a poll

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By clouise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2013, 09:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
copied from my f/b:

i need to take a poll here per my husband. the parameters are either being self-employed or a working professional. does your spouse get home from work for dinner regularly at a reasonable time? in our case, my 'reasonable' time is 5:30pm. is that unrealistic i today's working world?

~~terre~~
January 23rd, 2013, 06:03 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine works from home. He will stop working around 5-5:30, have dinner with everyone and do baths for the littles. Then he will work another hour or two. If he has a deadline it can go deep in the night.
January 23rd, 2013, 06:18 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Terre, I think it depends on where you live, commute times, etc. I barely get home by 5:30, and sometimes it's later so dinner for us is never before 6 or 6:30. For my husband, it depends on the day of the week. He works some 12-hour shifts and some 24-hour shifts. Some times he is not around for dinner at all because of work, but sometimes he is home and does dinner so that it's ready shortly after I get home. For us, having an expectation of everyone home and ready to eat at 5:30 would not be reasonable.
Farmers-wife likes this.

January 23rd, 2013, 06:48 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband is home by 5:30 most of the time.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 23rd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband hasn't been home for a month...
January 24th, 2013, 06:12 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
5.30 sounds fair if that works with the rest of the schedule. I would say depends end of work time and commute home. If bedtime makes a difference or not.
January 24th, 2013, 06:55 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dh travels a lot. He does not have a "9-5" job.
I shoot for 5 for dinner whether he is home or not.
January 24th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DH gets off at 5, and gets home by 5:15 usually. If he has something to finish he will stay, because he is flat rate. Say he has a job that pays 6 hours, and he has 2 hours left in the day, and he knows he can get it done in 4, he'll stay late to finish it. It doesn't pay to go to work doing a job that you know you're not getting paid for that day. If that makes sense.

ANYWAY we don't eat when he gets home. I have the kids fed around 5-5:30, and then we eat later when they are in bed. Same meal, just like to eat together when it's 'quiet'.

January 24th, 2013, 07:52 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
DH is usually home by 4:30 when he works day shift, but he leaves home at 5:30am. When he works night shift he leaves at 4:30pm and gets home at about 3am.
January 24th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My husband works 6:30am-3:30pm. I like it....he has a lot of time for us in the afternoons and evenings.
HalfDozen likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Veteran
Hubby is usually home by 545pm. I don't always wait for him to eat but we try to aim for all of us eating together.
January 24th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We just switched jobs. He now works 4pm-9pm, so only 25 hours a week, with full medical/dental/vacation benefits...it's perfect. We also run our own business during the day, so it depends if he has work or not. If he has work, he's gone, if he doesn't have work, he's home.

We just started this the beginning of the year. He quit his "real job" of 40 hours with a commute to have more family time. Being gone 11-12 hours a day just wasn't worth for us and thankfully the Lord opened up other opportunities.

We just felt as a family with so many kids that he needed to be around more. Some of the kids get to go with him on jobs and learn all sorts of skills, it's a blessing.

Sorry it got long!

January 24th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are both home every day, and consider ourselves self employed because we both work the farm and sell wares from the farm.

January 24th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
how do I send dh away for a month at a time??

mine works 6am-6pm and is usually home by 7pm. We've already eaten and he gets leftovers-I'm not a restaurant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search