Couch cleaning

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jenilope

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2013, 01:19 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our couches are filthy again. How do you ladies keep yours clean?
I was looking at the store and they have "spot cleaners" would those work?
It's just so $$$ to have someone come out and clean them as often as they really should be.
March 9th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I've been researching this today, too. We paid Stanley Steamer to do them when we moved because they were all musty from storage, but they're smelling like dogs and busy kids etc right now and I don't want to replace them until the kids are older, but I also don't want to pay $85 per couch to have it professionally cleaned.

My battle plan is to tackle it as soon as I can open the windows. I plan to take off the covers and wash and line-dry them, sprinkle the foam cushions with baking soda (and maybe a little lavender oil), let that sit and brush or vacuum it off. For the body of the couch, I'm going to vacuum any dust or hair off of it and use the hose and brush attachment on either my spot bot or Bissell, whichever is easier, to clean that with a vinegar and hot water solution to deodorize it, too.

Once the covers and body are completely dry, I'll put the cushions back together and put it all back on the couch and hope nothing shrank and that it smells better. I've had these couches for over 8 years of heavy use by adults, kids and dogs alike, so I'm no longer super concerned about the look of the upholstery, if I need slip covers soon, I'm ok with that, but I am NOT ok with my couches just stinking of dogs and feet all the time!

I did notice that my cushions are wrapped in a batting like material and it's looking pretty beat up, I'm considering peeling that off the foam and throwing it out and getting new, fresh smelling, batting from the fabric store to replace it.

I'll definitely be stalking this thread for ideas because we're probably still a few weeks away from being able to open the windows to do this job.

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (1)

March 9th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
No idea, and no clues. I've never cleaned mine other then the occasional spot cleaning.
March 9th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
same here...except mine were sprayed with scotchguard back in the day. i understand that this product is not made anymore. darn.

also, i think renuzit has a oder neutralizer spray and i love that. it got the smell of "raw chicken accidentally left in trunk of the car for 4 days in extremely hot weather" out. that is tough to beat.

on the couch that got the most beat up with all the babies, it has a slip cover on it so i could just strip it and toss the covers in the laundry.

~~terre~~
March 9th, 2013, 07:21 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have 2 sectionals, so I don't know that slipcovers are an option, unless I could find someone to custom make them, but again $$$. Dh doesn't help me enforce the no food/drink outside the kitchen/living room policy I've tried so hard to enforce so milk, juice etc. gets leaked all over it. Plus the dog is tall and likes to chew her bones on the corners of the couch leaving yuck behind.
March 10th, 2013, 10:26 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have a couch in the front room, that is the room no one is really allowed to hang out in, so that one stays clean.

The couch in the family room where everyone hangs out is slip covered, so I just take it off and wash.

But the general rule of no food anywhere but kitchen keeps stains to a minimum, and no shoes are allowed on couch either.
#12 is on the way
March 10th, 2013, 01:19 PM
The dogs are the big problem with out couches, that and age, are the issues with ours.

And then one of the kids puked and forced my hand. lol

So, I started today.
I took the cushion covers off and washed them, gentle cycle, cold water, cold rinse, free and clear detergent and vinegar in the rinse.
I sprinkled the foam inserts with baking soda, let it sit 30 minutes and vacuumed it off, then did the other side.
I tipped the thing over, shook all the stuff in it to one corner, pulled out one staple holding on the bottom frame cover so I could get it all out and re stapled it.
Then I vacuumed the couch like crazy with all my attachments.
Then I got out the attachment for my Bissell and steam cleaned (1 part white vinegar 2 parts hot water) all the padded parts of the couch and misted the unpadded parts (like the cloth over the springs under the cushions) with a vinegar and water spray.

The couch and cushion covers are still drying. DH and I are stretching the covers by hand every hour as they dry, hoping they won't shrink too much.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
mom2many2010 likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have slip covers and the couch covers can come off, so I wash both. My covers are two piece. They have LOTS of options on amazon. I bet there's sectional covers on there.

March 11th, 2013, 02:37 PM
My method worked, the oversized chair is clean and fresh and I added some new batting to the back cushion to re-fluff it after 7 years of being squished. I will be tackling the big couch and all the little pillows with the same method starting tomorrow. I might do the pillows tonight (the covers don't come off on the pillows, just the cushions) on our couch.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search