How big is your dream house?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm on a "one new thread a day kick"....

I know we talk about how big our house is on here from time to time, and I know we all can use the space, and yet at the same time, how much space is enough space?
I read this advice column once about the wife getting a job so they could afford their dream house. (they said don't do it) but the guideline for this day and age (houses are much bigger now than they used to be) they gave was about 400 sq ft per person. It always kind of stuck with me.

My house is 3200 square feet, and mudroom/garage attached to it. It's enough space, I really don't think we need more and I like that we're still very "together" in it. If it were bigger I'd probably just have more "stuff". There's a lot of housebuilding going on around us, and most people build a bigger house than us with less people in it. I know space is nice, but at the same time I wonder when enough is enough.

So my question is, if you were to build a house this year, how big would it be? How many bedrooms/bathrooms?
January 11th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We moved last year into our home. We have 3600 sq ft and 6 bed/2 bath. It's perfect. Our dream house would have a bigger kitchen/dining area. We have a great size one now with a buffet line even, but a better arranged one, maybe, would be better.

But, as far as size, I wouldn't want any bigger. Just differently layed out.

January 11th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I think it's not so much about square footage, but the set up of that footage.

My friends house has maybe a 100 more square feet then mine, but her house feels so much bigger. Between my basement and the upper level it's about 2,000 sq ft, but it's set up like little rooms and there are doors everywhere. Then there's the basement, while it's very large has 2 bedrooms, the washing area and a coal/storage room...it's the basement. It's not really 'livable' space.

So I would keep the footage but do a more open floor plan, with more storage options and another bathroom. One bathroom sucks, it's perfectly doable but it would be nice to have another one.
January 11th, 2013, 08:06 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know, does a maid come with the dream house to clean it? I would like to have an extra room for an office and another for a gym. One bedroom for me and dh, one for our daughter and then probably two for the 4 boys, 2 to a room would work out ok. Then, I would want a large laundry room, a living room, a den and 2-3 bathrooms. So I guess 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, with a den, 2 bonus rooms and a laundry room. That's how it would be listed in a realty ad, lol.
therevslady, ~mommy~ and HalfDozen like this.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 11th, 2013, 08:21 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
We own 2 houses. One in here in Saudi Arabia and one in the states. Our house here in Saudi Arabia is I believe 7400sq feet. 5 bedrooms, 1 huge master bed with nice size bathroom and double sink, one ensuite, 1 formal living room, 1 formal dining room, 1 family room, 1 good size play room, 6 bathrooms all except 1 have shower included. a maids room. huge kitchen with a big walkin pantry with 2 level shelves around 2 walls. 2 seperate entrances, its a big house 2 floors but honestly we dont need that much space. Even if my older ones lived with us its still alot of unused space. and its not that cozy!!

Our home in the states we just bought before our 16 month old was born. That house is one level. and I think 4500 sq feet alot smaller than this one here. it has open plan living and dining areas. only 3 bathrooms one does not have a bathtub or shower in one of them. But even though its smaller, I really feel its much more cozier and homey feeling. I love it. I dont think a super huge house is a dream of mine at all. I just want a warm family living area that makes us happy.

Last edited by AmiraX4; January 11th, 2013 at 08:23 AM.
January 11th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yeah I don't want bigger, I just want different. One more full bathroom, no crawl space under part of the basement so they could have a HUGE playroom, and no slanted ceilings upstairs. Our kitchen is pretty big, and we don't use the dining room for anything except homework really. Oh and of course everything would be new and untouched. No chipped door frames, no seams showing in the walls.. nothing like that! lol
HalfDozen likes this.

January 11th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The house I own is 3/2 w 1382 sqft. It is way too small for us now. If we added the one bedroom it would be fine, better. But then the layout would be wonky.

The one we are in is a 4/3, 2500 sqft. It is perfect size wise. But we can't afford to buy it.

The building more than needed thing is something I have been looking at and thinking about. I guess because people want big nice things and can afford it, I can't judge. But to be honest I am becoming a communist. Why did my friend build this huge house for her two kids? Why did my inlaws neighbors buy a 5/3 for their one kid? I know in the American way of thinking it is fine, because they could afford it.

I am trying not to get all bitter and jealous. I don't work. I have a college degree and chose to stay home and raise my kids instead of pursuing a career. I am happy with that choice. I can't get mad now. But I kind of am a little frustrated. I want to say something snarky about Amira giving me some money, but I don't want to be that way. Maybe I need to go do some reading lessons instead of being here right now.
January 11th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was waiting for someone to snap on me the other day on FB for saying that people are stupid for CRYING about it when their kids can't have their own bedrooms.. then adding if it was so **** important then they shouldn't have had that many kids.

January 11th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If I homeschooled I'd wish for a bonus room over the garage, so I could have the space to keep organized.

I was talking to my friend yesterday and she was complaining about the cost of her kitchen (they're building a house) what they've chosen is $10000 over the base price and everything is so expensive. I had to bite my tongue, because you either a) make different kitchen choices and b) if you want the money to spend on your perfect kitchen, don't build a 4000 sq ft 6 bedroom house for the 5 of you. Talk about first world problems.
Farmers-wife likes this.
January 11th, 2013, 11:11 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I would like at least 1 more bedroom. We bought our house new, and it's 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms. It was already built so we didn't choose the layout, and there are things I would definitely do differently. If my kids didn't have such huge age gaps, I wouldn't have many issues with them sharing rooms, and now that we're adding a boy to the mix, I'm not sure where we'll put him. We have time -- he'll go in a crib in our room for a year or 2 at least. By that point, the oldest will probably be going off to college. We had already been thinking about building a bedroom and bath in the basement, and I'm fine with that once she hits college-age. I don't want her down there while she's still in high school because it's too easy to get out. I don't know if she would, but why tempt needlessly? I told my husband I really WANTED a 5-bedroom house for when we have company, but at the time, we only had the 3 and no plans for more. None of our family lives close so when they visit, they stay with us. Oh well, we'll make it work.

Repti, let me tell you, the lack of dents, etc. is very short-lived. Our dog put a hole in a wall, the floors are all scratched, stuff is not nearly so "shiny" anymore. And I still have tons of rooms I want to paint because they painted the whole house with the same 2 colors - 1 below chair rail and 1 above. They're not terrible colors, but they don't match, in my opinion, and we didn't have the say because the house was already done.

I think we have plenty of space -- I would just like to see it arranged differently. Oh, and overhead light fixtures sure would have been a plus!!

January 11th, 2013, 11:19 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Hm, I would like 5 bedrooms- one for us, one for DD1, one for DS, and one for DD2 and DD3 to share. I would say, probably 2.5 baths? 1.5 in the main house, and an ensuite. I would also love a room for homeschool, and a room for my office/craft stuff. An eat-in kitchen, and a large dining room would be great (we have an antique dining room set that is in storage right now because we just don't have the room for it). A playroom would be great too, but not a need.
January 11th, 2013, 11:21 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I've also always wanted a bonus room above the garage. Somewhere to store all the kids' toys, etc. instead of throughout the rest of our house. And I wouldn't see it all the time so I might not be so concerned if it wasn't always clean.

We are dreaming here, right?

January 11th, 2013, 12:03 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Hmmmm, a dream house, well, if its a dream then I'd like 5 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, a nice big kitchen, a family room,a finished basement, and a wrap around porch with a big back yard. I'd like a big two car garage and an apartment over it for my mom.

My reality is 1280 sq ft, 1 bathroom that desperately needs remodeling, an unfinished basement, a tiny garage that barely fits the kids bikes, a little backyard and two nasty old neighbors.

But you know what, I'm cool. I have had a lot less, I have been homeless. I am blessed and thankful for exactly what I have.
#12 is on the way
January 11th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I could use a little more um in me.
January 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BIG I want a big house 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 LARGE kitchen, family/play room, garage, bigback yard, fenced. with a covered balcony.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

January 11th, 2013, 06:04 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This, I think, was supposed to be about dreams..... That said...
Personally I, like others, don't think it's about sq. footage, but more about function.
In my dream world I would want????? minimum 4BR. The master would have 2 full baths one on either side of the room. Then 1 for dd1, 1 big enough to comfortably home the boys (they share now and it works just fine, but it would be nice for more space) then another for dd2 and 3 they are a LOT younger than dd1 or they would share too (still not entirely opposed to that idea ) It would have a basement (which we do have) I LOVE the idea of an attic play space complete with built-in cupboards (a house we looked at had this feature, it was so cool, but the rest of the house was laid out all wrong. ) It would have a kitchen with an island and chairs for little ones who are nosy to be able to watch without the fear of them getting hurt. I would love the commercial type kitchen too with the buffet line, huge (walk in, like a restaurant refrigerators and freezers. The dining room would be big enough to comfortably fit a table, not only big enough for us, but also for when we have company. A boys full bath and a girls full bath the girls rooms could adjoin by it like in the Brady Bunch. All of the BRs would be upstairs. At least 2 "guest" baths on the main floor they could be 1/2 baths. Another, at least 1, 1/2 bath in the basement. An in-law quarters complete with a full en suite. Space for the dc to play (connected to the attic play space) above the 4-6 car garage complete with one space being big enough to house an RV. I like the wrap around porch idea too, but I will expand it to a wrap around balcony as well. OH AND a roof top 360* view deck. Also if we're really getting dreamy we would have an indoor pool that was combo locked, for my sanity and the dc's safety, but for all of our enjoyment. Oh and it would have a retractable roof so it could be outdoor when the weather was nice. We need office space too, so another room for that...might be nice to have an adjoining BA for that as well......I think that's it.....Oh land too, must have space to ride the go carts etc. Oh wait I forgot the multi purpose court for the exterior. The dc can play tennis, basketball, kickball, badminton, ride their trikes, bikes or roller skate. all in a high fenced secure space with night lighting.

Last edited by ~mommy~; January 11th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
January 12th, 2013, 04:22 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I live in my dream house. If I could have just one thing different, I would want a basement or garage. I'm easy to please. My house has it's quirks, but it's MINE. And the things that are difficult about the house are being renovated.

January 12th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Super Mommy
I would like a house that is about 2500 sq. ft or so. I would like 4 bedrooms/2 1/2 - 3 bathrooms. Right now we have a 4 bedroom/2 bath house that is about 1200 sq ft and it is tight. It was originally a 2 bedroom/1 bath house but the basement was finished to add the extra bedrooms/bathroom.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
January 13th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dream house-I'd want obscenely big. Three levels-six bedrooms on the top floor plus a media room; at least my ensuite, then two jack n jill bathrooms between four kid rooms, plus the 5th room would also have its own full bath.
Main floor-big tv room, separate dining room, huge kitchen with island for all seven of us, two ovens, two fridges, two freezers, walk in pantry; half bath, laundry room, office-walking out to garage with mother in law suite above it.
basement: three more bedroom, two full baths, storage for furnace room, sewing room, another tv room for the kids' games room.
Full wrap around deck, two acre fenced yard with garden and tree houses, trees all around acreage so that we don't see any neighbours. I'd need a 2nd garage for the toys. I'd also like an indoor pool and gym within the fenced yard but detached from the main house.

A girl can dream, right?
DoubleTrouble07N09 likes this.
January 14th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When I think of my dream house, I don't really think of right now. I think of when my kids are all grown, married, and have kids of their own. I'd love to have a great big house where all my grandkids could play hide and seek and I could host big family dinners.

Right now our house is four bedrooms 1300 square feet. It's too small. The rental home we're moving into next month is three bedrooms and 2000 square feet. It feels just right for our family size. Not a lot of room to host overnight guests though.

I guess for my dream house I'd like somewhere between 2,000-3,000 square feet. 4-5 bedrooms. An attic or basement, a garage, and a large fenced backyard.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search