Budget recipes for our families.....please share!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2013, 05:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I made this for dessert tonight and the kids sure enjoyed it, so I thought I would share it. We use this in the summer mostly, but it's good in the winter also

Koolaid Sherbert

2 cups sugar
2 envelopes koolaid (any flavor, orange and strawberry work good)
6 cups milk

Mix in a bowl until dissolved and pour into two shallow baking dishes. Cover and freeze for one hour or until slightly thickened. Than take out of freezer and hand mix for a bit to loosen it back up. Than return to baking dishes or I put them into individual plastic disposable cups, and freeze until solid. Remove from freezer about 20 minutes before serving.

Yummy!

January 3rd, 2013, 06:39 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Mmm, sounds yummy! I have a few really good ones, I'll look them up and post them later
January 3rd, 2013, 09:16 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Thats sounds like fun for the kids to make and yummy.....

Thanks....now I have another use for Koolaid!!!
January 3rd, 2013, 11:04 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I think you asked about sharing? IMO pretty much anything you make by scratch is fair budgeting!
January 4th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh yummy! Gonna try that
January 4th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will post our cheap meals in a bit too. If that's what you're asking

January 4th, 2013, 09:08 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would love to hear about other's cheap meals too.

Our cheapest one I think would probably have to be beans, potatoes and rolls. I make a pot of beans from a bag of dried beans, so that's probably around $1, then I make 2.5 lbs of red potatoes which cost $1.25; at my store it's $2.50 for a 5 lb bag. I boil them, then put them on a baking sheet, flatten a bit with a potato smasher, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and then put a pat of butter on top of each potato. Then I bake at 350F until the edges of the broken skin start to brown. If we have any extra shredded shredded cheese I'll throw that on top to melt. I also make rolls from scratch to go with it. I don't know what the ingredients for that + the butter cost, but the whole meal has got to be less than $5 to feed us, 6 people.
Just_Marie likes this.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 4th, 2013, 09:30 AM
We have a lot of tater tot casserole. I think everyone knows what that is, but I use ground turkey instead of ground beef, or even spam (generic) is cheaper. Ground turkey from aldi is 1.59, then 2.00 for tater tots, about 1.20 for 2 cans of green beans, and about 1.00 or less for cream soup of some sort. We usually have cheese on top too, if I get it it's from aldi and only a couple bucks for 12 ounces. So about $8 for all of us, and a small scoop leftover for DH to take to work.

We also eat spaghetti and meatballs a lot. I got a TON of this fancy cheese that's like a hard swiss tasting cheese that we grate and put on top of the spaghetti instead of buying Parmesan. The meatballs I use 1 lb ground beef, 1 lb country sausage, about 3 pieces of bread, 2 eggs, and some ground cheese (usually that same cheese, but any hard cheese would work). I measure them to 2 ounces exactly, roll them not too firm (that's important) and bake for 30 minutes at 350.

Salad is something cheap for us too. I use wic to get the salad and 1 green pepper and 1 red pepper. Then it's about $7 for a 5lb bag of chicken breast, Rob grills it, and we have the salad topped with the chicken, peppers, corn, black beans, croutons, cheese. Sometimes no croutons and I serve them in tortilla bowls. I got the perfect tortilla for xmas, it's AWESOME!
Just_Marie likes this.

January 4th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
those potatoes sound awesome, sarah!!

~~terre~~
January 4th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
These are great ideas ladies!! Yes, cheap meals is what I was looking for and even recipes for things we haven't tried

Sarah, I have looked at the beans because they are cheap and a good protein source. Can you recommend one kind over the other? And how do you prepare them?

Repti. I had forgotten about the tater tot hotdish, thanks for reminding me. I guess I'll have to look at salad again, our kids eat a ton in the summer with the garden but we don't eat much in the winter.

January 4th, 2013, 11:10 PM
my kids are picky and don't like casserole type things that are mixed together, they like their foods plain and separate--pasta is always easy, either plain with parm or I'll make a ground beef tomato sauce that I mince the meat really fine for--I've grown picky eaters
HalfDozen likes this.
January 5th, 2013, 02:40 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Thats funny...I had never heard of "tater tot casserole" unitl I watched an espisode of 19 kids and counting and thought it was a dish the kids made up?/
I doubt my kids or Dh would eat that , but sounds like its hit for sure!!

Lentil soup can be made very cheap. and saute onions to sprinkle on top along with chopped cliantro. Take arabic bread and cut it into squares are bake in EVOO till golden crunchy. Very hearty and super filling.
January 5th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I usually use pinto beans. I can't remember exactly how I do it. I haven't cooked them in a long time because I couldn't stand the during my first trimester when I was so nauseous. I pretty much rinsed them, covered with water, bring to a boil, add some seasonings and butter and cook until done. I like using some creole seasoning on them.

January 5th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I don't like cilantro. I tried it in several recipes it's just too strong flavored.

Another thing we eat that's not too expensive is tater tots and fish sticks. They have a bag at walmart that is 7.99 for like a million sticks and it lasts at LEAST three meals. If we have extra $ I put the sticks on a hamburger bun with sliced cheese and tartar sauce.

Get a cheap beef roast, chunk it, slow cooker all day with gravy, then serve over noodles. I will be making this with mushrooms since a friend is bringing the majority of a flat of mushrooms lol

January 5th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Anything frozen must be more expensive to ship up here, tater tots and fish sticks cost me $8 a bag and there's no way they'd last three meals
January 5th, 2013, 07:43 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I would like to know how you get your kids to eat things like tator tots and fish sticks??? my kids just dont like any frozen meals. the package brand names one im talking about like my mother bought some lean cuisne kids for them young ones and wouldnt even open thier mouth

Last edited by AmiraX4; January 5th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
January 6th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Ill have to look how many is in the bag. I think its like 144? or something, for 7.99.

as for getting them to eat, you put it in front of them and say eat or dont. not my stomach.

January 7th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies!

January 7th, 2013, 12:01 PM
LOL, yeah, here's what's for dinner. Next meal is in the morning.

January 7th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
The meals in my house are never 'cheape' there's just cheaper. Sam being vegetarian means buying some meat substitutes and soups separate from ours. Those are mainly for dishes where she will have nothing to eat cause it's a one pot type thing. Then there has to be enough leftovers for the hubby and son to take to work, Sam is happy with a cheese sandwich.

we eat a lot of potato's (we do live in Idaho) and rice. I'm not a fan of rice, but the hubby loves it and so do the kids. Ramen noodles can be cooked many different ways. Beans, not a fan of them, it's a texture thing so if they refried I have a hard time eating them.

Amira, when I lived in Cali we lived in a predominately Arabic community and I loved going down to the small grocery store and trying out new things. Half of the stuff I could never pronounce but the man that worked there always assured me I would love it, he was right lol. I miss the breads, I can't find any out here
Repti.Mom and AmiraX4 like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search