Breakfast Foods

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mom2many2010
  • 1 Post By Jenilope
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By Babymakes8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dunno if my daughter hit a growth spurt or what, but she ate her way through most of our breakfast foods in my small stash in 3 weeks. I thought I had managed to buy up enough to last the whole month. Wrong, but I hadn't been counting on kids eating breakfast during the week since they get free at school. She decided school breakfast is too gross to eat. so has been eating at home before school, and usually before we're up so I wasn't aware of how much she ate.

Cereal, oatmeal, grits, toaster strudels....all gone. Had several boxes of EACH.

So suggestions for buying breakfast in bulk and on a budget of $200? That's $50/week for breakfast.

January 26th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
More then doable.....I'll be back.
Babymakes8 likes this.
January 26th, 2013, 12:50 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
What about making your own pancake mix. Crepes and then if you have jam you can heat it up and pour it over the crepes. Egg mcmuffins add cheese if you have it.
January 26th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I had 50 a week just for breakfast! lol

Only two of my kids eat breakfast at school, four eat here, well five I guess

We do cereal, things like malt-o-meal last longer than regular cereals

Whole wheat toast with raisins with butter on it

Tortillas with peanut butter or honey, or cinnamon and sugar

waffles - then I can freeze a bunch (haven't done that in a while though)

scrambled eggs (don't you have a bunch of eggs? or are they all pets?)

Once in a while I splurge and get them poptarts.

January 26th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I do have chickens, and we were getting a dozen or so a day in eggs, but this cold spell knocked them down to one egg a day.

January 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
When I decided to stay home with my kids but had to still pay my law school loans, I made it my job to study our grocery budget because it was the most flexible financial obligation we had--so, if you're willing to do a lot from scratch, I think that $50 a week should give you tons of options for breakfasts! Especially with eggs from your own hens--I am pretty jealous that you have those! I wish we were allowed to keep hens! I bet your eggs are delicious!

Here are some ideas:

Make your own pancake mix. This buttermilk breakfast mix Like Mother, Like Daughter: VII: Breakfast Recipes, including Buttermilk Baking Mix has flax/bran/etc to up the protein and 'health quotient' and is delicious! It makes about 15 cups of mix for less than $10 (maybe down to $5 if you buy in bulk and/or get sales) and it will make TONS of pancakes or waffles or biscuits. (waffles and pancakes freeze and re-heat well too, so I always make a big batch)

Also, if you make your own bread it works out to about $0.75-$1.50 per loaf. I use a 9 inch loaf pan and get 16 slices, not including heels, so about 4-9cents per slice. Use that home made bread to make toast with peanut butter and honey or jam or cheese for a quick grab-n-go breakfast. Or, use it to make "Eggs in a Hole" or french toast and you'll still be under 20 cents per delicious piece!

Everyone loves muffins and they are highly portable. A favorite here is whole wheat plum and cinnamon muffins. They freeze fantastically!

I think with your budget you could also afford some breakfast meat--bacon and sausage here are under $4 a pound, and under $3 per pound on sale or with a coupon. Make the bacon early in the week (you can use it for dinners if you don't want to serve it for breakfast or if a pound wouldn't be enough for your kids) but save the grease to slick your pans for pancakes or french toast so you don't have to waste butter money on that job. Stretch the sausage by making biscuits from your mix and sawmill gravy and crumble it into the gravy.

Oatmeal and hot cereals (like cream of wheat or grits) are usually less expensive than cold per serving, but you'll see the biggest savings if you buy the large containers (like 42oz rolled oats instead of 10 packets of flavored quick oats) A canister of rolled oats is only 6 cents per oz in my area. That's 18 cents for a bowl full of protein and fiber. And you can easily flavor it with left-overs--made pancakes this week? How about maple and brown sugar oatmeal to use up the syrup? Made pork chops and cinnamon apples for dinner last night? Apple cinnamon oatmeal is delicious! Bananas getting brown? Stir in mashed bananas and peanut butter! I've even added brown sugar, cinnamon and left over squash or sweet potatoes and it's been a hit. Or maybe you have some left over bacon and cheese? Put it in the grits! (what are grits without cheese anyway? lol) Or you can always add jam. And, if you don't want to be stirring up a hot pot every morning, there are recipes for crock pot oatmeal, over-night refrigerator oatmeal, or you can make baked oatmeal which you can add old bananas, canned pumpkin, bits of fruit... really, whatever to, bake up and serve slice almost like a cake!

Depending on brand, we can get greek yogurt here for $0.33-$1.10 per 6oz serving. It has 3x the protein of regular yogurt so it keeps kids full longer and it has a satisfying thickness. You can make your own, even cheaper, in the crock pot, depending on the price of milk in your area. Make some home made granola to put on top or serve with fruit.

Consider some breakfast burritos. Tortillas are inexpensive, especially if you get them at a mexican market. Fill them with scrambled eggs, taco sauce, a shredded block of cheddar cheese (cheaper than pre-shredded and not coated in wood pulp or cornstarch so it melts better) and meat or veggies of your choice--wrap them up and freeze a big batch and your kids can microwave a hot, tasty, additive-free breakfast on the go!

Also, quiche is great. Frozen or home made crust + left overs of your choice + 2 eggs + 1 cup of cream + a pinch of nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. It's great hot or cold and makes 2 eggs stretch to serve 8 people. It's also a great way to use up small amounts of left over meat or veggies that wouldn't be enough to serve a second time--ham, onions, tomatoes, spinach and cheese? Yum! Asparagus and swiss? Again, yum!

And smoothies are quick and easy, too. Frozen berries are typically cheaper than fresh, especially in the winter. Throw that in with some yogurt (we always have some left at the bottom of the big container) a splash of milk some ice, maybe a banana and/or a hand full of baby spinach and there's a sweet, refreshing, healthy breakfast. A little protein powder or flax etc. in there? Even better!

I hope some of those ideas help!

January 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM
double post, oops!

January 26th, 2013, 06:57 PM
We don't eat cheese in our grits!! We chop up scrambled eggs and mix it with our grits with salt and butter.

I already do most of my cooking from scratch. I had just a few processed breakfast foods on hand for quickness for the two youngest kids and for busy weekends.

January 26th, 2013, 07:07 PM
No cheese in the grits?! I don't even...

lol

Seriously though, I feel like pre-packaged breakfast foods, no matter how convenient they are just SO over priced and lacking in nutrition. If you don't already I bet freezing breakfasts might be the answer for you. Pancakes, quiche, burritos, breakfast sandwiches, muffins, waffles, and french toast all freeze well and (with the exception of the quiche) reheat pretty quickly.
You could even make you own pop tarts or toaster pastries if your kids really like them using pie crust or puff pastry dough and fill them with jam, streusel, chocolate, eggs chives and chèvre, or anything else you like and freeze or just keep in a container in the fridge for them to warm up quick in the morning. And there are tons of recipes for home made granola bars--crunchy or chewy!

And, now that I'm a grown up I think it's super gross, but when I was little my sister and I LOVED popcorn in milk with sugar. We ate it just like cereal and air-popped popcorn is super cheap if your little ones would like it (and are old enough to safely eat popcorn.)

Oh, and rice pudding with raisins. I think that's acceptable for breakfast occasionally and easy to make the night before.
Babymakes8 likes this.

January 26th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
In the winter I do big pots of oatmeal or ceam of wheat. The kids like the oatmeal better. I let them add brown sugar so it's sweet and they want to eat it. One cup of juice and then they can have water if they are still thirsty.

The four of them can eat a box of cereal in one sitting, or a box of eggos, and still beg for more. They are not that old either. I try to alternate packaged food like that with homemade stuff. I save money on the homemade, and it feels them up better.

Another ideas is coupons. I don't "coupon" myself, but I have a friend who is very in to it. She buys a couple papers every weekend for the ads, checks sales online, and then hits up 2-3 stores. She gets her cereal for like 50 cent a box or even free.
January 26th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Jenilope said a lot of what I was going to say. My only tip is when you, say, cook pancakes. Double it and freeze the other half. Waffles the same thing. I also make my own syrup a lot of times.

When I do breakfast I alternate between cooked and cereal. I buy bagged cereal, cheaper in the long run. I also buy the big containers of yogurt, top it with cereal (favorite here is cheerios) and a cup of juice/milk and viola, so easy.

As mentioned grits (not well liked here), Malt O Meal, Chocolate Malt O Meal, Oatmeal. There's a really good overnight crock pot oatmeal that I will double and put the leftovers in the fridge. The kids will even eat it during the day as a snack.

Toast, cinnamon/sugar, peanut butter/cream cheese served with applesauce.

I plan breakfast just like dinners. The only thing I wing it on is lunch. If you find it on sale double up.
January 27th, 2013, 06:14 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
My kids will not eat the bagged cereals. I buy cereal when it is on sale and I have a coupon, so then I stock up and lock it in the box we have.

My kids also refuse to eat breakfast OR lunch at school, so I have to send lunches to school even though they all qualify for free meals.

I am going to start making my own pancake/waffle mix, because I buy a 5 lb bag and it doesn't last long at all.

Mine will eat oatmeal and cream of wheat, and my oldest dd can live on jelly toast. We found "good" jelly on clearance yesterday and she thought she won the lottery!!!

I admit I do buy toaster strudels, Zay and Naathaniel love them.

Nothing is cheap, everything just keeps going up except our income.
Babymakes8 likes this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
January 27th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I make all my own jellies, strive for making enough for a year, but it doesn't always work out that I have enough.

I do make most of the breakfasts from scratch, but my daughter gets up at 5 am and goes to the bus at 7 and the boys are just getting up at 7. The idea of preparing and freezing pancakes and stuff for them sounds great. Maybe I should set aside a day each week where I prepare breakfasts for the week.

Usually we make biscuits with gravy and scrambled eggs, ham steaks and eggs, bacon and eggs, (we eat a lot of eggs..) and any of those might have oatmeal or grits on the side. The cereals I buy are the generic ones, either in the bag or boxes from the dollar store.
Jenilope likes this.

January 27th, 2013, 09:33 AM
UM, you got that right about nothing being cheap!!

I just found a link recently on making your own dishsoap, and I might try it, can't hurt to try, right? see how it works.

I've made my own baby wipes before, too. Anything to save a few pennies. Our youngest (16 months) is telling us when she needs changed, goes and gets a diaper and stuff, so I think I'm going to introduce her to the potty chair soon. Maybe get her (or me) trained earlier than my other kids did. I won't know what to do with myself once I'm not changing diapers anymore.

January 27th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My mom used to do a day where she would prepare the meals for a week, I think she still does it, but I don't have the patience to do it, so when I can double a recipe I just do it then.

Sometimes for the hubby I'll do McMuffins or Mcbisquits, prepare them and just stick them in the freezer. He will warm them up at 50% and it works out nicely.

I also make my own preserves when I can, actually this reminded me that I left my raspberry preserves for the cake over at my friends. My kids have been dying to get their grubby little hands on it lol. It's so easy to do and so much cheaper in the long run.

Oh and I have tried many dish soap recipes...they suck, for me I like bubbles and the home made dish soap doesn't suds, and it's not great on grease.

Not changing diapers is amazing. I always new that but with my little nephew here...I really know it
January 27th, 2013, 10:19 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I Have never thought about making my own wipes...Im gonna google it and see what its about. I love that you ladies make your jam. Bummer about the eggs slowing down and I agree they must be super yummy...
January 27th, 2013, 12:54 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Maybe I will try making my own jelly/jam. If I didn't have to work and could get more than 5 hours of sleep a night I would have more energy for all of that kind of stuff. I have the ability and like to cook, bake and all that good stuff, just zero time it seems!

I wish I could get the kids to eat the bagged cereals. So not happening, I have even tried putting the bagged stuff in the "good" cereal box and they won't touch it. Another thing I can't pass off on them is anything but Heinz ketchup.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
January 28th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Something that might help that we do. After church on Sundays, in the afternoon, I plan out all the meals, 3 a day, for the week and the following weekend. It takes about hours, but is a huge time/energy saver for the week. I look through cupboards and freezers to make a list of meals for the week based on what we have.

For breakfast, we make our own cereal, it's not cheap, but fills them up. We also make homemade whole wheat waffles, but they don't freeze the best, so every morning we want them, we need to make them. Not the end of the world, but takes a little more time.

Good suggestions that I'm stealing from other ladies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search