Let's talk beverages

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you buy juice or juice boxes?

Do you buy water bottles?

What about cans of pop (or soda, whatever you call it where you are) or pop in general.

I got to thinking about this, because when the kids have friends over they always ask for juice. It's happened that I don't have any, because we don't drink it. I'm sure there's some that would like it, but I don't like spending the money of juice(it's just a thing) and I like the thirst quenching calorie free water option. We sometimes have juice with our saturday breakfast, and when we have guests.

Generally if we go anywhere I bring 3 or 4 refillable water bottles, but I do always have water bottles in the van in case the kids do get thirsty and the refillable ones are empty, way cheaper than buying 1 water bottle. I try not to use them.

I do have cans of pop in the cold room, but we'll go weeks without touching them. Sometimes the kids will have a can on the weekend. Or if I'm really fun we'll have ice cream floats.
January 10th, 2013, 12:02 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
We keep juice boxes/capri suns for lunches because they're quick & don't spill. Generally, we have some type of juice in the house in a regular container. We always have water, and the girls all have their own cups/bottles, but they much prefer juice, lemonade, or milk. As for pop, yes, we have it, usually in cans, and I only buy it when it's on sale, except for 1 kind that I like. They sometimes have a tendency to sneak that before I get home from work, but I always find out. They are allowed to have pop 1 day on the weekend. Any time we're traveling, all "normal" nutrition requirements are off.

January 10th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No juice boxes, no water bottles, soda maybe a few times a year. Reminds me I have to buy a couple cans of soda, Noah needs one to take to school to draw for art.

We get juice in bottles once in a while with WIC, most times I don't even get it.

January 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I buy juice when it's on sale, at least once a month, if it's store-able I'll stock up on some. I also can grape juice so we have that when the urge strikes, much better then store bought.

We drink a lot of tea, sweet tea for most of us but Sam like it unsweetened. There's also at least Kool-Aid in the fridge, on of my favorite things is one packet kool-aid (orange flavor) and once can of frozen oj. It's also great for kids party, add a little vanilla ice cream and you have yummyness in a cup lol.

My husband and I have a weakness...soda. I'm a Dr. Pepper girls and he lives (literally) on Pepsi. I buy him a 24 pack for work and it might last 3 days, we buy bottled for the house. I'm cheaper though because I prefer Walmart's brand. The kids are allowed a glass or two a day.

I meant to add for travelling we have refillable water bottle and water bladders. I also, depending on how far we are going and how long we will be gone, keep an ice chest in our vehicles.
January 10th, 2013, 01:01 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We buy juice, as a treat, when it's on sale for a really good price. DH and I drink pop from time to time, but stock up when it's on sale and keep it in the cold room. The kids are only allowed pop (the older two) when we're at a birthday party, or when we go out to eat (once a month at most for the most part). Otherwise, the kids mostly drink water, and milk with their meals.
January 10th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't often buy juice for meals, just small ones for school lunches
I buy soda in pop and big bottles
I do buy bottles of water for outings, we always seem to lose those refillable bottle tops, drives me crazy
January 11th, 2013, 05:43 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
We do buy alot of bottled water. We have the huge water dispenser that holds 5 gallon jugs plus the water dispenser from the fridge that the young kids enjoy getting by themselves, so that is what is most often drank or milk. I am the only one besides my older 3 that drink soda. I try not to drink it very often. We only buy juice that is pure juice. no juice 'drinks' which is what most box juices are. And no added sugar ect ect....
January 11th, 2013, 06:55 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We buy milk, frozen juice concentrate and jugs of water. I don't buy bottled water unless it's soccer/x country/track season or something. And even then we try to use reusable water bottles as much as possible. Sodas are for special occasions, when we go to companies house or something like that.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 11th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran
We only buy juice if it's 100% juice and maybe about 3-4 times a year but not juice boxes. We don't drink soda except when we go to parties and that's limited. We live in the desert so bottled waters are something we always have with us.
January 11th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids only drink apple juice. I buy about 5 gallons a week. I also buy tons of apple juice boxes because the 2 yr old will only drink juice boxes. I also put juice boxes in the twins lunch boxes for school.

We buy tons of pepsi 24oz 6-packs. My DH drinks tons of them. Maybe 4 of the 6 packs a week.

We also buy bottled water but we go thru that pretty slowly. I mostly drink fake walmart brand crystal lite drink mix.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

January 12th, 2013, 07:26 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We buy disposable water bottles. Little ones Ds2 takes to school and refills throughout the day. They also drink them sometimes at the house. I buy the bigger water bottles for the adults (aquafina). We have well water and it's not really drinkable...It is, it just tastes terrible. Also buy capri sun/kool aid jammers, soda for the adults (once in a while I let the older ones have some) Sams Club has 24 packs of 24 oz. pepsi products I get diet for me and my sister (when she's here) and reg. for my mom. Dh prefers Dr. Pepper so I get that for him, starbucks iced coffees for dh. Bottles of juice usually 100% and often apple. Depending on the littles diets I will water it down about 50/50 or give it to them straight.
And of course gallons and gallons of milk.
January 12th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. I also make a lot of iced tea. I discovered cold brew tea bags, omg they make it so easy! I just put 4 tea bags in a gallon pitcher, pour in a gallon of water and sit it on the counter for a while until it has brewed enough. Then I add the sugar, stir and throw in the fridge. Dh and I drink it; I don't usually let the kids have it.

January 14th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My kids mainly drink milk or water. We go through a lot of milk. My littest likes apple juice. Sometimes I buy juice boxes, but if I do we drink them up right away. It's my own fault too. If I know I have the juice boxes I just take the lazy route and hand those out rather than pouring drinks.

The kids don't drink soda, but dh and I do. We really should quit because I can't afford to buy it for everyone, and they will soon be old enough to start asking.
January 14th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never buy juice and never buy soda. (Lyssa has two non-negotiable resitrictions..juice and soda.) I did used to buy soda for myself at sonic but I'm soda free now.

I am a major water snob. I'm addicted to bottled water and I wish so much I could train myself to drink tap water. We have filters on our sink and everything. Stainless steel bottles for each of us and yet we go thru 4 24-pks of bottled water a week, sometimes less. This is a topic that really plagues me...I hate to be so wasteful. (Confession...when I go out I will fill my steel bottle with bottled water because I am ashamed of it...how sad is that?!)

The kids milk...we go thru 4 gals a week.

I drink hot green every morning. I'm the only one so that lasts a while.
I guess we do drink alot of iced tea in the summer.
January 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Can you recycle your water bottles? Maybe that would help make you feel better about drinking so much bottled water.

January 14th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I keep saying I will but it just piles up and then I get frustrated. Our area doesn't have services for recyclables. There is one group that will take them but it's on one certain day for a 3 hr window. If I worked on being more organized with my time Im sure I could make it happen.
January 15th, 2013, 12:47 PM
nicolelogg's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We only drink 100% juice we usually dilute it to half water half juice, milk, water. Bill and I drink coffee, hot cider, and tea. I have a soda drinking problem we actually just got a sodastream, and I love it, but only buy the natural soda syrups that have pure cane sugar.
January 17th, 2013, 07:30 AM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
I buy one big jug of orange juice once every two weeks. Once it's gone, it's gone though... I don't go buy more until the next big grocery shop. I buy Diet Coke for myself, but I don't allow my kids to have soda. For the most part, my kids just drink water... which they prefer anyway. When my stepkids originally moved in, they were addicted to soda, but we broke them of it pretty quickly LOL

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

January 17th, 2013, 11:16 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We buy water bottles. I like them and the kids take them in their lunches. I do buy those hawaiian punch single serving juice things that you can add to water bottles. Or I buy the lemonade ones or others that are 99 cents a box. My husband likes MIO (the squirt bottle of flavoring that you can add to water bottles).

We also recently bought a water jug that holds the big water bottles. We always have milk in the house too. We buy soda when there is a great sale, but limit the big kids to a can a day when we have it in the house. We don't generally buy juices...though today I did buy a gallon of apple cider because it was 99 cents and my kids like it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search