speech problems

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By clouise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Veteran
Anyone have a child with speech problems and how did you help them? Especially anyone who home-schools. My son will be 4 in May and he's still not talking real well. My other 3 (including the 14 month old) have always talked really young and correct so I'm not sure what to do.
February 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My oldest had severe speech problems. No words, what so ever, before he turned 5. We had extensive speech therapy for him through the Shriners. That may be a possibility for you.

Even though you homeschool, your school district is a good place to start. They usually have a program that will test a child, for free.

I'll be honest here. There is no way I would have homeschooled my oldest. He needed every ounce of help the school district had to offer. If you can afford to look for private help, great, but other wise I would consider traditional schooling. At least until he is at a point where he no longer needs it.
February 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think there a programs through the state (most states anyway) that can help. I know a few moms that have their 21 month olds in them, so I don't think they are through public schools.
Try contacting a speech therapist's office and see what they advise.

I'm sure my 21 month old could probably qualify for speech therapy. She talks but she's hard to understand and she doesn't say much.
February 6th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We do! We have 3 with speech issues and homeschool as well. When DD2 was 3 we started her due to severe speech issues. Most of the programs here cover birth-3 (by the time we noticed it, she had already aged out). That left the school system. They won't do anything for her after she was 4, because we were "choosing" to homeschool. They could give her therapy for about 3 months, until she turned 4. Than we were on our own. We couldn't get just speech services for her. We ended up going to a private company. It was $60 an hour cash. Our insurance didn't cover it. For 3 years...pricey. My hubby worked an extra job for a bit to help cover it. But the service, and quality was by far superior to what we saw at the school. We did look into having the school do it for 3 months, but were just not impressed at all with them.

For DD4, we just went the private route and were very happy with it. She wasn't as delayed as our other one. We now have a DS6 to think about doing therapy with.

Hope that helps!

February 6th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Mari, can you explain what made you realize they were having serious speech issues. Like I said, Milly seems to be behind but I'm not sure it's something that she can't catch up with.
February 6th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Cortney I can tell you that after Ted I was extra paranoid with all of the other kids.

All but Kailyn and Aiden spoke after the age of 2, maybe one or two words, but that was it. Then suddenly there would be a language explosion, at first family was the only ones to understand them, but by 3 they were where they needed to be.

Aiden spoke at about 21 months, with his language explosion happening right at 2. Kailyn spoke at 19 months, clear and fairly complete sentences.....and she never stops talking. I know though that she is not the norm. Not even compared to all of my friends kids who also didn't really say anything till after 2.
February 6th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm 100% for kids with speech issues, all five of mine are assessed yearly at home for speech, and the four bigs are being treated in school. Can you get someone to assess your LO?
February 7th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
RJ Becca and Sebastian had speech help. Sebastian gets it two times a week? in school too. He loves Joni. I'm almost positive he will get it next year too.
With RJ he had feeding problems, and speech deals with that in 0-3, then as he got older he just wasn't talking so we worked in that part of speech as well. The Becca was born obviously, and RJ was still getting therapy and I mentioned how she never talked, she didn't talk wrong, just never talked. She got therapy after that too, THEN Sebastian wasn't sitting up by the time he was 8-9 months old, so he got physical therapy, then we added speech, then OT as well for his other issues.

Our 0-3 program is in a building where they do therapy for any aged kid, it just has to be done differently through insurance. I debated putting Sebastian in for the summer for a few months, but we had to wait til he was exactly 3, then re-do the insurance, and by the time that would have been done, he probably would have been in school anyway.

February 7th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Carrie has speech issues too. You have a couple of options here. You could go through the school system - it's probably called "child find." What he is offered then will depend on where you live. In our current district my only option through the schools was a special needs preschool in which she would be pulled out for thirty minutes of speech a week. I didn't like that program and decided not to use it. Now we are moving just thirty minutes away, and the new district is fine with me just bringing her in to see the speech therapist for appointments and not enrolling in a class.

Option #2 is to try to go through your insurance company. Our insurance kind of gave us the run around, but they do in fact cover private speech therapy. It is not free, but if you don't want to go through the school system, it is something you could look into.

As far as working with her myself, I've had success with two different things. When she was about three I made her letter bags. Each bag had a letter on it and some items inside that started with that letter. Like "Look Carrie...it is the letter "S." Here is a silly sock inside the sack." She liked that and I think it did help.

When she was a bit older (like 4 1/2) I started working with her on memorizing site words. I use the dolch word lists and just make them into flash cards. I did that because she has trouble with so many sounds that I know she will struggle with phonics, and I thought if she at least knew a lot of site words that would be of help to her when she started kindergarten. What I didn't expect was that her speech has actually improved from going through the word lists with me. I guess paying close attention to a single word and enunciating has helped her. We spend about 15 minutes a day on her words now.

She is five now and not many people outside the family understand her. He are working on it though.
February 7th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sure Cortney, when she got to 2 and was still just kind of grunting and not really showing any interest in trying to talk. It wasn't that it was hard to understand, it just wasn't there. And as she moved onto 2 1/2 years old, she started biting herself because she would get so frustrated at not being able to communicate . But than as she got towards 3, she started trying to talk and it was not something anyone could really understand. I knew what she was saying, but I was really the only one. At that time, I didn't have any idea of the resources available to help, otherwise I would have tried to use them. I would have started with the birth-3 program, when she hit 2.
I hate to say, it's free, but what's the worse that can happen? I assume they will evaluate her and go from there. I would encourage you to contact them, and save you and her the heartache of watching her struggle

I forgot to add above.

I am amazed at the number of kids we have in here with speech issues. I had no idea it was so common. I always felt so alone, thinking my daughter was the only one and that I was doing something wrong.

February 7th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sebastian screams (still) and bangs his head. He NEVER hits his head at school, only home I think it's because we aren't structured all day long. I just cant. I need them to go play sometimes!

February 7th, 2013, 02:09 PM
That makes me so sad that they hurt themselves because they are so frustrated.

Dh thinks. I'm overreacting (which is something I'm know for) but it's just so hard to tell. I think there are 3 kids (maybe more) in her PR that are in speech therapy so it gets me thinking. Milly doesn't talk nearly as much as some of the other 21 month olds in that group (I swear it's full of little baby einsteins!). But she does say some things like...daddy, 'I love you', Coley (Coleman), Boone (the new pup), hi, bye, hey, 'go away', no, yeah, and few other things but I can't remember. I should probably keep a list.
She's lost some words though like... Momma...that was her first word and now she never says it .
I think I'll give her until a little past 2 and she if she has a speech explosion like m2m said. Luke did that...I even took him to the pedi because I was so worried and right after that we notice he was talking like crazy.
February 7th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran
A lady from our church works in the school and told me the public school has to help BUT they will only start before 4 years if it's really bad and she doesn't think he is. He has got alot better in the past 6 months. Myself and the siblings can usually understand him, hubby not so much. He can't say the s sound or the letters g,j. I think theres more but I can't remember right now. Just recently he learned the th sound.
February 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my older 4 were early talkers, my oldest sean spoke befor 2, and was well ahead of many his age. now, my 5th.. Hes different. He has maybe a handful of words and NONE are more than 1 word at a time. Its quite upsetting. hes just over 3. He has been diagnosed with autism, (pddnos) but that doesnt make things feel any better. He is in ABA and is in speech therapy, altho we JUST started speech therapy, two sessions, he missed one of them cus the therapist was sick. So thats a bust. my 6th is saying more than the 5th one, and thats ok I guess. I often worry he will be like #5 and require speech therapy. with that being said he is included in speech therapy to.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

February 8th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato4andc View Post
A lady from our church works in the school and told me the public school has to help BUT they will only start before 4 years if it's really bad and she doesn't think he is. He has got alot better in the past 6 months. Myself and the siblings can usually understand him, hubby not so much. He can't say the s sound or the letters g,j. I think theres more but I can't remember right now. Just recently he learned the th sound.
If you request to have him tested they will do so. It can't hurt to have him accessed, and even if he doesn't qualify at least you'll know where he stands. The ladies that came ourt and tested Carrie were so good and went ahead and gave me some tips for working with her at home.
mamato4andc likes this.
February 12th, 2013, 05:31 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
My 4 year old has a tongue tie. He didn't talk till after his 3rd birthday. He had a few words, but hardly used him. I've always had a screaming problem with him. He also has an oral fixation related to his tongue tie. He is speaking MUCH better lately, we homeschool and I spend a lot of time working with him. But the flexibility in his tongue is getting worse as he grows and not getting better. I am thinking about getting his tongue clipped in the next few months.

My youngest son (6 months) also has a tongue tie, but since I was more aware of it and knew what to look out for, I was able to have it clipped much sooner. It was a modest clipping, and it still has a small heart shape and he still struggles nursing sometimes. But it looks much better than his brother's did and I don't think it will interfere with speech.

Anyhow- not sure about non-physiological things related to speech. That's a totally different path than we are on. I have no idea what we'd do.

February 12th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Veteran
I don't remember what it's called but up until right before he turned 3, the little piece of skin on his upper lip was in between his teeth. He fell and it split. I read that could be why he's late at talking.
February 19th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So far I have 3 out of 4 kid that had or have speech.

1) Nathan - Autism and he didn't speak or do much of anything but stim until he was 3. He is much better now but still gets speech in school
2) Reagan - She was delayed in speech and had speech for a few months as a 2 yr old.
3) Riley - She is 4.5 and just started speech for stuttering. She was a very early talker (sentences at 12 mths). Her therapist thinks she is trying to say more than she can and that is why she has stuttered since day 1. She has always tried to be right alongside the twins and do what they did. I think it hurt her in her speech. She said way too much too soon. I know as a 2 yr old she would tell me that she has friends who can talk like her and friends that don't talk.
4) Kaycee - who knows? She seems okay for her age right now. She is almost 3.

I recommend getting any services you can.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

Last edited by cnote; February 19th, 2013 at 07:17 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search