Cloth diapers

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2013, 10:40 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, so for those of you who cloth diaper, will you please tell me what you know about them, what you use, how you clean them, etc?

I am having the worst time trying to learn more about cloth diapers, people in forums use all of these abbreviations and I have no clue what they are talking about. If I ask for advice, people talk to me like they forget I don't know what the crap they're talking about!

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 19th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use pocket diapers. I have kawaii brand, sunbaby, and some Bum genius. I also have one Krocket Pocket and am part of a co-op right now and getting 2 dozen more of the krocket pockets.

The pocket diapers are enclosed on three sides and you slide an insert into the pocket. To wash, you shake the insert out, and throw them both into the washer separately.

There are SOO many types of inserts. MOST of what you'll get with the chinese brands (cheaper, and I don't have anything against buying out of the country) like what I have are microfiber. I also have hemp inserts. The new Krocket Pockets I am getting are blended with charcoal.

I have an HE, how water washer, so I rinse on bulky/cold. Then I fill up the washer with the diapers in it obviously, bulky, hot, extra rinse. I let them soak for 2 hours or overnight sometimes. We have VERY hard water though, so you may not have to do that. Then I do another rinse, bulky/warm. Then I dry them in the dryer in the winter on air only for 90 minutes. In the summer I hang dry them.
I have 45 diapers right now.

How to snap and stuff a Onesize pocket Diaper - YouTube

OH I forgot to mention, all of my diapers are one size. So good for about 8 lbs +

January 19th, 2013, 11:24 AM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
by putting the inserts in separately, beth means in the same load, but as separate pieces.

we used bum genius 3.0 one size diapers on the twins. we also tried several other pocket types and some all-in-ones. aio's mean that there is no pocket the whole diaper is all in one piece. we used velcro tabs and they worked fine but did get a bit frayed after the first two years. one-size means that they grow with the baby so you buy one set of diapers and they fold-and-snap small at first and then as you move down to the next level of snap, they are a bit bigger. you don't need any other diapers clear through potty training so cost effective, i think.

i also loved the oso cozy velcro diaper with a cover. inexpensive, adequate and daddy-friendly. a cover is like what was called 'rubber pants' back in my day. now a cover is in the same shape as a diaper and it velcro's over the diaper rather than elastic waist pull on style.

another economic option is the old fashion rectangle diapes that you get at wal-mart and use with a cover. in the old days you needed diaper pins but now there is a thing called a 'snappi' that is a piece of plastic in a 't' shape that grabs the diaper closed. once you get the hang of them, snappi's are fast and easy.

we used tide in the white bottle with no scent and NEVER fabric softner. it will water-proof your diapers. some will say you need the expensive baby diaper soaps be we did just fine with tide. as for drying, we did the same as beth. also, hang your covers dry all the time to make them last longer (dryer heat will eventually cause them to wear out faster).

if you get brand new diapers, wash them at least 3 times before the first use to get them ready to absorb. its a good idea to buy one of several types and try them to see which style you like. also, lots of people make them as a home business and there are some really cute dipes and covers out there. you can buy used on craislist and save a bundle there. just was real good a few times and there ya go.

stripping is something that i don't know a lot about. as for the cycle of the wash -- we have a front loader and heres our routine. cold wash, hot wash with soap, extra rinse, dry. we have a sanitary cycle and used that once in while but it took like 2 hours.

hope that helps!!

~~terre~~
January 19th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I use Rockin' Green, Hard Rock, because I have hard water. It's only like 13.00 and lasts FOREVER.

January 19th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just typed out this big long response and now it's gone..gone..GONE!! ;(

I'll try again later but part of my point was...don't overthink it...some of those people have made cloth diapering their hobby and they go crazy with it! Build up a stash of a few various diapers that have good reviews. Find what YOU like then focus on adding those to your stash. Search on craigslist...I found a big stash of my favorites (Bum Genius) there. They were an older generation but I ended up liking them better and they weren't nearly as expensive. (FYI: I never heard good things about Fuzzibunz though so I stayed completely clear of them...and I really liked ones and twos, maybe my second fav but I chose the bulk up on sunbaby's cause they were cheap and effective instead)
I took the laid back approach to washing...1.Hot cycle with original tide powder only 2. cold rinse with vinegar 3. cold rinse again with nothing. Hang dry or dryer for 20 mins (occasional drying actually helps keep the PUL (waterproof lining) adhered to the dipes...don't do it all the time though) then hang dry...depending on time.
Occasionally I would strip my diapers down by adding a few drops of blue Dawn to the wash. That's all it took for my but I have an old school, water guzzeling washing machine that is actually pretty handy when it comes to cleaning cloth.
I made wool dryer balls to use with them in the dryer.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want! There's a few here that have used cloth and all have the own style. We've pretty much moved away from it...not cause I didn't like it..I DID...but Milly grew out of her BG fitteds that I loved so much (my CL buy) and I didn't want to pay to replace them. If I knew I would have more I would in a heartbeat though.

Last edited by Momtothe6thpower; January 19th, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
January 19th, 2013, 04:20 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I have two in diapers (seems to be the going trend over the past 2.5 yrs). I like one size (OS) pocket diapers because I can just toss them in the diaper bag and they will fit either kid. I have lots of different kinds of inserts but find that we use the microfiber inserts the most. I have mostly Bum Genius diapers, but also have some small and medium Fuzzi bunz. I didn't invest in the FB OS because that system seemed more complicated for what I wanted OS for (going back and forth between kids).

When it comes to laundry- I used to make things so complicated. I agonized over detergent and everything. Then I gave up. It really didn't matter. Now- I use whatever detergent is around. I rinse, wash hot, rinse again. I dry inserts on hot and hang outters to dry in my window. If anything has stains, it goes in the window. No more effort given. I've had my diapers for 4 years and they've seen bleach maybe 2-3 times.

I do laundry 2-3 times a week. I try not to stress over it. I barely had any diapers when I started out and had to wash every night. It really didn't seem like that big of a deal though.

January 19th, 2013, 04:26 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I use prefolds and a snappi (for my 4 month old) (it is a 3 point clasp to hold the diaper shut instead of pins), and pockets with liners (mine are a collection of all different types).

I use tide original powder, do a cold rinse, then add detergent and do a hot/cold wash with an extra rinse, then another warm rinse. But really, everyone washes differently, and it won't take long to find out what works for you.
January 24th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Sorry I didn't respond right away, I was trying to digest all of this info.

So what do you do with diapers between being on the baby and going in the wash?

It sounds like a huge pain in the butt to have to try to stop the washer between the wash cycle and rinse cycle to change the temperature. :/

Do you guys use the wet bags? What about the liners that look like they are a roll of paper towels? I thought those looked neat because I really don't want to scrape diapers.

January 24th, 2013, 07:29 AM
nono, you let it run one full cycle to rinse the diapers (gets some of the urine and poo out) THEN you run a cycle with HOT to wash, then ANOTHER cycle on whatever temp you want to make sure the soap is all out.

I've never done liners, I put mine in a plastic lined bag thingy that my mom made. You don't have to pre-rinse newborn poop until they start eating solids.

somtimes there is yellow stains from breastfed poop, but stains doesn't = dirty. You can sun them too.

January 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM
yes, she used wet bags to transport dirty diapers when out and about. it is small enough to fit in a diaper bag easily. at home, she had a large drawstring wet bag (it is waterproof inside) and she would just chuck the dirties in there (i would have then put the bag in a diaper pail to control oder but she did not). if there was solid poop, it was shaken off into the toilet first, then the stuffer pulled out and both pieces went into the bag. on laundry day she would take the bag and push it inside out into the washer so she didn't even touch the dirty ones. then wash the bag with the diapers. but air dry the bag.

beth is right -- you do not stop mid-cycle and switch temps. it does sound a bit overwhelming at first but i promise you on my 56-year-old heart that if i could do, so can you. it just becomes habit after the first few times and it is really no extra work except for the folding after. you won't regret it when you realize how much money and stress you are saving by not having to run out at the last minute to get diapers all the time.

ETA: i forgot. about those tissue-type liners -- they are great!!! we were told to cut the roll in half (picture a paper towel roll and making two rolls of tp out of it). you really can only fit the smaller part onto the diaper so why fold it and waste. you would probably need only one roll and it would last forever. when he goes poop, you simply pick up the 4-corners and flush it away. makes for far less messy diapers to wash. they look like dryer sheets but not quite as firm. real tissue would not work AT ALL.

~~terre~~

Last edited by MIL2lissy8; January 24th, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
January 24th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with all the ladies. We've had at least 2 in cloth for the last 10 years. Yikes. But they really are easy. We use Fuzzibunz and ordered the seconds on line for a lot cheaper and they are great.

We wash like Beth does. In the summer, a full line of them every night. In the winter I line dry in the dinning room overnight and they are done in the morning. It saves on wear and tear and than they last forever.

January 24th, 2013, 06:09 PM
I never pre-washed and mine turned out fine but I did wash them on the the largest setting and with my washer that made for a lot of water.
Let's see...I didn't cloth on the go really but when I did I threw them in a walmart bag...and at home I just put them in a pail with a trash bag but I also washed every other day so they didn't sit for too long...(of course if your doing it for environmental reasons that's not going to work for you...I did it because it was cheap, lol!)
Poop scraping is nasty but doesn't start til they start solids. I did more of a swirl and slap method in the toilet, lol! Just as nasty but the thought of a poop spatula made me want to puke...still does *shutters* You could get a diaper sprayer. I just didn't want to pay for anything extra like that or liners.
Sometimes with my particularly nasty ones I would let them soak in a bucket of water before washing...so I guess maybe that would count as a pre-wash, now that I think of it.

I had to just do what worked for me. Worrying about all the do's and don'ts made it more difficult.
As long as you remember no fabric softener and no dryer sheets...you'll probably do fine. If your diapers do start to stink, it's not the end of the world, just strip with dawn and wash differently until you figure it out. It's harder to ruin them then what people make it out to be. At least IMO.

Last edited by Momtothe6thpower; January 24th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
January 24th, 2013, 06:24 PM
poop doesn't bother me. I just wash it in the bathroom sink, or even better spray it off with the kitchen sprayer thing lol I want a diaper sprayer. Rob said he'd make me one of the DIY ones.

January 25th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
This thread has been very informative for me. Thank you for sharing your experiences ladies!
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

January 25th, 2013, 07:49 AM
I'm getting really excited about it. I'm watching some cute ones on eBay. Now that I know what we're having, I can really start shopping for them.

January 25th, 2013, 08:50 AM
trust me, shopping for 'fluff' can get addicting!!!!

~~terre~~
January 25th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Cottonbabies is a good resource Sarah. I've never ordered from them, but you can learn stuff there. I would check out the seconds websites, I saved a lot and can't even tell what's wrong with them. And really.....they are a diaper and will get stained

January 25th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah, but with the stains exposing them to the sun or 'sunning' will really help lighten them up, some to the point you can't see them anymore.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search