Need advice - illness

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Repti.Mom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I need another opinion as to what to do with my two year old.

She came down with a fever on Sunday - 103. I gave her some motrin and it came right down. She has had a fever between 101-103 for four days now. When I give her the motrin it goes away for quite a long time, but eventually comes back. She has no signs of illness at all. No cough, no runny nose. She's not fussy...she's eating and drinking well. She didn't get the flu shot, but I really don't think she is sick enough to have the flu. She mostly looks fine. She isn't sleeping well (so I am worn out) but I think that is because her fever spikes at night.

Do you think I should call the doctor and bring her in? I've never had a kid who had a fever for so many days without actually seeming sick. And I hate to expose all four of my kids to waiting room germs at this time of year. But I keep saying "I'll wait one more day" and now it is day 4.
January 16th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
2 year old molars? Maybe something like hand foot and mouth? I would say maybe teeth if she's especially fussy at night.

Fevers with no other symptoms don't worry me so much, so long as they're low. A 104 or something that wouldn't go away I would see a doc. It's just the body's way of healing itself.
mamato4andc likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 07:52 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Could be a UTI??? They're not entirely unheard of in younger kids. I would probably at least call the doctor to see if they want to see her. For me and my kids, we tend to run on the low side of normal temperatures, so anything over 99-100 really is a fever for us.

January 16th, 2013, 08:00 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you been piggybacking tylenol and motrin? I would be worried about an ear infection, so I would take her in.
January 16th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Four days and no illness besides fever would concern me too. I'd be concerned it was an infection rather than a virus. I hear ya on not wanting to be exposed to all the germs. Make the kids wear their gloves inside lol!
January 16th, 2013, 12:09 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I'd probably take her in just to make sure it's not an ear infection or uti or something bacterial that's causing it.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I went through something similar with Sam once years ago. Fever, but not other signs that anything was wrong. I called the doc and he said to piggy back tylenol and motrin. Okay that did bring the fever down, but it still kept popping up. She had an appointment anyways in about 4 days (3 days after calling doc) so we held out. I mean she seemed fine outside of the fever. Turns out she had strep, who knew, she never complained of her throat hurting. Since we were at the tail end the doc just told me to keep doing what I was doing and it would clear up. It did.

I have also seen it in a few of the other kids, and waited, honestly I don't go unless I think it's a now thing. I guess it's really a question of what you are comfortable with.
January 16th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ear infections typically aren't anything to worry about either.

January 16th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Veteran
Fevers are the body's way of getting rid of what it needs to. Unless it's past 103, there's nothing to worry about since there are no other symptoms.
January 16th, 2013, 04:06 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I would say either teeth, or the body fighting something off.
January 16th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My friend's daughter had this exact same thing last week. Her daughter (she's 4) had a fever off/on and she treated it with motrin also, it lasted 7 days. She took her in on day 6 and they tested a lot but nothing showed up. Does she have any pain? I know a 2 year old is tough to tell, but do her ears or peeing seem to hurt her? My guess is that if it is worse at night the ears and uti would be ruled out because those don't typically get better during the day.

Let us know how she it!

January 16th, 2013, 07:48 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To me....now mind you I have not researched it nor am I a DR., but I don't believe teething fevers get up to *103. I really think there's something else going on. So worrisome. I hope you get it figured out quickly.
January 17th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So after I posted here I went ahead and called the nurse hotline my insurance has. The nurse said a fever wth no other symptoms could be a virus and it was okay to have that up to three days. But of course she was on day four. The nurse told me to call the doctor but she didn't seem all that alarmed, so I decided to give it one more day. After yesterday morning (and the motrin) she has now been fever free for over 24 hours with no more meds. So I guess we are done? Now she IS fussy though, and she had a massive blowout diaper this afternoon. It just never ends, right? Poor kid. Plus the weather is horrible here and we are all getting cabin fever. Can't go out to play,a nd can't really take them anywhere until she is better.
January 17th, 2013, 02:47 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
aawwe at least the fever is gone

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search