I am 2... I guess we start over

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2267Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2014, 09:21 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Our odysessy is set up with one full size car seat, infant carseat, booster seat in the middle row and back row is 2 booster seats. There is plenty of room still and the hatch is huge! never thought I would be a minivan lover ...lool

When we lived in the UK. Long life milk was very common there ...the shelves are stocked with alot to choose from. Not like here. And it takes reallly pretty good. We had fresh milk delivered to our door and the one tastes just like it. Not bad for the those type of emergencies or when traveling.

So I bought some hula hoops and jump ropes yesterday for the kids...and man that hula hoop is my new work out...!!!! and did I mention the jump rope! no excuses at all !!!

I was suppose to take the car in today for the recall thing but canceled because I just dont feel like sitting there for 2 hours ( they said hour and half ) not with all the littles.
February 17th, 2014, 01:51 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Nothing much here. Just another Monday that #3 will be lucky to make it through. She refuses to practice her flute. I've spent the last almost-2 hours harping on her. Grrr!!!

February 17th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am busy packing.....ick. I helped my friend move on Saturday. seeing how not-ready she was for the move has made me get serious around here and be certain that on actual moving day, everything is done. cleaned out my desks and office/sewing room today and packed it up, almost all the way. going to donate one desk and use the other in my daughters room at the new house.

might fill nail holes from pictures later today....might not. I have a dinner group tonight to go to and then tomorrow its back to the grind around here.

~~terre~~
February 17th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So this is what I was busy doing this weekend. Well, actually just Sunday. We had company stay from Friday til yesterday. Friday we went to a movie, and out for dinner, Saturday we had our usual company over, then yesterday the woman of our company helped me put all this stuff together, and shop, then we fed them dinner and they left to go home.

The new storage is what we built, the boys got new comforters too. I also got new dining room rugs, and hallway runners.
I am done spending money now.

I actually have our bills (minus water bills, because I'm not sure exactly when our next will come) figured out til next Feb lol
#5in2005 and HalfDozen like this.

February 17th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
That's looks super nice Repti!

I'll be back in a bit but I wanted to share...........……

THE CAR PASSED SMOG!

I did a massive happy dance right in the gas station! WOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
#5in2005 and Repti.Mom like this.
February 17th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMGosh!!! That's great!! I guess you finally found the part?

I love your kids' rooms repti! There so nice, clean and organized. I wish my kids would take care of their rooms like that!

I can't believe it but I'm actually going through the process of looking for a car for my oldest (used of course). How is this possible?!
February 17th, 2014, 05:45 PM
That's crazy! Do you know what to look for in a used car?

They don't have many toys in their rooms at all, we have a play room. That's why they're organized lol

February 17th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I have a car for sale and I could lend you Sam's boyfriend lol

Today has been long, and productive.

Yesterday Jon (the BF) came and put the parts in the car, but he wanted to change the bulbs in the dash since that's why we weren't seeing the check engine light. He got to the stereo and realized he needed a part he didn't have (his excuse to buy a new tool lol). They get it off go back into town to find the bulbs, he took the dash with him.

Now as far as I know that's all he's planning to do.....nope. I guess the visor on the Suburban was loose and bugging him. I didn't notice it, so he replaced that. Then he changed the temperature gauge in the Suburban. He didn't stop there, he then proceeded to fix Chucks door on his truck. It wouldn't close and was a pain.

He wouldn't let us pay him, wouldn't even tell us how much but Sam did know that he only spent $20 on the parts for my car. Freaking $20 and it passed. The guy doing the test just laughed at me when I started hooting and dancing. He said earlier a guy thought his truck was gonna fail and when it didn't he hugged him lol

So I'm going to get him this Snap On lighter he's been wanting and then I'm thinking a gift card to a restaurant.

Now we've decided to sell Megan's car, and use the money for that to get tires on the Suburban. She can use the Taurus if she ever gets a license.
#5in2005 and Momtothe6thpower like this.
February 17th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is a handy boyfriend. I'd keep him and get rid of the daughter if she wants to break up with him.

I'm tired. I spent 3 hours doing last weeks math with #2. Hers was just all wrong. Then we took apart the dryer, cleaned out the vent, etc. that took a couple hours. Then we did this weeks math. Lots of algebra tears today.
February 17th, 2014, 08:32 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Way to go M2M!!!!! thoughtful idea to say thanks to the BF.

When you ladies are car shopping for your kids, do you go for price first or how much on repairs, ins ect or do you just go for what you like?
mom2many2010 likes this.
February 18th, 2014, 04:58 AM
My husband is a mechanic, and my kids aren't getting **** unless they have a job and are paying for their own insurance (we pay in 6 month terms, so they would have to have that money upfront) so I would just look at the car itself.

I need a new battery for my laptop. It only lasts about 20 minutes off the charger.

February 18th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Haha FW, yesterday Sam and I were talking and she said that she told Jon that if they ever break up he has to promise to let her parents down easy cause we'd be heartbroken. The my oldest asked her if Jon were to Asked her to marry him would she say yes, and she said she would, but she is no rush for the question lol

Repti I used to say I wouldn't get my kids a car, but we're so rural that the only way to get a job to afford a car was to have a car. We more or less passed cars down as each one got a license. I just bought a laptop battery and I think I paid $20 on amazon.
February 18th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hats of to you homeschoolers, I was more than happy to send the kids off to school today. The way my 13 year old was moping around was really getting on my nerves. Either tell me what's wrong so we can deal with it or get over it. There's also been a lot of complaint about things that are within their own power to change, so I guess that's where my irritation started. (Can't find your stuff? don't leave it lying around. No lids to containers? put the containers in their spot so the whole drawer isn't such a mess). We've got the 2 extra's here, so that makes a few test the boundaries.

When my kids were young I was always sure that I'd NEVER buy them a vehicle to drive and never would pay their gas etc. and NEVER EVER let them drive to school every day. Turns out that we really don't want our kids driving our newer vehicles, and we'd much rather have them drive something older, and now dd has work experience at a vet clinic about 7 miles away out of town, so guess what? We're in the process of buying another vehicle (the one she had blew up and would cost 8K to repair), we pay her gas and she drives every day. The whole paying for gas thing may have been up for discussion, but she puts 97% of her earnings in the bank for savings, so I'm ok with paying for it. If she were a frivolous spender then she'd have to pony up herself.

As far as what we buy for her to drive our criteria for right now is older (10 years or so) that will pass inspection, and then cross our fingers.
February 18th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
If we'd had some form of public transportation I would have never bought the kids cars, but we have nothing. You have to have a car out here there is just no way around it. We only paid for gas until they had jobs, then they paid for gas and we paid for insurance.

We also go for older cars, personally I like older cars better especially trucks. I guess Jon's gonna come out today and work on Megan's car...the boy is bored. I think I'll offer him our big truck to work on if he's feeling up to it (wink, wink)
February 18th, 2014, 08:57 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
In Saudia there is no public transportation and women are not allowed to drive to its a given that your sons will be driving and having a car given for school and such. plus there, your car is your profile for the young guys. Road rules dont apply when driving ( its super scary roads there, probablly cus its all men lool ) so its all about the fastest, most suped up car, BUT being in the US we can take a slightly different approach with it. We for sure dont buy the sports cars or make any decsions based on entitlement. I want to know that its something they can afford to fix and maintain. and be safe in.

I was in a dept store looking at microdermabrasion and wrinkle/lifting cream with all 5 of my young ones yesterday and 2 of them kept bopping around asking me questions so I told them to just stand next to me and not ask anything while I look for what I need. THen this lady just comes right up next to me and starts explaining to me what each of them was for and how it worked. SHe didnt work there but then started telling me that she was 50 and she uses this organic stuff and swears by it. looool...by that time I lost all train of thought and decided to just come back another day.

Nice of her to try and help but now I have to go back again to the mall and do it all over again and more confused than what I was lool....

Night school today because yesterday was holiday so have to worry about that tonight and tomorrow. I dont like them being squashed to gether like but will manage.

Last edited by AmiraX4; February 18th, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
February 18th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have really good public transportation here, even rural areas have it good. Only one who has it bad is my 12yr old, the bus that goes from one of our neighbouring township to her school starts at 9am, so I have to drive her, otherwise she would have to get the bus down the mountain, go up 4 train stops, then get a bus back up the mountain again.
Getting home she's fine though.
But then you can't get your license until 18 here, so we pay for the lisence test as a birthday present, all up it costs around $400, but everything else, car, rego, petrol, insurance, they have to pay for.
February 18th, 2014, 11:14 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
#5, so sorry about the dog! We've lost 2 to the road, and my girls have taken it hard every time.

My oldest drives. We paid 1/2 of driver's ed (it was almost $800). We pay her insurance. She picked out her own car so definitely based on price. She paid for 1/2 of that, and my dad loaned her the money for the other 1/2, but for her birthday, I told her we would pay her loan, so she only had to pay for 1/2 of it. We also went halfsies on the registration (about $200). She is fully responsible for gas and the state inspection. Most repairs are on her, but it depends on the repair.

So, my kids know about the baby now. #1 was being a little snarky last night at dinner saying something about my period. Then she got this funny look, and said, "You're not!!" So, a few rude comments from her & #3 about me needing to keep my legs shut. I told them, "Thank you, Grandma. That's rude!" since hubby's mom just told me the same thing a few months ago. Hubby jumped immediately to my defense. #2 ended up upstairs crying after dinner. We didn't see the oldest 3 for the rest of the night. #4 told us she wants a sister. I told her the odds are good. #5 has no clue. Good thing everyone has 8+ months to adjust to it. Spoiled little twits!!!

February 18th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My girls were PISSED when I was pregnant with Kailyn. I had no intentions of telling them, but s caught me throwing up and knew. They did get over it, but I heard they were moving out, how unfair I was, that didn't I know what created it. Now they keep telling me it's time for another one, to which I reply that they are right, that's why I'm waiting on them...
MIL2lissy8 and HalfDozen like this.
February 18th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
good response, M2M. but really, don't push it. there is a time for grandkids and its not while you still have little ones at home......

heading out for a meeting of our high school reunion committee. its over an hour drive for me but hoping they will agree to meet somewhere more in the middle for next time. kinda excited about this!

~~terre~~
February 18th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are looking for something older that is still in good shape. Preferably a one owner, grandma car, lol! She's still 15 and hasn't gotten her permit yet so she won't drive right at 16 but she'll have a year of us teaching her in her own car. I don't know about anyone else but if I get in a car I've never driven before it's chaos until I figure out where everything is, lol! So at least she'll be comfortable behind the wheel before she takes off by herself.
We'll pay for the car but she will pay the ins. That's been the deal since she was like 3. She'll also pay her own gas and won't be allowed to leave our home town without an adult for...ever...j/k'ing. It will be awhile though.
We don't intend to pay a lot for the car. I'm hoping to keep it below 5k with all the registration fees included.
Our names will be on the title so we can sell it if she decides to be a rule breaker.
There is also the chance that she will inherit dh's escape but it's a standard and I really don't think Lyss has what it takes. She'll get confused and flustered and who knows what could happen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search