Hand-Me-Downs

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2013, 01:54 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Do you do a lot of hand me downs in your family?
Do many clothes make it past the second child?
What about shoes?
Do your kids mind hand-me-downs, or is it just accepted as the way life is?
January 12th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I save stuff from Jayde and Sydney, who wear the same size, for Becca. I give away half of it though because she doesn't need 2 kids worth of clothes. I don't save Noah's stuff for RJ, I just get new stuff (or new to me stuff). I save stuff from RJ for Bastian. I haven't been saving Bastian's stuff for Weston.

Shoes don't make it past one kid.

They don't know that they have hand me down clothes. I don't think they know the difference, if it fits they'll wear it.

January 12th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I'm a bit of a pack rat, although I do give away a lot of stuff. My younger kids have worn things that belonged to the older kids when they were babies. Depending on the kid I had a lot of hand me downs, but some of my kids are just brutal on clothes, especially as they have gotten older. Right now Vanna has a lot of Megans old clothes but at 8 she is super tall and well slightly chubby. She wears a 14 pant, which are maybe an inch to long, and x-small adult shirts...same as Megan and Sam, so when they are done they just them off to her.

Cole, i get jeans from my BF, her son is a size or two ahead of Cole and his a growth spurt. Beyond that I don;t get a lot, but I do give a lot and if someone needs a coat they call me first to see if i have any. My MIL likes to buy coats so my kids will end up 3-4 coats a year.
January 12th, 2013, 05:12 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I save a lot of Alyssa's for Sophia, and then for Hannah. And a lot of those came from my baby sister (huge age gaps). Girls aren't nearly as tough on clothes as boys! Rylan doesn't really get many hand-me-downs, and we have no boys to hand down to (in our family) so I usually end up giving them to friends, or selling them. Most shoes don't make it past one kid, except one pair of Vans that were my sister's, then Alyssa's, and now Rylan's (their just black and white) and still are nowhere near worn out!

My kids don't care, as long as they have clothes. A friend was telling me though that she is having a hard time affording clothes for her two kids, and they won't wear hand-me-downs. I told her I bet they would if they had nothing else to wear
January 12th, 2013, 08:41 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

we do alot of it, and its been mainly my oldest to the 2nd oldest and the younger 3

no but with the younger 3 it does

What about shoes?

From the younger 3 yes not the older 4

They do and dont mind (the older 4) they understand its the way life is, the younger 3 dont know any better, except for #5, some things he does not want his little brother to have.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

January 13th, 2013, 04:18 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Ok...Im going to exclude my older 3 from this, usually when Im replying im only refering to my younger 4 ( soon to be 5 )

Do you do a lot of hand me downs in your family? I do on some things.

Do many clothes make it past the second child? not alot, but a few things have. I have to say that theres a brother#5 in between her #4 and #6 so if I save or hold on to something it really has to be worth it cus its gonna be around for while with the gap there. She #4 is super tidy and very picky about being and staying really clean, so some of her things can easily go to #6, its #6 thats totally opposite of #4. So #7 doesnt get much after its gone through #6 .lol.. #5 Ds4 gets new everything.

What about shoes? No usually not. Thats one thing Im a little picky one with exception to particular boots for the girls

Do your kids mind hand-me-downs, or is it just accepted as the way life is? They get enough new stuff that I dont think they even know, and even when I say oh this is what big sis wore she still doesnt say anything ( she only just turned 3 )

I wanted to add also that the sizing of #4 and #6 is strange. DD1 (#5) is very thin and tall, DD2 (#6) is just a little bit chubby so things such as pants, some shirts will not fit her anyway.

Last edited by AmiraX4; January 13th, 2013 at 04:21 AM.
January 13th, 2013, 06:39 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I did alot of it with my older 3. Hubby gave tons of stuff away when we moved from Wisconsin because he didn't want to bring it along (don't get me started). Anyhow, it had been 9 1/2 years anyhow so not much probably would have held up for #4. My mom and mother-in-law love to clothes shop. I have always given clothes to my sisters because my girls are the oldest ones so those don't usually make it back to me, either.

My girls don't mind hand-me-downs, but the oldest 3 are pretty much in the same sizes, shirt-wise anyhow. They wear different pants, but #1 is the smallest sized because she's a bean pole! We go to the consignment shop fairly often, and they love buying stuff there. #1 is a bargain shopper!! One of my sisters gives some stuff to my girls, too because she has TONS of clothes.

There aren't really any hand-me-downs for #5 since it will be our first boy, and my only sister who has boys didn't keep stuff because the rest of us just kept having girls. But we will buy 2nd-hand and be happy to take any freebies that people offer.

New picture in progress......
January 13th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Veteran
Do you do a lot of hand me downs in your family? Not alot, no. My oldest was a boy, then a girl, then a boy. In between #1 and #3 we lived in apartments and didn't have much room to save stuff so most of it I gave away. After #3 we thought we were done having kids so we gave all our girl clothes away and we ended up having another girl. Most of the stuff my oldest wore, we were able to save for #3 because he had so much clothes.

Do many clothes make it past the second child? I'd say at least half.

What about shoes?Not too many.

Do your kids mind hand-me-downs, or is it just accepted as the way life is? They don't mind but they're still young.
January 13th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the twins wear Nolan's stuff, but since they like to match exactly I seem to have to constantly buy more shirts, but pants they get away with Nolan's old ones.
E is the only dd so she's mostly in new stuff now, then I sell or donate it
Joey is using some twin and Nolan stuff, but also some new

Lucky mother to five!

January 14th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I have one older niece and then three daughters so everything gets handed down. I don't get as much for my son now that he is older, but if anyone offers I am glad to take them.

I have found that a lot of the clothes are making it through three kids - my niece and my older two girls. And then I need new for my youngest dd. Mainly jeans.

What about shoes?
Tennis shoes and flip-flops end up in the trash. Dress shoes and boots can be passed down for the most part.

They like getting them. New clothes, are new clothes. Even if they're not really new....
January 14th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you do a lot of hand me downs in your family? Not nearly as much as when they were little. #2 has a completely different build as the rest, so I never kept her stuff. #1 hands down to #3 pretty good still. I also find that now that they're bigger, their own taste comes into it more. There's some stuff that just doesn't suit the next one down.

Do many clothes make it past the second child? when they were little yes. Now they just wear it out

What about shoes? the odd pair, but not very many.

Do your kids mind hand-me-downs, or is it just accepted as the way life is? #3 loves #1's stuff (there's a 3 year gap, so she thinks the clothes are cool). My much younger trendy sister gives clothes to #2 and she likes them too.
January 14th, 2013, 08:38 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you do a lot of hand me downs in your family? Yes, where I can. Ds1 goes to nephew, then to ds2 and on to ds3. I have to buy new (or new to us)pants for ds3 this week though because in the last week he's blown out 3 pairs of pants.
Do many clothes make it past the second child? Dd1 does not get handed down to ds1. yes they typically make it through the boys listed above. I buy new for dd2 and probably twice as much as I should, but I see it as a 2 for one deal, as whatever I buy her will hand right down to her sister.
What about shoes?Yes if they are in good condition typically when they are younger and hardly worn. With the boys I often buy new and toss the old ones. If they are in good condition and just outgrown I will donate them.
Do your kids mind hand-me-downs, or is it just accepted as the way life is? Dd1 hates them, she's old enough and grown enough that I don't mind buying her new because she will wear it til it wears out. Ds1 is getting to the age of caring too. Ds2 and 3 are only concerned whether or not there are clothes in their drawers. dd2 LOVES to get "new" beautiful clothes no matter where they come from and dd3 would rather run around naked and not be bothered with clothes at all.

I love buying 2nd hand and I love donating back good condition, just outgrown stuff. To me it's an awesome mother networking to provide for our babies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search