playdates

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Repti.Mom
  • 2 Post By Farmers-wife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If you have another child over to play, how do you handle it? Do you have all the kids play together - especially if they are close in age? Or do you let your child have some alone time with just their friend who has come over?

This is causing an issue right now in my house. My younger two always feel left out (and sometimes they are.) And then on the other hand I sympathize with my older two who I know would enjoy some "big kid" time without a two and a four year old tagging along. My four year old in particular has some kind of "middle child" thing going on I think. She wants so much to be included with the older kids, but cries and gets her feelings hurt easily.
January 20th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If kids come over they have the same rules as my kids. have to play downstairs. So yeah, everyone plays together.
Farmers-wife likes this.

January 20th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When we have kids over everyone plays together.

January 20th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
It's always understood that everyone plays together. That was even understood when I had teens and younger kids. Luckily the teens friends enjoyed the kids so we never really had an issue's.

Now, I did try on occasion to divert the younger ones by having some kind of activity planned that would at least give the older kids a little break, of course most of the time the older ones would join the little ones, but it was their choice.

There really is no way to fairly do it, someone is always going to be upset, but at an older age they should be able to understand.
January 20th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How old are the older ones? I agree with playing all together, but I also don't like the annoying or bratty little sib thing either. So I guess it's one of those things you have to really examine to make a balanced decision.
~mommy~ and HalfDozen like this.
January 20th, 2013, 03:22 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids dont have much friends over often, perhaps cus DH sleeps during the day I dont know my feelings on friends arent that great cus they dont always follow my rules, like hanging off the bunk beds a no no, running and sliding along the laminate, no no ugh lol
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

January 20th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They're seven, six, four, and two. So all pretty close. My older two are old enough to have friends from school and what not though and certainly think they are a lot older, lol.
January 20th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We do both. It's a little different here now that we have bigger kids, it used to be that everyone just plays together. Younger do get to hang out with the sister and guest but not the whole time, but generally speaking they still all hang out.
January 20th, 2013, 06:04 PM
What 7 year old doesn't like playing with a 2 year old? Especially a girl? Toddlers are fun to all of my daughter's friends.

January 20th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine are all really close in age so they all just play together
January 21st, 2013, 06:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The friends are happy to play with my younger kids. It's my own kids that act crazy. It's like if they get someone in the house they are all wanting their full attention for themselves. Even if it was their sibling who invited the friend over. I think they need more practice. We have had a crazy winter and haven't gotten together with many people lately, so they are totally overexcited by the arrival of anyone.
January 21st, 2013, 06:42 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
It really just depends. There is usually some time where the kids are all together, particularly if it involves watching movies. However, I do try to give the kids alone time with their friends so that they have a little break from their sisters. It usually works to send the kid that has a friend over up to her room so they can hang out there and shut the door without the distraction of sisters.

January 21st, 2013, 06:56 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I think the older ages have different interest than a 4 and 2 yrs old. I would let them have' times' of play together and then maybe you could entertain the 4 and2 yr old with some special activities that way its a win win...
January 21st, 2013, 12:13 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
So far we haven't had any issues and they've all played together well- my older two are 5 and almost 4 though, so very close in age.
January 21st, 2013, 06:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
together, but for a very long time i have had to separate the kids when therapists came over for Nathan. It still almost always results in hurt feelings but I try my best to find something fun for the others to do while Nathan gets therapy time (sometimes Reagan is included if they are playing candy land or something. It sucks, I hate that the kids feel left out and don't understand why Nathan gets so much attention. I have always hated it and I always will.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

January 21st, 2013, 06:44 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They do a little of both. Usually (if it's the older ones) they will play with the littles while they are still exciting (my kids don't have large family friends) and then they venture off to do they're own thing. I'm fine with that because it's exactly what I would want if I was in their shoes.
January 22nd, 2013, 11:25 AM
I guess it's a little different here, because all my kids friends live super close, and they all pretty much own the neighborhood all summer. Anyone's house (who has kids) is free reign for the million kids in the neighborhood, so they can play here, or if someone is bothering them them they can go to someone else's house, or vice versa.

January 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My 7yo has recently developed quite the social calender, so as I was picking him up the other day, I did a head count on the kids in the group. With my ds there are 4 boys and 2 of the other boys each have a 5yo sister. I told the moms that I was thinking of inviting them all for a playdate and that I have a 3yo and 19mo dd. The other moms said sure let us know when . All that to get to, I plan to have them all play together or boy/girl groupings, whatever works with them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search