church

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
speaking of church, several of you mention here and there that you attend a church. what kind of church is it?

I attend a very large non-denominational Christian church, similar to calvary chapel if you know of them. even though it is very large (5000 a weekend I heard), it feels like an normal size church. it is very warm and friendly. we have tons of activities for every age and are part of so many ministries I can't even count. we have missionaries all over the world and a group of our guys just returned from a building trip to chili and peru. I love the church where we go -- I was at my last church for 19 years and felt empty. joining here has been life-changing for me and for us as a family.

I was just curious so I hope no one minds sharing.

~~terre~~
March 3rd, 2013, 05:22 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
We attend a presbyterian church. It has something like 700 members, but I'd guess an average service is 200 or fewer, many of those "members" were children who joined with their families years ago and have since grown up, gone to school and moved away.

The children's programs are amazing though, just this morning I was marveling at what a big group of beautiful children our congregation has!

This is the church that my husband grew up in and it's really nice to go and see people who remember him as a boy and are so interested in our girls.

I grew up Episcopalian, so sometimes I miss the more formal/traditional worship style, but I do really love the community, outreach, mission and message at our church and that we have found a place with some history where we are welcomed as a whole family. I miss it on the weeks we don't go.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (1)

March 3rd, 2013, 05:52 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We attend the huge Catholic church here, holds 2000 people at once, love it!
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
March 3rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually go to a Calvary chapel. I will be there 19 years in August. I feel empty. I would like to find something herein my little town. But I would have to actually go and participate to find something. I am just not super happy in general, so nothing really appeals to me right now.
March 3rd, 2013, 06:26 PM
Veteran
We go to a home church that's hosted on a farm. There are about 6 families and a handful of singles that "attend", including ours. The men take turns sharing what they've learned during the week and then we usually have a potluck afterwards while the women chat and the kids play. We usually spend the day hanging out together.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
March 3rd, 2013, 06:46 PM
That sounds nice. My friend sort of does that, but her husband does the teaching all the time. She has invited me and let me know often enough that I know we are all welcome to visit. I should.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
March 3rd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Veteran
I've gone to bigger churches, when I was younger, and I've felt a noticeable difference between them and the home churches. With the smaller groups, we're able to get to know each other better and develop friendships. My husband is often able to get together with the other guys during the week for "guy time", which is really encouraging for him. In our old home church (we had to move so can't meet with them anymore) the ladies and I used to get together to can or watch chicky flicks or go garage saleing or spend the day at the beach...

You should try it out, Farmerswife. It can be a wonderful way to make new friends and encouraging each other in walking with Jesus.
MIL2lissy8 and Farmers-wife like this.
March 3rd, 2013, 08:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
genipher, I have a friend in Oregon that goes to church in this manner. she lives in junction city -- is that near you?

~~terre~~
March 3rd, 2013, 08:23 PM
Veteran
Well, we used to live in Coos Bay and met with a group in North Bend. There was another fellowship in the Bandon area, but we only went to it once or twice--usually when they had a missionary guest speaker.

EDITED TO SAY:
Oh, poo! I was thinking Cave Junction. Me and geography don't mix!! Hmmmm. Junction City. No, we're not so close to Eugene. We're actually closer to the Albany/Corvallis area.

Last edited by Genipher; March 3rd, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
March 4th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We go to a baptist church that has maybe 200 people a week. It's a nice little church with good kids' programs. It's a beautiful old building, and actually had one of it's services interrupted during the civil war when union soldiers rushed in and turned it into a hospital. I like the history.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
March 4th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We go to the Christian Reformed Church. It's about 35 families, and we have loads of kids for a small church. I wouldn't say it's perfect, and there's certainly always things that need to be worked on, but by and large, I really love our church and we've got a good community.
March 4th, 2013, 08:46 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Well, I am a member of a non denominational Christian church, most closely related to Southern Baptist. I was member #15 and there are now 800+ members. The church was better small, though Pastor is a phenomenal speaker and always delivers a good message ( my mom and gma are attending members). I had some issues in my life a few years back and don't agree with the message the Pastor gave me regarding my situation, even my mother and grandma agree he wasn't right. Thats why I no longer attend.

Then there is my husbands church. It is Baptist too. That church feels dead though. Its all about music and not so much God's Word. I also don't feel welcome there. My dh's uncle is the Pastor and dh has attended the church his whole life, but people there speak to my dh, my kids and ignore me.

I'm not feeling church right now. I know its not about the people, but who wants to go somewhere they aren't really welcome or accepted??
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
#12 is on the way
March 4th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree jenifer -- you should go where you don't feel comfortable. that is a shame. I wish your experiences were better based on a church really based on God's word -- that makes all the difference I think. maybe you can search out a place when the time is right, just for you for now.

ladies this has been an interesting thread. thanks for sharing.

ETA: should have said 'should not go where...'

~~terre~~

Last edited by MIL2lissy8; March 4th, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
March 4th, 2013, 09:17 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I'm in a church "rut" right now. I grew up Moravian. No one ever knows what that is. Anyhow, in junior high/high school, we switched to Methodist. I liked that for a while, but it often depended on the minister we got, and being in a small community, they didn't tend to stay long. Plus, we shared him with another church, who had more money and more members so they got more of a say in who the minister chosen was every time one left. After getting married, I did Lutheran, which is fine for the most part. We had been married in the Lutheran church, and my grandma was Lutheran so I was familiar with it, and my hubby was raised Lutheran. We started out ECLA and then switched to Missouri Synod - both Lutheran, just some of the beliefs/doctrines are different. With all the moving around we've done, it's sometimes hard to find that right "fit." I had one that I really liked when we were in MA, but now that's over an hour away. They had a contemporary service and lots of kids. We'd been going to one near home for about a year - year and a half, but ALL of the congregation is elderly, as in near death. That doesn't bother me so much, but there is nothing for the girls to keep them interested. Then we were battling various illnesses back in December, and the minister called to tell me that there was going to be no Christmas Eve service because the members couldn't really drive in the dark. He also told me that I should think about a different church for my spiritual needs, and more importantly, for those of my girls. I actually appreciate that he told me that, but I don't know where else to look. I don't want anything "too" contemporary, but I don't want it stuffy, either, and I need something for my girls. Plus, our beliefs can sometimes be different than most people around us so I don't want to end up in the "wrong" place. Now you've got me feeling guilty because we haven't been to church in probably 3 months!! I need to get on that!!!

March 4th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Life is our church, so we enjoy our Sunday mornings home.
mom2many2010 likes this.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
March 4th, 2013, 11:26 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
My husband is the priest of our parish. It is a small Anglican Mission church with about 150 people. Mostly singles and married folks with no children. There are about 15-20 kids total. I love the size of our church. We are only about 4 years old. I hope we don't grow too much larger than we are currently. If we doubled in size, I would like to see us plant a separate mission.

I think it's important to put in what you hope to get out. Church should also be the most welcoming place to everyone. I know here in the south, that's not always the case and that's unfortunate. My husband and I do our best to remain humble and self aware to not put our selves above anyone else and do our best not to judge. We are all sinners. Even my husband, the priest.
UrbanMomma and MIL2lissy8 like this.

March 4th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Amen.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
March 4th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Agree above.

We have an awesome church of about 800 people and it just such a filling church. We love it.

As far as not "feeling church" I just want you all to know we all go through times of feeling really close to God and othertimes distant. Keep praying and reading your Bibles, He will pull you back close
#5in2005 and MIL2lissy8 like this.

March 5th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Veteran
It's under the Assemblies of God but most there including the pastor call it Pentecostal. We've been going for a little over 4 years now. I don't like alot of the attitudes of the adults but the kids classes are good so I continue to go there. My husband says they're just joking and not to take it personally but when someone says to you, "All us fatties would've had our revenge" when I posted how the wind was so strong it threw me against the wall what should I think? After my 4th was born after only 5 major contractions at home, the same person says, "All the ladies will be hating on you now for having such an easy delivery." It bothers me alot but like I said they have good kids classes.
March 6th, 2013, 05:07 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I don't think church and being close to God are one in the same. JMHO. I have seen way to many fake folks up in church gettin their "praise on" actin holier than thou.

Like I said before, I know its not about the people, but I cant stand next to LaKeisha who is cheatin on her husband with a deacon, walkin in church after playing her lottery numbers at the corner store and just getting in from the club last night smellin like liquor knowing she about to go sing in the choir..........

It just doesn't feel right to me.

Oh and I want to add, I know I am faaaaaaaaaar from perfect, and need a whole lotta work, but you also won't catch me actin like I am.
MIL2lissy8 and Indymommy7 like this.
#12 is on the way

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search