Emergency Preparedness

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By 10thtimearound

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2013, 07:27 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Every year on March 1 I usually change out the items in our emergency kits to prepare more for things like tornadoes and floods instead of power cuts or blizzards and to up the clothing/diaper/shoe size in the boxes.

But I've never been great about following all the FEMA recs or anything. And it's occurring to me as I was thinking about putting together stores of water this year, that for some of your families, the water recs alone would have to take up just a TON of space.

Do you make emergency kits or do drills with your families? How do you decide what is "worth" the space and what isn't when you have so many people to prepare for?

February 23rd, 2013, 08:03 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Water is the biggest one since we are on well and any time the power goes out we loose water. We do have this huge drum like thing outside (holds at least a couple hundred gallons of water) that we have intended to fill up, but haven't yet. We always have quite a few gallons of water on hand. They are stashed all throughout the house. We have some food stores, it fluxuates throughout the year, but we look at hearty things that don't require a lot of space to store but when cooked can be very filling.
February 23rd, 2013, 11:27 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Im ashamed to say we dont have a single thing packed and ready for an emergency. Thats terrible of us and I think I will bring it up with Dh and talk about getting that together.
February 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We honestly don't prepare too much, but we're lucky to live in a place that natural disasters don't really happen (we don't have strong hurricanes, earthquakes, or tornadoes and we live on high ground so floods aren't really an issue). We do keep water and canned food on hand in case of power outages, but we have a wood stove to cook on if that happens (the kids think that is just awesome!). The longest power outage we've had in my adult life is 17 hours though. I know we should be better prepared though, although it's unlikely.
February 24th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We really haven't done anything. I always have some dried/can foods in the house though, and I know where our important documents are because we move so often. The big one is water, and when I hear of a storm coming I do fill up water jugs. I'm not really a "stick it out" kind of person either. I have four little kids and five pets...being trapped somewhere or in a shelter sounds terrible. If we know a storm (like a hurricane) might be bad I will just evacuate well in advance and stay with relatives in another area. Of course I know you don't always have that advance warning, but so far that always has been the case for us.
February 24th, 2013, 05:49 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
We are just gonna loot like everyone else. bwhahahahahahahaha.

We have no room for emergency stuff. Now that I am thinking about it, we should probably get a gun, a gun safe and some ammo for the people around here who really will loot.
Just_Marie, Jenilope and HalfDozen like this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
February 24th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
and for the zombies.

I don't have anything. I don't even think we have a flashlight around here. There are some tea candles, but I think DH has the only lighter lol Not that it would be dark if the power went out while he was at work anyway..

Seriously nothing bad happens here, the worst that would happen is you'll lose power for a few hours, or your basement might flood depending on where you live.

I just looked it up and since 1961 there has been 9 'tornadoes', during which 19 people were injured, and 2 died.

February 24th, 2013, 10:53 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Oh yeah, I forgot about the zombies!
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
February 24th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm in Northern Canada, we don't get emergencies. We'd be looting, also. I live a halfmile from the Dunes which is the richy rich party of the county, so we'd be covered for months just by going through the forest and "shopping" over there. I got it covered.

Lucky mother to five!

February 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Veteran
We have a ton of emergency packs. I try to keep them up to date since the kids sizes change so often. We have a huge suitcase and a smaller suitcase filled with clothes, batteries, flashlights. We also have masks, gloves, blankets, canned food. We also have a huge water tank in our garage. We had a 7.2 earthquake Easter Sunday 2010 and people got CRAZY. There is no way I would want to leave my house with all the crazy people unless we absolutely had to.
February 26th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have anything prepared and put away. I generally do have water bottles around and just the regular stash of canned food.

We have a generator, so if the power is off for too long we just hook that up.
February 26th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Veteran
Yes!! So prepared! We live in the country on a river. We have solar lights, wood heat, a way to biol water if it needs to be. We built a guest house on the river that has a hand water pump and all solar power as well. I have at least 6 months of food canned by me at all times plus I buy cases of dry goods all the time. We have everything we need to eat,sleep,stay warm,drink, and live off the grid in case of a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!! MY Roller Derby Name is Maniac MaMa...and I am a carton zombie as are my 9 kids in the logo I like to be prepared and self maintaining as much possible.
Jenilope likes this.
Irene Mom to 9 and ttcing #10
Married to my best friend 23 yrs!
5 Girls and 4 Boys

9 First Trimester Angels
Elija 17w Angel
Angel 17w Angel

DS 22(Mar12) DD 20(Jan3) DD 18(July6) DD 11(Oct18) DS 10(May18) DD 8(Jan9)
DS 7(Sept27) DS 5(Sept20) DD 2(June2)
TTCing #10 with unexplained infertility and 1 tube.

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search