Hiring a nanny or live in housemaid

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2013, 04:08 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
So, as I have had my children many times we had a live in nanny. A housemaid also. I have also had no hired help and done everything myself. I am currently without a nanny or a housemaid. Its been hard because of my health issues but is actually very satisfying doing it all on my own along with Dh ( although my bcak and neck pay the price ). I am super picky about organization, and the way things have to be cleaned so I usually end up redoing it for my own satisfaction (when I do have live-ins )

In any case. I like being the main care taker of my children. I love being their example. Honestly sometimes its hard especially when Dh has to travel for his company and Im alone. Im begining to lean towards the idea of hiring a nanny to help with certain things. I feel a little guilty because my older 3 are not living in our house right now. They bought their own and are putting their feelers out. I hope it works for them cus they want it to.

So basically its just gonna be the 5 small ones with me. I would like the nanny to live more like an assistant. the kids have always had good times with them and it opened alot slots for many different things for the entire family to benefit from . So I think once we get back home we will start loooking as the 2 we had with us before, 1 french girl that just started training for airlines. Another older lady from singapore she has some family issues so both are out of question. We would have to start over with our search.

Do any of you ladies here use Hired house help or would you consider getting a nanny or housemaid?
January 2nd, 2013, 06:47 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I were working, either in home or out of, and we had lots of extra money maybe I'd consider a cleaning service. I couldn't have someone live in my household to clean or care for my kids. ESPECIALLY being a sahm, it would make me useless. I don't make money, caring for the kids and scrubbing the toilet IS my job.

January 2nd, 2013, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Repti, I prefer to do it myself. But if health issues were an issue, that might change things? I don't know. Dh and I are pretty self reliant people and want to do for ourselves, if we can.

How young are the 5 little's? Are they in school? If they are in school, you have that time, right?

But you have to do what works for you. It's just never been an option or a desire for our family, so I've never thought about it.

January 2nd, 2013, 07:43 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I'm a SAHM, so it's not something we've really considered. If I were to go back to work, we might look into it but it would have to be someone we knew really well. We have hired my feiend's daughter as a mother's helper though, for a day here and there when I'm particularly busy have a cake order, etc.
January 2nd, 2013, 08:15 AM
Veteran
I don't even like how hubby cleans alot of things so I wouldn't even consider it. As for taking care of my kids, simply put....no. I homeschool anyways.
January 2nd, 2013, 08:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think I'd ever have someone come live with us. The only thing I would get, and hindsight think I should have done when all mine were little just to make it a little easier, is like Repti mentioned, a cleaning service, a couple hours a week just to do the bathrooms and floors (since it's so hard to get done because you constantly get interrupted).

Having someone live with me would feel like more of a burden than a blessing.
January 2nd, 2013, 06:20 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We just got a full time nanny in Sept, otherwise I cannot work plus do the preschool runs four afternoons a week without losing my mind. We've also had a weekly housekeeper for the past six years, she comes for 3hrs each Friday, in Jan she's down to every 2nd Friday. I'm a bad cook, and I suck at cleaning-so it works for us. If I didn't work fulltime online, we wouldn't be able to do it.

Right now we have a live out, but we're bringing her sister across the pond this spring and she will be a live in. We have enough room so it'll be fine
AmiraX4 likes this.
January 2nd, 2013, 09:28 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I have and can do it all by myself too. Health issues and hospital stays have been less stressful with help. I dont have reliable family that can always help out. I wouldnt expect them to anyways.
Things like doc appt (which is very common theme in our household ) would be horrid if we didnt have help. I cant imagine taking every young in every time, that wouldnt be fair to expose them to that.
Theres a plus and minus to everything I guess.
January 3rd, 2013, 04:43 AM
I dunno, it must be different going to the doctor where you are. I don't think bringing my kids along to all the appointments here is exposing them to anything bad. They learn how to behave appropriately when they have to wait somewhere etc.
MamaJessie and jersey_gray like this.

January 3rd, 2013, 05:33 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
It been since batoolee was 2 months I have not had help. Dh came and brought us here to Saudia. I have not had help since. I am not complaining one bit. Im just saying at times its very handy. Plus the kids like the extra doings and things as well. But I am the same as all you moms....its MY job and I love doing it.
January 3rd, 2013, 06:22 AM
I was just thinking maybe they're not as kid friendly at offices there or something. I know obviously the ped's is aimed toward kids, so them not minding that place isn't a surprise, but even when we had Noah's cast off they had way too much fun with my 3 year old lol Of course that was the nurses, the "bone doctor" has the personality of a piece of cardboard.

January 4th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
goodness, when we go to our family doc's office, everyone is moaning and coughing, I don't let the kids touch anything lol! I'm afraid they'll leave worse off than we came in with! Small room, long wait, coughing grossness. The kids are welcome, its just gross!
AmiraX4 likes this.
January 4th, 2013, 04:16 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I've had college students live with us in exchange for assistance around the house. I love it! I'm always sad to see them go (I wish semesters were longer!) Right now, we don't have the space, but if we ever move, I want to have an in-law suit above the garage specifically for this.
jersey_gray likes this.

January 4th, 2013, 10:23 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
ya its not about the children not behaving its about the germs and getting sick. Plus me personally I dont like the enviorment. its not just about doctors visits though....its about the times when DH is gone and I am alone with them and things come up when you need another set of hands...in general its nice but not a requirement.....just thought I would get your thoughts about having one...do you think you would loook down on those of us that have or had one?
January 5th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Regular
You need to do what works best for your family and your situation my dear, and not worry about whether people are judging you or looking down their nose at you. I am SO tired of women tearing each other to shreds over the stupidest things. Really, life is way too short for us to get up in each others faces about what we can or cannot handle. Get the help if you need it and don't feel guilty or less of a mom for it!
January 5th, 2013, 06:54 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilamumto4 View Post
You need to do what works best for your family and your situation my dear, and not worry about whether people are judging you or looking down their nose at you. I am SO tired of women tearing each other to shreds over the stupidest things. Really, life is way too short for us to get up in each others faces about what we can or cannot handle. Get the help if you need it and don't feel guilty or less of a mom for it!
This needs to be shouted from the rooftops!!! Thank you for saying this!
Just_Marie and AmiraX4 like this.

January 5th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If you can afford it I think it would be very nice. Honestly, when you have so many kids, hiring a nanny sounds like a better option than paying for outside daycare. The siblings get to stay together and you have more freedom in your schedule. My uncle had an Au pair when his twins were small and she was a really nice girl. It worked out well for them.

I don't have any help, but if I could afford it I would love to have a cleaning service. Even once or twice a month would be very nice!
January 9th, 2013, 09:19 AM
ummsultan's Avatar Super Mommy
I have 2 live in helpers. One is from Indonesia and one is from Ethiopia. Having 7 kids and a very busy lifestyle here in Kuwait I feel like I really need the extra help around the house and in the kitchen. They are not so much for actually taking care of the kids, but to help maintain a busy household.
January 9th, 2013, 10:03 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I am not fond of a lot of people and would never want someone living in my home or cleaning it whether I could afford it or not. I prefer to do everything my way, myself.

However, to each their own, its just not something that would work for me.
#12 is on the way
January 9th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My MIL keeps offereing to hire and pay for someone to come in weekly and help me. I don't know I just feel weird about it. Then there are times where I think I am being a fool lol

If it's what you want, you can afford it and it doesn't make you feel weird I say do what makes you happy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search