 08:29 AM
Veteran
I'm always planning ahead lol. My bday is in two weeks, mil is the week after. Then Valentines and nieces bday same day. March 11 is my daughters bday and she wants her ears pierced and the next day is my 9 year anniversary. I started looking yesterday for what I can get hubby for Valentines. He usually picks up some candy for the kids that day. The main thing I need to figure out is where I can take my daughter to get her ears pierced. For Easter, we do a little bit of candy but mostly little toys, movies, coloring books, puzzles. I have a little bit of that already and pick stuff up each time I go to the dollar store. We also alternate parties, so this year my 3 year old will have his big party. His bday is the end of May but since it's Memorial Day weekend, we'll do it the first weekend in June.
January 2nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not really. Maybe this year I will a little more, but usually I don't have money to get gifts or any party/holiday stuff til the Friday that DH gets paid before the event.

January 2nd, 2013, 02:46 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I don't do so well planning ahead, but I already had my first birthday of the year yesterday for #3. #1 has hers on Sunday. Then mine is a little later in the month. I don't even know what we're going to get #1 yet, but I feel like it should be special since she'll be 16!!

January 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I don't really plan ahead either. My birthday is in 16 days, but we don't really do anything for that. My kids might plan something, but with them you never know.

Then the next birthday isn't till the end of March, once July hits it's pretty much one birthday after another.

Valentines day I always give the kids a little something, nothing big but the like it/ Easter I plan right before easter cause I can never decide if I am going to make baskets or buy baskets lol
January 2nd, 2013, 03:44 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have three bdays in the 4 weeks. Isaac will be 18 on Sunday, then Laliyaah will be 10 Feb 3 and Elijaah will be 14 on Feb 5th. I have their bdays kinda planned out.

We don't do Easter baskets either, just one large Easter bowl of candy.

I am always on the look out for bday presents on clearance.
#12 is on the way
January 2nd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMomma View Post
I have three bdays in the 4 weeks. Isaac will be 18 on Sunday, then Laliyaah will be 10 Feb 3 and Elijaah will be 14 on Feb 5th. I have their bdays kinda planned out.

We don't do Easter baskets either, just one large Easter bowl of candy.

I am always on the look out for bday presents on clearance.
Our Walmart has a ton of stuff right now, hopefully they will still have some when we get paid on Monday. Last year that is how I got all of Vanna's and a few of the boys things.
January 3rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
Well, I got the February birthday taken care of today. He wanted an Air Hog RC Helicopter for Christmas, but didn't get it. We found a one today on clearance, less than half of the original price, so we got him that and a new shirt with the Avengers on it.

We also picked him up a winter coat, because he didn't have a decent one. He'll get that today.

I also found some Discovery Kids books for the older 3 boys' Easter Baskets and a Mickey Mouse book for my 4 yr old son's Easter Basket. I feel like I'm well on my way to being "ready" LOL

January 3rd, 2013, 11:59 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Is that the helicopter that is a car too?? I wanted to get one for Elijaah. It looks cool.

Laliyaah wants that Butterscotch pony. $120. I need it to go on clearance. I have been watching CL for it too.

I'm gonna check out Walmart tomorrow.
#12 is on the way

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search