could be morbid but something to think about

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sarahlorrain

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i know you all are younger than i but i saw this on f/b this morning and it really got me thinking. i wanted to share it here and see what ya'll thought about this subject. eventually, you all will need to make a decision on this and i learned some new options today so......well, here it is:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i read the following thread on a friends page and it was totally thought provoking. wish i could share the comments she got -- very interesting options. i will link to one in the comments section here.

I came across a moving article about a family who's young daughter died in their home after a genetic illness. Instead of having her go to a funeral home and having a traditional embalming and all the pomp and circumstance they chose to keep her at home and hold a wake, she was then taken in a pine box and had a natural burial. I found it quite moving and it got me to doing some research and also thinking that I may want to change what I want done when I pass. I have always personally been against what most do, and up until now I had wanted to be immediately cremated and just a gathering of family and friends having a party to celebrate my life and share silly stories. I didn't realize that the process of cremation involves releasing toxins into the air, and I wish to not do harm to the planet if possible, so I'm now looking up information and state laws and guidelines on natural burial. Also, when my ex-husband's grandmother passed away at home, everyone was called over to the house to say goodbye and it was so peaceful.
Anyway, that is my deep thought for the day. Some of you may think it a morbid or icky subject, but I'm just being realistic about a subject that is a natural, and inevitable occurrence.

This Awesome Urn Will Turn You into a Tree After You Die | Design for Good | Big Think

so what do ya'll think?

~~terre~~
January 27th, 2013, 01:08 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Tthats what my mom wants, since she can't have a Viking funeral, which is her first choice...LOL. I think all the "big" funeral stuff is pretty stupid. I agree about a natural burial. IMHO I'm dead, roll me in a ditch, cover me with dirt and call it a day, I don't care.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
January 27th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
It's definitely something DH and I have talked about. When I was practicing, Trusts and Estates was my focus at the law firm, so it was natural for me to think about our end of life planning, but what happens to my body after death has never really meant much to me.

Before marriage, I had always figured I'd just be cremated and be done with it, I didn't want my family to undergo the expense of the funeral. But, as I've gotten older and dealt with more loss, I've learned that the funeral is really about those who are left behind. So, since it is important to my husband and not important to me, I've told him that if I go first, he can do what he chooses (probably a traditional burial) but, both of our wishes for memorials and how we choose to be laid to rest have been changing. As he is watching his parents and grandparents grapple with end of life issues and realizing how unlikely it is that our children will end up still living in our town visiting our graves, I think he's becoming more open to other ideas.

January 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I plan on being cremated. That's what everyone in my family has done, so it just kind of seems like the thing to do. It's cheaper than a traditional burial, and life (and money) are for the living.
January 27th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One of my friends' sister had a late miscarriage, and she had her mother bury the baby in their backyard. Other than that I never really thought about 'natural' burial for anything other than pets..

Death isn't something I like to think about.

January 27th, 2013, 04:47 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's kind of neat. I don't think I really care, if my family wants to bury me so they can have a place to come visit that's fine.

Another option that may weird some of you out, but it's what my Dad wanted and what his wife did per his wishes. He, like some of you, didn't care what happened to his body because he figured he didn't need it anymore, but he figured something good ought to come of it, so he requested that it be donated to science. They used this organization - Welcome to LifeLegacy Foundation and it was totally free. They took him, took what they wanted, cremated the rest, sent the ashes home in a couple of weeks and then mailed his wife a letter that stated which body parts they took for what kind of research. It was sad to think about someone cutting up his body after he died, but it was what he wanted and the whole idea was so they could hopefully do something with him to help other people.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search