Petty complaining or righteousness stand?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ~mommy~
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I have this fb friend. Highschool acquaintance, haven't seen her in 25 years, oly friended her because she became a defacto reunion coordinator after our 20th that almost no me went to because it was way too expensive.

Anyway, she is generally nice and sweet and encouraging and fun. Doesn't put political stuff up, but puts a lot of "we are out to dinner and here is what I am eating" pics. She is that one who is always doing something fabulous, going somewhere fabulous, just everything is awesome and wonderful and farts popurri.

Last onth she had a bunch of stuff about her daughters sweet 16. Hollywood gala theme, tons of people, everyone dressed to the nines. They gave the kid a car (Lexus, didn't look new, but what do I know?) and she got $3000 in cash and gift cards from the party goers.

My friend is a labor and delivery nurse, her husband owns a fitness center.

Yesterday she put up this rant that her copay for her sons inhaler was $45. She went on and on about how she is educated, employed and has insurance. But if she were uneducated, unemployed, and had a bunch of kids, it would have been free.

Her next post was a fancy dinner pic (steak and salad) at some high end restaurant with her husband.

I want to send her a note and really rip her for her callous and money grubbing *****iness. I mean, she spends more than $45 for getting her nails done. Paying for her kids inhaler is no burden. I mean I am no bleeding heart liberal, but shouldn't she be thankful she can get her meds without worry and be thankful some poor kid can too instead of worrying about what other people may or may not get for free?

Should I say something or just let it roll?
February 6th, 2013, 07:44 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both....We are all entitled to our "this sucks" moments. BUT she should also put it in perspective and just be grateful that her dc can have the meds required and that other dc are also entitled.
February 6th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i agree with you FW. i totally think the same things sometimes when i read stuff about peoples lives. i would share with her and help her to realize how grateful she should be for that $45 co-pay. my inhaler costs $300 cash and yes we eat out and stuff but i am VERY money-conscious in general because we have no insurance!! i often have to justify things to myself about eating out etc.

~~terre~~
February 6th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Her little comment hit a sore spot since we have 'a bunch of kids' but I'd just let it slide. I swear the Obama 'haters' have made it a trend to blame everything on large families and the unemployed...even those of us that ARE doing our part.

Of course, I was just on fb the other day *****ing about having to 1% of our income to some Ohio school district. It caused a hiccup in filing because we don't live there so we didn't have any information for a school district we were supposed to pay.
Anyway, I was just being stupid because I didn't expect it. Maybe she didn't expect to have to pay the $45 that day. Either way, it wasn't a very pc comment.
February 6th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd leave it too. But I can certainly understand the inclination to say something.

She reminds me of my friend with 3 children building a 6 bedroom house that complains about how expensive everything is.

I have (distant) relatives like your friend. I hate them (no I don't) they're always on vacation, live in beautiful homes, have the awesomest family pics and always look perfect.
February 6th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I would just let it go and chalk it up to 'one of those moments'. As someone said, it is possible that it went up and it surprised her. Kinda like how we suddenly have a $100 dollar deductible for our prescriptions. So instead of paying $20-30 for Ted's meds, I had to pay a hundred. It was a shock, but you do what you got to do.

I have lot's of friends who say things I don't agree with. I move on, no point in playing war of words. Now if it was really inflammatory I would say something, or any of my hills to die on....beyond that...I don't really care.
February 7th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Doesn't that work out then though M2M? You pay 100$ once instead of paying lots of 20's-30's?

I would totally call her out. If you're feeling ****** that is. I like to take it out on other people. Her saying that and then having a buncha "got my naaaaaaaaails did" pictures just makes her seem like her kids are burden. She only WANTS to pay for the fun stuff. I wouldn't have been able to afford her reunion either.

ALSO I am not an Obama supporter, and I have a large family, I am working poor. HOWEVER I don't think I'm entitled to have EVERYTHING handed to me just because I live in the united states like most of the other people who voted for him. They think just because they breathe they deserve free phones, food, lodge, etc, and cash handed to them so they can also get their nails did. Most of these people have worked about a week in their life. Like my neighbor. Big difference.

February 7th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
No Repti...I wish, but it's $100 upfront then still lots of $20 and $30's. I think it's because so many time a prescription is generic and cheap, they are trying to cut out the 'wasteful' portions they have to pay towards. that's my guess, it wasn't a huge deal just a shocker and the timing (had our taxes not come in) was bad.

I would have voted for Obama, had I decided to vote, and I get nothing form him except Ted get's to stay on my insurance and possibly higher premiums.

Haha this reminds me of a video Megan watched recently. I'm gonna post it on my FB page. It's pretty funny.
February 7th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd let it go since it's a one time thing. I think we all have moments like that.

Now I have a friend who complains endlessly about everything and I've thought of deleting her. We lived near each other for several years though, and she was a great "in person" friend. It's her "facebook side" that drives me nuts, lol.
February 7th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Cortney, you said it so well that the Obama haters are targeting larger families and the unemployed. Anyone they "deem" as not pulling their weight. Well said, and sad.

I'm not sure why people assume they know everyone's situation.

We are not Obama voters either, but that's not the point.

I wouldn't say anything though. That's just me. I agree, maybe she was just caught off guard and was frustrated when she saw someone "missusing" what she deemed public assistance. There is a big opinion out there that if you get anything for "free" you should practically be on the streets. But I think if we were all honest, we are all getting stuff for free because our government doesn't balance revenue and expenses.

Enough said.

February 7th, 2013, 11:18 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I wonder if she would like to trade places with one of those people who she has decided is "uneducated, unemployed, and has a bunch of kids?" Since she has no clue about the personal circumstances of any individual perhaps she should just worry about herself.

There are "poor" people who would love to have the ability to pay their way all the time. I have a Bridge card, I HATE having to use it. I wish the 90 + old timers at UPS would retire and I could get in FULL time!!! I am really sick of the assumption that everyone who needs/gets help is just lazy and stupid or that everyone who gets assistance spends it on liquor, cigarettes and getting their nails done. I get a little help and I don't drink, smoke and I have effed up nails from WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
February 7th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Chin up Jen. I think you are doing a good job. If you need a little help, I'm glad you can get it

February 7th, 2013, 03:45 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
You know, it makes me mad, because I could have gotten MORE help, I refused cash assistance because I felt like we didn't need it.

When I had to break down and get the food assistance it was to help feed my kids, and I am one of the people who watch what we buy, use coupons and shop carefully. You won't find steak and lobster in my cart, or a bunch of junk food.

I also don't get medical assistance because I have medical, dental and vision insurance for my family through my job.

I just don't appreciate the assumptions.
sarahlorrain likes this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search