money/spending money

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2013, 07:10 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What do you do, how do you do it, how much do you, when do you give.. who do you give to

Moms dads with older ones.. over 12. how do you do the whole money thing.. yes allowances but what if they dont do chores and just expect $5 here and there?? Or more..
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

January 21st, 2013, 08:45 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
There was no set rule, but we did have to know at least a week ahead of time if they were going to need money, two was better so I could budget it in. For the most part we just gave it to them. If it was more then say 10-15 that they needed they had to earn it. There is always extra work to be done around here.

Since we felt that school was their job (and no transportation for them) we felt that it was the right thing to do. School stuff was always paid no questions asked, even all of the expensive stuff, but even that had to be told to me ahead of time.

Now if they were asking for $5 hear and there to go buy crap, my answer would be no. I have no problem paying for the occasional fun thing, but I am not a bank. It was also rare to have more then 1-2 kids needing money at the same time.
January 21st, 2013, 11:06 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2many2010 View Post
There was no set rule, but we did have to know at least a week ahead of time if they were going to need money, two was better so I could budget it in. For the most part we just gave it to them. If it was more then say 10-15 that they needed they had to earn it. There is always extra work to be done around here.

Since we felt that school was their job (and no transportation for them) we felt that it was the right thing to do. School stuff was always paid no questions asked, even all of the expensive stuff, but even that had to be told to me ahead of time.

Now if they were asking for $5 hear and there to go buy crap, my answer would be no. I have no problem paying for the occasional fun thing, but I am not a bank. It was also rare to have more then 1-2 kids needing money at the same time.
Did they need to have ar eason for the money? as you said in the first paragraph.. basically my oldest will come to me, Mom can I have $5, no Sean you can not, Mom why not, well I dont have it in my wallet.. OMG he says. Then he will wait a day or two, Mom can I have 10 .. and its the same ole song and dance. I pretty much want him to earn it. I want him to use any earned money to go blow it. We buy them everything else. I even have a cell phone for him that I am paying for myself. I just am frustrated that I have money but it seems he wants to know my every cent.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

January 22nd, 2013, 05:50 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Money for field trips, lunch, etc. is given to them. My oldest had to pay 1/2 of her driver's ed fee since it's so expensive out here. Some fun things are okay once in a while, but we require at least a 3-day notice of asking permission. We just had too many times where they were asking the same day, and hubby and I don't usually carry cash and don't live anywhere near being able to get it quickly (or for free since our bank is a ways away). The money to "blow" has to be earned by them through doing chores, watching the little one, helping out on miscellaneous other projects, etc.

January 22nd, 2013, 06:34 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2lilmen View Post
Did they need to have ar eason for the money? as you said in the first paragraph.. basically my oldest will come to me, Mom can I have $5, no Sean you can not, Mom why not, well I dont have it in my wallet.. OMG he says. Then he will wait a day or two, Mom can I have 10 .. and its the same ole song and dance. I pretty much want him to earn it. I want him to use any earned money to go blow it. We buy them everything else. I even have a cell phone for him that I am paying for myself. I just am frustrated that I have money but it seems he wants to know my every cent.
For hanging out with friends it was assumed they would need some spending money, since I would know what they were doing, I'd base how much they got off of that.

Coming up to me everyday and asking for cash, yes I would ask and if it wasn't school related the odds are I would say no, like I said I'm not a bank, plus number5 said I rarely carry cash and we don't have banks near by.

My kids always had the opportunity to earn money, they would come to me and let me know that they were going to need X amount of dollars by a certain day and I would make a list of things they could do to earn it.
January 22nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't do allowance, but I seem to be phasing out paying for stuff as they get bigger, especially if it's for stuff not needed (junk food). I do tend to pay for stuff yet, my older 2 are really good about saving their money and putting it in the bank, so I want to encourage that. When we go shopping they're all little bargain hunters, and don't ask for anything that's expensive, they don't just assume I'll get it for them. And because we live on a farm there's work you can do for pay for bigger ticket items. #2 has put a lot of hours in to get her saddle and snowboard. I don't pay for cell phones.

I find that their attitudes have a lot to do with how I feel about what I'm willing to pay for. And I'm trying to teach them it's about making wise choices, yes we do the hot lunches that are the fundraiser and are $3. $6 for booster juice and subway? Not so much.
January 22nd, 2013, 07:24 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
None of mine know the difference between a penny and a quarter yet, so no money's being handed out. Nolan has a wallet but its full of pennies and coupons lol! I think chores will be handed out soon for $.
January 24th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The kids can use their points to buy stuff at the store. 1 point = .10. I round up if it's in between $ amounts.

I DO give them quarters once in a while for popcorn or nachos at school, otherwise they have to use their points even for that little stuff.

Pretty soon, because of his behavior, Noah wont have to do the points thing anymore, so his will be 'within reason'. Not going to give him $2.00 a day for snacks at school or anything.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search