memories of a young mother

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2013, 10:40 AM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i was posting on the never-ending thread and thought it would continue my thoughts as a blog post. so i am sharing the final project. i posted it this morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

white wood circle

elsewhere on the internet-world, i was talking about when my kids were young. it brought to mind so many memories of white wood circle. i will share for the rest of you:

in my first marriage, we were able to buy a home in a young community. we were the last to move in - not sure why since we waited over 6 months to finalize the sale. we had a one story, 4 bedroom house that was 1475-ish square feet. i got all wrapped up in decorating the inside and weeding the outside! it was a home i was proud of and could easily raise my babies in. i had all four of them by that time. katelyn was just about 6 months old when we moved in. everyone else were young-ish families too so it was perfect for us.

four house lengths north of my house, was field that would be a park one day. i was on the committee that designed that park and although it was work for sure, it turned out to be beautiful and functional for everyone around there. i was so proud to have been the one to chose the colors of the playground equipment as well as one of several who fought for the basket-ball courts. there was a contest to name the park and although my suggestion did not win (linda vista which means pretty view in spanish) it truly was 'woodland park' with all the varied trees we planted. ok not literally planted, but picked out and arranged for. it is still a park i am proud to have been associated with creating.

when my kids were growing up there-- we were THE house. i had kids over all the time. i was the kool-aid mom. my kids were at their friends houses too all day long. i don't remember having a lot of sleep-overs but i did always offer my couch to whomever needed it, including their kids. i loved our neighborhood when the kids were small. we had about 6-8 houses in close proximity and the kids would all play together every day. we parents would get together many an evening and sit outside with a glass of wine or a beer and just hang out together after the kids were in bed. we had an annual 4th of july party that was AMAZING. being part of that end of the neighborhood was a really good thing in our life. my kids are still good friends with some of those same people they grew up with.

everything changed when i got divorced and had to leave that neighborhood. some changes were for the good, believe me. but the feeling of belonging and knowing i had close neighbors to count on and safe places for my kids to play...all that was lost . never again did we have that experience of being part of an original neighborhood, of both adults and children that grew up together. i feel like that dynamic is part of the past now -- my own children do not have that option to raise their 'littles' in that same environment. today everyone just stays inside their houses and do not associate with each other. that is such a shame. i guess it's true that you never can go back home again.

~~terre~~
January 26th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
It sounds like you had a really lovely place to raise your children.

I remember my parents having parties and all the kids would go to one person's house for big parties like New Years and all the teen age girls would band together to babysit us and it was tons of fun! My sisters and I and all the kids our age on our street were inside, outside and all over all summer until the street lights came on. It was a wonderful way to grow up!

I had really hoped that we would find a neighborhood like that to raise our children in. We even built our first house in a developing neighborhood full of promising new families but it never really worked out. Everyone mostly kept to themselves, stayed inside and drove to far away activities for their children. After a few years, a registered sex offender moved into the house behind us and we decided to cut ties and move on.

We're still wishing for the type of neighborhood community you've described, we're just having to look other places--like our church--for it. It's too bad that people all seem to be inside so much more now, not only are the kids missing out but it would be nice to have more adult friends, as well.

Thank you for sharing your story!

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (11 months)

January 26th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That sounds like a really nice neighborhood. It made me think of my childhood.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search