What are some of the things people have said when you announced?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2013, 10:33 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number5OnTheWay View Post
I think some of my least favorites are:

"When is one of you going to get fixed?"
"WHY would you do this?"
"Was this planned?"
And so far, the one that got me most this pregnancy was a woman that I work with. She congratulated me, etc. The next day, she told me that she was telling her husband about it, and he said, "I don't want you hanging around with her. She's crazy!" I think she thought it was funny, but I've met him, and he's a jack***!
I got those ALL
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

February 10th, 2013, 07:02 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Also:
"Guess the rabbit died..."
"Are they rabbits?"

February 21st, 2013, 08:42 PM
Veteran
We're expecting number 5 and the most I ever hear is, "Looks like you've got your hands full!"

I never know how to respond.

We used to have a baby party for friends/family so they could meet the baby after the birth. After baby number 4, I decided to never do it again. There were soooo many negative comments from family. I think some of the family were just trying to be funny, but all it did was hurt my feelings.
February 22nd, 2013, 07:45 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry. I try to teach my kids that meanness is never funny. My family is like that too. Congrats on number five! Hang around us more. We make it fun!
February 25th, 2013, 08:39 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
We have heard it all and only have three kids so large for around here but not that many kids imo. We have heard the oh you should have an abortion thing, to are you keeping the baby or looking into adoption, dont you know how this "keeps happening", oh wow ANOTHER baby with a dumb look on their face as if baby number 3 was our 50th child or something, lol. I dont care what anyone says or thinks. We love provide and do it all on our own and dont ask anyone for anything so they should mind their own business. After our third baby two family members actually said I hope this is your guys last baby. Really??? Why?? We take dang good care of our kids so why would people hope we have no more. Its not like we have ill behaved rotten children around that we are depending on everyone else to pay/raise them.
February 26th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Veteran
For some reason I was thinking about this last night and I remembered when one of my aunts (who I really admire and love) found out we were expecting number 5. We were at my mom's birthday party and she held up five fingers and mouthed, "Five?!" (like she just couldn't believe it!) For ONCE in my life I had quick-wit and said,
"Hey, I still have five more fingers and ten toes to count on!"
Her jaw just dropped and she didn't say another word about it.
February 26th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Gosh some of these comments are SO mean-spirited. I can't even imagine how vitriolic I would get if someone had suggested I should abort my babies!

I'm nervous about a negative reaction from my ILs when I tell them next week, but more because they think we should be buying them everything and paying for their college and considering private school etc, and we disagree on that, and because they apparently think grandkids are kind of dull until they are old enough to give them affirmations, which annoys me, and they'll think that another one just puts them that much further out from their "dream" of taking all the kids to the lake for summer vacation (which we never agreed to anyway) Also, I think they think it's just "weird" to have more than 2.

Now I feel like a total wimp for getting worked up about that at all. I'm so sorry so many of you have gotten such nasty responses to what is truly joyous news.

Mom to four beautiful girls

February 26th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
People like to comment on things that are different. I'm guilty of it myself.

February 26th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran
Jenilope, what you shared is just as annoying as the comments people make.
With #4 my grandma didn't like the name we picked for our daughter (Dorothy...believe me, we got all sorts of jokes about her name!) so she started calling her Daisy. I eventually had to tell her that we named her Dorothy, not Daisy. After that, grandma wouldn't say her name for the longest time. Instead, she refered to her as "the baby".
Besides that, she also treats our boys different than the girls. And not in a good way.
We also get comments about homeschooling not being "real" school and other little jabs on how WE have chosen to raise OUR children.
Needless to say, we don't visit my family very often...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search