are you 'crunchy' because...

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you have a large family?

Do you use cloth diapers and breastfeed just because it saves money, if you do any of these things at all.

January 2nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I never clothe diaperd. I wanted to, but I am the woman who throws out underwear if the poop in them. So gross, also why my kids get potty trained early. Poop and I are not on any friendly terms.

Breastfeeding, really was for the benefits, when I did it. Formula really isn't that expensive if you go with store brands.
HalfDozen likes this.
January 2nd, 2013, 11:08 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Ok this is the second time today I hear about this "crunchy" stuff??? I totally dont get it...like at all????

But following the pp>>>>

I have cloth diapered in the past, not currently.
I have breastfeed all of my children and most of them till about year and half with exception to the last 2 ...one was in NICU for a month so I pumped and sent, then he just took to a bottle by month 2-3...other one did for a short time then got gagged and my milk dried up.

Does cloth diapering and full time breastfeeding = crunchy mom?
January 2nd, 2013, 11:24 AM
There are varying levels.
Breastfeeding, homeschooling, diva cup, cloth diaper, family bed, baby wearing, making own baby food --- growing own food or something in between, etc etc

This is funny:

Urban Dictionary: crunchy mom

I should also add the cloth I do to save money. Even DH said he wishes we would have learned about it sooner. Breastfeeding I didn't do til #5, and now it's just something I feel is right. I don't judge of course, I formula fed more than I breastfed after all!

I don't do that other stuff. I'll make my own baby food, but kids aren't allowed in my bed, I don't constantly have baby on me (or in my *** lol), and I don't home school or give birth at home or anything else.
AmiraX4 likes this.

January 2nd, 2013, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Based on the definition I am definetly not crunchy.
January 2nd, 2013, 12:10 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I guess Im a soft crunch with soggy ends??
Just_Marie likes this.
January 2nd, 2013, 12:30 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not cruncy.

I breastfed, because it's natural and for the benefits to baby. My first two were breastfed and formula fed, because I went to work. The last 4 were EBF babies. Weaned them at a year. (Squeakers has nursed the longest, being she is 15 months old and we are JUST 3 days no boobie - and thank god because this mama needed a break!)

No cloth diapering here. I said I was going to do it to save $, but I didn't. I have some cloth diapers, those kinds with snaps and are adjustable from birth to potty training and have the liners? Yep, baby shower gift....still in their original plastic packages. Oops. I might open them and use them during potty training. We'll see.

Speaking of, we're going to introduce the potty this month. She's walking, talking more, so it's time to let her at least practice sitting. I'd like to have her completey trained by her 2nd birthday. I'm over diapers.

January 2nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not crunchy. I breastfed all of mine for at least a few months for the health benefits. I tried cloth diapering what it wasn't for me. I like pampers.

I almost forgot that I also homeschool, lol. But that is because we live in a bad area. I would send them to nice schools.
January 2nd, 2013, 01:22 PM
I guess I don't really label myself crunchy, I just used it in this post because that's what other mommies call it lol

January 2nd, 2013, 01:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I did breastfeed! but only 6 months...

Cloth diapers have come a really long way from 15 years ago, if I were starting out now I might have done it.
January 2nd, 2013, 01:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not really sure as far as labels or whatnot.

But we cloth diaper, breastfeed (as long as I can do, I've never been able to make much milk, sadly), homeschool, do natural birth in a hospital, make our own baby food, grow/raise our own food, bed share when babe is little, and try to keep my hubby a happy man

Why do we do those things? I guess it comes down to using the God given resources we have been given. I think most of it's a lot more work, honestly, but than a lot of it saves us money. We homeschool and don't use birth control because it is our conviction, not because it's cool or anything
therevslady likes this.

January 2nd, 2013, 02:08 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Partially to save money and partially because I am a control freak. We garden and raise chickens to save money and eat healthier food. I breastfeed because I am lazy and too save money. I'm planning to use cloth dipes with this baby to save money.

I home school because I think I can do a better job and I like to know everything that is going on with my kids.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 2nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL - I guess I was crunchy. I breastfed all my kiddos. Andrew for longer than I care to admit and he was nursed through another pregnancy and infant before I cut him off. Babies did sleep with us, made baby food, had babies in a birth center, etc.

The only thing that makes me soggy is that I never did the cloth diapers. Bummer. I kinda wish I had.
dannimom likes this.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

January 2nd, 2013, 04:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sarah, you said it well, that's me too!

January 2nd, 2013, 04:38 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I prefer to birth at home becasue I hate doctors and hospitals and all their stupid rules.

I don't bf, because I don't like it. I don't cloth diaper because I have enough laundry all ready.

I feed baby what we eat when they are ready, so if that qualifies as making your own baby food.....lol.

I homeschooled my oldest son for fifth grade, but that was more because I didn't like the teacher or principal and I am always right.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
January 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I have breastfed all of my girls, and my 4th was the longest so far. I don't do it because I'm "crunchy" but because I feel it's something that I can do that gets them off on a good foot. And, frankly it's far easier than getting up in the middle of the night to make bottles, etc. so I guess it also makes me lazy. Snuggle time doesn't hurt, either.

When they're babies, they do sleep with us, but again that's the lazy thing. I don't stay awake to nurse.

NO WAY on the cloth diapers. I have bodily function issues. I wash things 2-3 times just when they've been peed on. Poop-stained undies hit the garbage. I can't imagine washing dirty diapers in the same machine that I use for all of my regular clothes. I just can't get past it. And I also don't use little potty seats. Again, YUCK!!!
dannimom likes this.

New picture in progress......
January 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm frugal, so I do whatever is cheapest within reason

Lucky mother to five!

January 3rd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran
I don't use the term crunchy but I guess I am lol.

I breastfed my oldest only until 6 months because I didn't have support. My second and third were breastfed until they were almost 2 and my 13 month old is still breastfeeding. I breastfeed for the health benefits not because it's cheaper though.

I still am not sure I believe the cloth diapers is cheaper because the water, laundry soap,ect.
My youngest is the only one I cloth diapered and that is only because she has a sensitive bottom and had horrible rashes with the others. All my kids were potty trained before they were two (youngest is almost trained already) so money for diapers is not an issue for us.

They all co-slept because it's easier for middle of the night feedings(None of my kids have slept through the night before 2 years old so it's HARD)

My youngest was born at home (she came too fast) but any more we have will be born at home because we don't trust the hospital staff and it was way easier and way less painful than at the hospital.

We don't do baby food, we do table food when they're ready.
dannimom likes this.
January 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I breastfeed for health reasons, because it's cheaper, and easier. I cloth diaper because it's cheaper, I babywear somtimes because it keeps my hands free. I bedshare some when my babies are tiny (they start in bassinets, but just feeding them in bed and usually fall back asleep. I homeschool because I feel it'sthe best option for us, and I make our own baby food because it's cheaper and for health reasons.
January 3rd, 2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran
Forgot to add I home-school.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search