This very experienced board of mamas must know!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 08:04 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
UUhh I came across another board and read where another mama had her c-section and at the same time had tummy tightening?!? She said the ob/gyn removed like 3-4 inches of skin!!

I think that is totally awesome and a great way to get a reduced price on a tummy tuck cus I would imagine its alot cheaper. But why am I the only one who has totally never heard of this. I mean Ive been around the block a few times and this is my 4th c-section and all the people I know, I have never heard of this being done at c-section time by an ob/gyn???

Have any of you btdt moms know about this procedure and is it as good as an actual tummy tuck? Im so totally going to talk to my doc as will be under the knife anyways, would you consider this if you were having a c-section?
February 25th, 2013, 08:30 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never heard of it either, but I've never had a c section either. Sounds efficient.
HalfDozen likes this.
February 25th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've heard that's what people in Hollywood do. If you're stuck with the c-section anyway then why not? If it is your last kid anyway. I wouldn't bother until then.
February 25th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Right. Only for last baby. My friend had a tummy tuck and used the belly fat to construct new boobs all while getting a mastectomy.
February 25th, 2013, 09:00 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Never heard of it.
#12 is on the way
February 25th, 2013, 09:17 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmers-wife View Post
Right. Only for last baby. My friend had a tummy tuck and used the belly fat to construct new boobs all while getting a mastectomy.
Ok that is alot in one procedure but still kind of a good idea i guess to get it all over and done with.

I wonder if doing the skin removal at the time of c-section would increase the recovery time or what though.
February 25th, 2013, 09:35 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I've wondered if, by some chance, if I had to have a c-section, if they would go ahead and remove my gall bladder. That would save me time and effort later on.

February 25th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard of it. I just don't think I'd want my obgyn to give me a tummy tuck. He didn't spealize in plastics for a reason, kwim!
February 25th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
somehow thinking I got ripped off not knowing about this with my last baby (second c-section) LOL

Totally kidding.

Not sure I'd want my OB/GYN doing a tummy tuck during a c-section, especially since most of the time you're awake for it. I'd be wanting done and out of the OR fast to see my baby.

My OB does run a Women's Wellness Center where they do Laser therapy, including laser tummy tucks/liposuction but she suggests a person works out and tries to lose as much weight/get in shape/tone/etc as much as possible on their own.

February 25th, 2013, 03:38 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would think they would have another specialized surgeon come in and knock you out.
February 25th, 2013, 05:05 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I've never heard of it either, but I've never had a c-section either so maybe that's why?
February 26th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have heard of it, but don't know of anyone that's actually had it done.

I think it's different than an actual tummy tuck though, with a tummy tuck they tighten the muscles on your stomach wall and take away the extra skin to give you a super flat tummy, and the thing they do during a c-section is just removing the extra skin, but I would think that already helps a lot.
AmiraX4 likes this.
February 26th, 2013, 08:51 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Ya ....she said its not a tummy tuck and to me sounded like skin tightening? I am going to talk to my doc about it and I really hope that it can be done because it doesnt matter how much exercising I do, I cant get my stomache hard and I have that little flab of skin that doesnt go away even with me at my lowest weight.

I know even if this is done its still not my tummy tuck but at least Im that much further ahead of the game and then later once healed I can go in for the tummy tuck and then maybe have enough money left over for lipo on my butt!!
February 26th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Amira, lol re the fanny lipo!

I needed my gallbladder removed during my last pregnancy, but held out until it was over. I asked about having it done during a c-section if I ended up needing one and they said no to that for several reasons:
1. It increases the risk of both surgeries
2. It would require 2 surgeons--the OB and the general surgeon and since I wasn't going to have a scheduled c-section, that would be a scheduling nightmare
3. I would have to be put under general anesthesia instead of just the spinal block, which I didn't want to do
4. The incision for the c-section and for an open cholesystectomy are in two completely different places so it would be two separate surgeries anyway and
5. They prefer to do a laproscopic cholesystectomy anyway, so just no. lol

But I did ask!

I've heard about hollywood people doing the skin-tightening with c-section. I've been lucky so far that my skin has behaved pretty well, it's the loose muscles and fat that are a problem for me, so I'll wait for the gym, time and maybe a full tummy tuck later... my boobs bother me more though!
AmiraX4 likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I could find better things to do with my money for sure, unless they're throwing it in with the cost of the c-section.

Plus I don't have c-sections, and my husband gets really irritated when I suggest doing things to my body. He doesn't even like makeup. He hates that I can't love myself the way I am, and that I'm bad at taking complements.
UrbanMomma and AmiraX4 like this.

February 26th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Veteran
I have heard of it. I have had all my 9 vaginal and don't foresee a c/s in my future even with more kids. I am lucky I have no loose /wrinkly skin and barely any stretch marks as it is. I see no reason to do a tummy tuck for myself. My sister had ONLY had 8 kids and she looks like she was attacked by a wild cat...super wrinkly skin and stretch marks that look like deep gouges. I had not seen it with my own eyes I would never believe skin could do that. If I had that I would do a tummy tuck if available to me.
Irene Mom to 9 and ttcing #10
Married to my best friend 23 yrs!
5 Girls and 4 Boys

9 First Trimester Angels
Elija 17w Angel
Angel 17w Angel

DS 22(Mar12) DD 20(Jan3) DD 18(July6) DD 11(Oct18) DS 10(May18) DD 8(Jan9)
DS 7(Sept27) DS 5(Sept20) DD 2(June2)
TTCing #10 with unexplained infertility and 1 tube.

My Ovulation Chart
February 26th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My OB does it and is pretty dang good at it, from what I hear. I don't think he charges extra, just an added perk, I guess.

February 27th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I dislike my flabby tummy, but I've gotten over hating it. I always feel that if I got it fixed I'd move on to something else about my body I didn't like.

That said, if I knew I was having a c-section and I knew my OB routinely did the extra skin removal thing, I'd totally do it.
March 1st, 2013, 05:15 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I've gotta say that I'm pretty sure this is an old wives tale. Having attended many c-sections and studied the procedure at length, there is not time or the resources available to give a proper tummy tuck. I could see maybe dealing with a little bit of extra skin, but there will be no mending of muscles and no actual repair. Plus, the uterus is still at the level of the belly button at the time of delivery and it would be impossible to get great results. I'd say that if a care provider was advertising this, then run. OBs are not trained in this sort of surgery and that sounds like a marketing gimmick.

March 1st, 2013, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
#5, you are so right. We would just find some other fault with our body.

But really ladies. How blessed are we to all have had so many babies? What's a little flabby tummy. I know my hubby wouldn't want me to do it.

But no, I've never heard of it. Thankfully I've never had a c/s, but there are times afterbirth when I look at my tummy in the hospital and think, "if we could just take a little off here......" But that passes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search