Meals

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was just thinking about meals....

Do you cook breakfast? Do you all sit and eat at the same time?

What about lunches?

And supper? Do you eat at the same time every day? Does everyone sit until everyone is done?

Do you have ever "fend for yourself" supper?

We rarely eat breakfast together, my younger 2 are early birds and want to eat as soon as they wake up, the other's like to take their time waking up and getting dressed and then eat. I don't love breakfast (and also need a little time to wake up) so I don't make it. Dh is never in for breakfast. I do make breakfast on Saturdays.

If we're home at lunch everyone usually just makes a sandwhich at some point, occasionally I'll make it.

I do cook supper every day, unless I've made good meals all week, then we sometimes have a fend for yourself supper on fridays. If we don't have activities then I really like having supper as soon as the kids get home from school at 4, I feel better when I eat a big meal earlier, and 4 is my "snacky" time, and it's nice to have it all cleaned up before we get into the bedtime routine.
January 9th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I make breakfast for 4. 2 of them eat at school. I don't eat something til later usually.

The only time someone eats lunch here is Weds and weekends, otherwise they all eat at school. The kids eat lunch together on weekends.

I cook supper a lot during the winter, Rob cooks a lot in the summer, well grills. The kids all eat together at one time, then we usually eat a little later once they're all settled. They don't have to stay at the table til everyone is done. When they're done eating they are supposed to go downstairs to clean the playroom.

They're kinda too little to fend for themselves yet.

January 9th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, breakfast- #4 brings me the baby and a bottle. He then gets cereal ready with #5 for them and 6,7,8. Dh makes breakfast for him, me 7,8,9. 1,2,3 get something when they get up.

Lunch. I usually assign 2or 3 to make lunch for them, 4,5,6,7,8. Dh gets his, I get mine, or we go out. I make 9's.

I make dinner for everyone. We all eat at the same time. It is usually between 5-6.
January 9th, 2013, 12:40 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Everybody eats, usually at regularly scheduled times.....most days. Kids eat together, I hang in the kitchen with them. I eat afterwards and dh usually eats late.
#12 is on the way
January 9th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I usually cook something for breakfast 2-3 times a week. Otherwise it's cereal or a sandwich (my kids LOVE sandwiches).

Lunch I also cook, sometimes it's simple, sometimes it's leftovers and other times it's creative. I have been known to just give them a later snack, known as dunch, and then cook an early dinner.

I almost always cook dinner, if I am sick or really tired Megan will come up with something, but that's not often.

The littles all eat at the table. Me, hubby, and the older ones eat where ever since we all eat at different times.
January 9th, 2013, 01:27 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
The oldest three usually have breakfast at the same time, while I nurse Hannah. Sonetimes I make it and sometimes the oldest two get their toast or cereal. The kids eat lunch together, and I usually sit with them but eat after. We all eat supper together (I usually cook, sometimes DH does). Our meals are at approximately the same time.
January 9th, 2013, 02:11 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Breakfast~ Cereal, poptarts. The school dc eat mostly together. The littles graze when they get up. Dh will cook sometimes when he's home. Breakfast time is before school or when they get up.
Lunch~ School dc eat at their respective schools they choose their own "hot lunch". The littles either graze or ask me to make something if they are really hungry. During summer break I make lunch for all of them. Lunch time is noon.
Dinner~ I make, bring home or order in. I have the dc sit at the table together. I join sometimes, but usually it's just too stressful. I like to eat in peace. Dinner time, I aim for 5, but sometimes it's a little later. Dh is King of the grill during the summer and the rest of the year if we have company he is usually the one cooking. His brother is a 5* chef and has taught him a few things.

Last edited by ~mommy~; January 9th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
January 9th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Since they are homeschooled, we eat all meals together. They all have the same wake up time and bed time and meals are at the same time, within 30 minutes or so.

This sounds really strict, and I guess it kind of is, but it works well for us and the kids always know what is coming up for the next day because we do a meal dry erase board.

January 9th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My kids eat something simple for breakfast...cereal, eggos, bagels, etc. They all four sit at the table together. I'm usually in and out. The same for lunch. They usually have sandwiches or mac and cheese with some fruit.

For dinner I do cook and we all sit down together and eat as a family.
January 10th, 2013, 06:54 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
The only one who eats breakfast on a regular basis is #4. I usually give her a toaster waffle, toast, or a bagel as we're headed out the door, and she eats it in the car. On days we're home, she will still have one of those things, but also yogurt and/or fruit.

Lunches are at their respective places during the day. Weekend lunches are occasionally made, but more often, they pick their own. The oldest 3 are fully capable of doing their own.

Dinner is the one meal I like to have together. We usually aim for around 6-7, depending on when we are all home and what we are having. I usually cook, but if hubby's home before me, he will cook. Usually at least once a week, we will have "whatever you want night". My girls like that because they have control over the meal, and everyone does their own thing. Very rarely we order out, and we usually reserve meals out for special occasions. We try to all sit until everyone's done, but #4 is especially slow so I usually let the older girls get their stuff cleaned up while she's finishing.

January 10th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the five kids eat cereal, I eat an apple standing at the island--dh left for work three hours earlier and they have breakfast meetings
lunch-nanny usually feeds the four kids while I do work, then she keeps me a sandwich or warms something up for me-dh does something at work
supper-she makes supper and feeds the five kids and I put them to bed-dh and I usually eat together when he gets home at 7pm
January 11th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Regular
I never cook breakfast as the kids normally get up quite early and make themselves some Weetbix or oats porridge in the microwave.

Lunch they have at school as school hours are 8.40 - 2.50. On weekends I make sandwiches and fruit.

Dinner I cook at least 5 nights a week and the kids and I sit at the dining room table together. DH gets home between 6.30 and 7pm so he eats alone. When the kids are older I would like us all to eat dinner together as a family so I'll give them a snack around 4pm to hold them over until 6.30.

I prefer to excuse the kids from the table once they have finished eating as I find if they remain at the table they end up distracting the others, so it is just easier and more peaceful if they excuse themselves and go and do whatever they want as long as it is quiet.
January 11th, 2013, 03:34 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Usually we are on schedule...I do all the cooking. I make all our meals ( with execption of course when we dine out ) and we eat together, sometimes Dh is out and its just me and the kids.
This will change in a couple of weeks as 3 of the young ones will be doing either school or preschool.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search