Budget recipes for our families.....please share!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just recently started accepting that beans are OK. I am not a big fan, but I don't hate them anymore.

January 7th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Regular
Living in Australia I can't really give you an idea of the cost of these meals, but for us they are our 'go to' meals when things are tight:

pumpkin soup and seed bread (I cook it with 1/2 cup lentils and once the lentils are soft I blend it all together. You can't taste the lentils but they are an excellent source of protein) This meal is surprisingly filling. I also sprinkle some cinnamon or nutmeg into the soup, really adds a nice flavour to it.

spaghetti and mince bolognaise (I use 500g of mince and then bulk it up with onion, tomato, finely grated carrot and zucchini - that way the kids get plenty of veg and they don't even know it's there!)

I know I have more, just need to scratch around and find 'em for you! (Getting old, my memory isn't what it used to be
January 8th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good to know Beth. Our kids aren't real picky, some aren't at all. But, I think it would take a bit to get used to them. They are suppose to be cheap and good for you.

January 8th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
here is one i like to make in the crock pot.

HAM AND BEAN SOUP
1 bag pink beans
1 slice ham steak (or left over ham) small cubed
onion and garlic for seasoning
1 small can tomato sauce or paste

soak beans overnight in cold water. rinse in morning, put in crock and fill with water to cover by about 3 inches or so. add rest of ingredients and cook on low all day long! i serve over rice sometimes and have sourdough bread with it.

my mom made it with dried lima beans and it had a creamy consistency (corn starch maybe) and i did not like it at all.

~~terre~~
January 8th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
also another that my mom would make is baked beans and hot dogs. just open, dump, slice up and heat!

once i was so poor that i had literally hardly any food for my kids. i made a big dutch oven of basic ground beef goulash with whatever i had handy. each night at dinner i would heat it up, add something else (more corn, vegi's rice, pasta....) and stretch it for another meal. we ate off that pot for like 5 days!!
UrbanMomma likes this.

~~terre~~
January 8th, 2013, 10:22 AM
A friend of our has a story similar to that MIL. He wasn't very well off with his mom and dad, so mom made split pea soup? I believe it was, and they ate that for over a week. The one night his dad came home from work, saw that split pea soup was on the table again, picked it up without one word and threw it, bowl and all, right through the window.

Sometimes we have to eat a lot of rice and noodles with different stuff on it, but no one's ever thrown anything through the window lol
wishing likes this.

January 8th, 2013, 01:56 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When my parents were starting out, they were REALLY poor. For a while, while they were building a cabin to live in, they slept in a small shed that later became our tool shed. They had a mattress in there that didn't even quite fit. They said the cats and chickens slept in there with them too!! Anyway, once they finally had a freaking kitchen, my mom made cornbread with pinto beans for dinner. My Dad really liked it and commented he could eat that every day. So, she made it for about a month until he finally gave up and said he couldn't eat it every day after all. lol

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 8th, 2013, 03:04 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Back in the day, when it was just me and my mom (brothers lived with my grandparents) we ate a LOT of boiled carrots and rice, and I mean a LOT!! LOL.

We do "budget" meals, like poor boy casserole, beans and hot dogs, etc, but with so many of us, a meal doesn't last more than 2 days.
#12 is on the way
January 8th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Very Good ideas ladies!!

Tonite I made homemade bread (2 loaves), cooked carrots from the garden which are still super yummy, and ramen noodles. Certainly not a steller meal, but it worked. Hubby is at work tonight, so it's just the kids and I and I am their hero for making ramen noodles . For some reason, they love those things.

Tomorrow night we are having french toast. If I make two loaves of bread in the bread machine (kinda cheating, hehe), all I really have to buy is some syrup and juice, so that's super cheap.

January 9th, 2013, 06:30 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I love breakfast for dinner!!
HalfDozen likes this.
#12 is on the way
January 11th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Regular
Yeah - breakfast for dinner lover here too! We used to have scrambled egg on toast or eggs and chips (thick cut french fries) or baked beans on toast - I always loved breakfast for dinner because I hated eating veggies
January 11th, 2013, 07:17 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I sometimes use the ramen noodles ( i throw out the flavor packs cus its just salt and mgs ) those noodles make awesome super fast veg stir fry. I boil the noodles in the microwave, saute some veggies ( we like zuccini, brocoli, carrots, onions, garlic, mild chilli peppers ) along with greek yougurt. Super easy and yummmy.

Also, a couple cans of garbonzo beans ( according to family size ) warm them saving the juice. Put in a blender or I use the hand soup blizer thingy and add some of the liquid add some fresh lemon juice, salt, garlic according to taste. Spread on a plate and add some good EVOO and paprika. Eat it with any type of bread you like. Super fast, yummy, cheap!! and fillling, good for you.

Mom2many.....if you ever need to know how to make an arabic dish that you missed, I will give an idea how to make it. Theres such a wide variety of type of arabic food according to which country. Anyhow, have you tried a bread bakery for the bread?
February 19th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post
I made this for dessert tonight and the kids sure enjoyed it, so I thought I would share it. We use this in the summer mostly, but it's good in the winter also

Koolaid Sherbert

2 cups sugar
2 envelopes koolaid (any flavor, orange and strawberry work good)
6 cups milk

Mix in a bowl until dissolved and pour into two shallow baking dishes. Cover and freeze for one hour or until slightly thickened. Than take out of freezer and hand mix for a bit to loosen it back up. Than return to baking dishes or I put them into individual plastic disposable cups, and freeze until solid. Remove from freezer about 20 minutes before serving.

Yummy!
TFS!!!!! I tried this a couple of weeks back and it was a HUGE hit!!

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
February 22nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Making the koolaid sherbert and the potatoes dusted with olive oil tonight - and a roast chicken.
February 22nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad you liked it! Potatoes sound yummy too!!!

February 26th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I made the kool aid thing too. RJ said he didn't like it. I'm not really sure why. I made a double batch, definitely don't have to this next time, a single batch would be plenty for a dessert.

January 21st, 2014, 03:14 PM
These are some great budget recipes! We are actually looking to compile a list of similar recipes on our new blog site that is all about saving money and making good financial decision.

If you submit the recipe before Feb 5th, you are entered to win $100. Thanks for taking a look! BudgetDr[dot]com
February 19th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Super Mommy
A couple cheap recipes my family loves,
Bbq chicken
8-10 chicken legs
Bottle of Bbq sauce
1/2 cup water
Put in slow cooker on low for 6hrs
Serve over rice

Cola pork chops
1c pop
1c ketchup
Sprinkle 4tbsp brown sugar
Bake for an hour
Over rice or potatoes

We eat lots of spaghetti, pancakes, shepards pie, sweet n sour meatballs and lots of rice.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.

March 19th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Regular
I am definitely following this thread. I just recently quit my FT job, which after childcare and travel expenses, wasn't bring in much anyway, but a little extra is still a little extra. Needless to say, I'm now working on ways to tighten our budget here and there and this thread will help. I just wish I could get my kids to eat beans! My two oldest (8 and 7) are very picky.
March 19th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Super Mommy
Ya know not to be gross but all three times I made the famous Tater tot casserole about an hour later 12 people are fighting over toilets. It goes right threw us. I made it different a couple times cause the original Duggar recipe is pretty rich in dairy and cream soup but we still can't eat it. Its a shame cause it does go pretty far.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search