Potty learning... in a busy/large family

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By therevslady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 08:06 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
So my 2.5 year old wants to potty train. But I think that's only half true. I think what he really wants is attention. I think there is a battle for the kids right now because they are all little and have their little kids things they are working on. I can put 50 training seats around the house and he knows how to use them, but he only wants to use the potty if I am sitting there with him while he does it. I enlisted my 8 year old to help him some of the time, but he really just wants mommy attention. He's my koala baby. I swear I will probably have to walk this kid down the aisle in a baby carrier. My 7 month old is more independent than he is!

Anyhow- I am just curious if anyone has experienced anything like this? I am constantly battling time with this kid lately. He needs to potty while I am cooking dinner, while I'm taking a shower, while I'm nursing the baby, while I'm doing school for his sister.

I tried doing scheduled potty breaks, but those just take up more time, because we have to sit there and wait and wait and wait for him to finally pee.

There is just not enough of me to go around and this is stressing me out and I am at my whits end. I just do not have enough freaking time to live in the bathroom with this kid.

March 6th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Can you just get one of those little potty chairs and set it at your feet when he needs to go? If you're helping the kids with schoolwork he can go there...if you're fixing dinner set up in the kitchen. You can move him back to the bathroom in a few months.
March 6th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I was going to suggest maybe a small light potty chair and instruct him to go get it and bring it to you when he wants to go and you're too busy to bring it along.

I don't have a ton of experience with potty learning, yet. Matilda, my first, I pushed and pushed and it took forever and was super frustrating. Evelyn just sort of decided for herself, started using the potty chair and was content to just show me the results of her efforts and get her sugar free gummy worm.

It must be so disruptive to be asked to go with him every time. Hopefully, if you put the onus on him to come to you rather than you to him, he'll either become more independent or at least less disruptive?

Good luck.

Mom to four beautiful girls

March 6th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Veteran
My 18 month old suddenly wanted to start sitting on the toilet a month or so ago. Every time she wet her diaper, she'd HAVE to sit on the toilet before we put a new diaper on.
At first, I went in to the bathroom with her every time. Now she'll let her big sister take her. I guess the difference is that she's not really looking for attention from me...she truly seems to want to be a "big girl".

Maybe if you brought a "big kid" in with you and had them cheer when the little one went, then the 2.5 year-old would be more inclined to let someone else help? Or if you do rewards, then have the big brother/sister give an m&m when they allow someone besides mom to help?
March 6th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was thinking a portable potty chair as well. Than he brings it, or you do, to wherever you are...most likely around the kitchen.

Good idea about big brother/sister giving them an m and m when they take them!

March 6th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Yeah... I've tried the potty chair thing, and it only sort of works. It still requires all of my attention. My kitchen is currently too small to put the chair in (it's only large enough for one person to stand there. I've seriously seen bigger kitchens in campers. The unfortunate thing is that our washer and dryer are also in our microscopic kitchen. So I spend a VERY large potion of my day in this itty bitty room where my kids don't fit. I think I talked about how much I hate my kitchen on here before... don't get me started, haha.

I really like the idea of an older sibling giving him treats. We have a thing, where when he goes then everyone gets a treat (not just him). I'm sure they would love to be in charge of that.
Jenilope likes this.

March 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Maybe put him in underwear fulltime. If he has to pee he will either wet himself or he will go potty without you.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

March 7th, 2013, 09:08 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck....eventually they ALL are potty trained.
My 3.5 yo had a desire/teachable moment about a year ago.....I was busy, so now she is balking at me suggesting she use the potty. Spring break is coming, I'm hopeful I can get consistent and get her trained over that week.......maybe her little sister will follow suit?????
March 8th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Still trying to wrap my mind around your baby is 7 months already?! Didn't you just have him??!!

I'm gearing up to potty train number 6 and I still don't know what works. We gave number 5 m&m's for successfull pottying, and then once he was fully trained, we had to teach him that you don't just go potty to get m&m's!!

March 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Although I dont have any advice for this situation I just wanted to say I hope you can find something that works for you both. It can be time wearing at times and as another poster said, they all get trained at some point. hats off to you for not throwing in the towel!!

March 9th, 2013, 02:41 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Potty chair for now until the youngest one is a bit older for you to devote more time. We are planning on doing it this spring break, and I am dreading it. Bryce does not talk much but every time he pees he goes in his diaper and says poo poo and wants a diaper. |I am always changing diapers with him which is good but a pain. Good luck on it cus I know how you feel
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

March 13th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Thanks y'all for your advice. I've tried carting the potty chair around our house, but he is refusing to use it. He is very modest (has been since birth, this baffles me!), and refuses to sit on the potty anywhere but the bathroom. He has been wearing underwear during the day for about 3 months and will either pee himself or sit there and scream bloody murder till I come in the bathroom with him. This past week, my daughter has been helping by giving him treats and letting him watch videos on my tablet while she sits there with him. She's also been giving him something sweet to drink like juice (juice is a treat around here) while he sits on the toilet. It's relieving some of the burden, but he is still whining to go potty when he doesn't have to go. He will say it about every 20 mins and whine and whine and then either I, my husband, or my daughter take him to the bathroom and he rarely has to actually go.

Honestly, he's my easiest two year old yet, so this is the only difficult thing he does. I think I'll just count my blessings because he's such an easy kid other than this.

Thanks y'all for your advice. I've tried carting the potty chair around our house, but he is refusing to use it. He is very modest (has been since birth, this baffles me!), and refuses to sit on the potty anywhere but the bathroom. He has been wearing underwear during the day for about 3 months and will either pee himself or sit there and scream bloody murder till I come in the bathroom with him. This past week, my daughter has been helping by giving him treats and letting him watch videos on my tablet while she sits there with him. She's also been giving him something sweet to drink like juice (juice is a treat around here) while he sits on the toilet. It's relieving some of the burden, but he is still whining to go potty when he doesn't have to go. He will say it about every 20 mins and whine and whine and then either I, my husband, or my daughter take him to the bathroom and he rarely has to actually go.

Honestly, he's my easiest two year old yet, so this is the only difficult thing he does. I think I'll just count my blessings because he's such an easy kid other than this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search