I am 2... I guess we start over

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2509Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i am getting excited for your visit, tammy!!!

~~terre~~
August 18th, 2014, 01:21 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
ohhh just keep rubbing it in, Terre...LOL
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
August 21st, 2014, 07:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, the babies are home(my brothers twins)....because I just saw on facebook that they came home yesterday. My brother and fiance are running a hundred miles an hour, they're supposed to move in together this week yet and I wish they would stop, make a plan, and then tell us what it is. There's lots of us to help and make things go easier and faster. And really between a not yet 1 year old and 1 month preemie twins, you've got your hands more than full, and you just have to accept that you're going to need some help.

People are exhausting. There's a lot of "people" stuff going on.
UrbanMomma and MIL2lissy8 like this.
August 21st, 2014, 09:48 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Yay for babies being home and wow, they have their hands full!

Nothing really going on here, getting ready for school and sad to see the carefree days gone.

Hope Cybele, and Amira are okay. Haven't seen them around.
August 21st, 2014, 02:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm here. It's just been a crazy week at work so I have nothing else going on. Coming into spring soon so everyone and their dog are getting married so it's been non-stop back to back appointments.
August 21st, 2014, 03:57 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
#5, glad to hear the twins are home. I hope they get more realistic about the help soon and grateful to have people who are willing to help out.

Matilda had her second day of school today. She's loving it. Evelyn misses her and can't believe she has to go every day all day. I'm glad she's having such a great time, but I feel like we're not getting enough instruction for the basics, little things like WHERE TO LEAVE OUR KIDS, and am a little turned off by the feeling that parents are absolutely not welcome. I was told to walk her in today because she didn't know where she was going and there weren't any spare adults to help. Half way to her class, a teacher I've never met took her from me and kicked me out of the building. I kept a cheerful face on for Matilda and she had another great day, but I was seething about how hostile she was! This is going to take some getting used to, and I'm sure repeated refrains of "should I have homeschooled her? This may have been a mistake." But, for now, she's happy, so we'll see how it goes.

August 21st, 2014, 06:24 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would not get along well with a school like that. It is just best for everyone that we homeschool.

We are at the hotel. Moving in #1 tomorrow morning! She is so weird. Doesn't seem to care, not excited, not scared.
August 22nd, 2014, 09:15 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
If I have to hear one more time about these *&$%^(# school supplies, I'm going to blow my lid!!! You'll get them when you get them!!!

New picture in progress......
August 22nd, 2014, 11:02 AM
FW, interesting that DD is so blah about such a monumental occasion! Do you think she's putting on a stoic face, or is this just who she is? Have you told us where she's going? Is it far from home?

Half Dozen--don't get me started on the school supplies! Why can't the school just supply them? What the H was the "registration fee" for when we still pay unbelieveable amounts in taxes, buy our own supplies, send in or buy lunch and snack and drinks, pay for field trips, teacher gifts and parties and host 2 huge fundraisers per year?!
Who is pestering you about them--the kids or the school?
MIL2lissy8 likes this.

August 22nd, 2014, 01:17 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Oh, it's the kids - my 13- and 12-year-olds. #1 gave them a bunch of school supplies that she doesn't need, but of course, it's not enough. It's never enough. Where we lived in MA before this, the school provided the supplies - well, the elementary anyhow. That was soooo nice! I guess even living there we'd be having to buy them since they're in middle school. They have almost a week until they start school. They know they'll get them.....

New picture in progress......
August 22nd, 2014, 02:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I get confused about how you guys do school supplies. Here the school provides exercise books and all the stationary stuff each kid has their own, so you only buy for your kid and painstakingly label everything with their name only to find that they traded half of them *sigh*

Then in high school you have to buy everything, textbooks included and end up $500 out of pocket for each kid, especially when they don't pick the same subjects so they can't use their older sibling's books.
August 22nd, 2014, 03:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we dont buy books here till college....but that being said it is often in k-12 that there are not enough books or they are so old that they really dont work out well.

i bought a crapload of school supplies for the 4 grandsons and it still wasn't enough.

~~terre~~
August 22nd, 2014, 08:10 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Here they want all the school supplies, notebooks, folders, paper, scissors, erasers, kleenex, sanitizer, etc. Then they ask for classroom supplies too, like for cleaning the room or stuff for the teacher.

I will buy the basics, but I am not buying classroom or teacher supplies.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
August 24th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Here, the school provides the books until college, but we are given ridiculously specific lists of supplies--I kid you not, our list included a type of glue stick that is only sold in ONE store in our town, and, of course, that store doesn't carry all the rest of the supplies!! It's a racket. I had to pay a $75 registration fee (still don't know what that is for) another $70 for school supplies (over half of which were things for the teacher or class room like tissues, sanitizing wipes, dry erase markers and chalk board erasers), we get hit up for 2 big fund raising clothing and toy sales a year (work it, donate to it, and buy at it) plus parties, teacher gifts, selling crap from frozen food to books to wrapping paper, they want us to bring in box tops, and do some kind of "code" at the grocery for extra money AND I paid over $15,000 in property taxes last year!! I hear in highschool they get special fees per class, too. My housekeeper's kid just had a $500 bill for this year.

Where I grew up, we had to bring our own supplies like folders, notebooks, pens, crayons, calculator, ruler, etc. But the lists were more suggestions than anything else and the only "community supply" I was ever asked for was printer paper in high school, everyone was asked to bring a 500 page pack. But, in Indiana we had to rent our school books, which was hundreds of dollars by high school, and we had to give them back at the end of the year. But the taxes were more like $2,000.

August 24th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Parties? Teacher presents? What are you guys doing up there? Haha.

Just had to pick my youngest up from school, he has HFMD. He has been constantly sick this year, it's unbelievable. He's missed at least a month's worth of school in sick days.
August 25th, 2014, 06:37 AM
I know, right?! Two years ago, I had to come up with TEN end of year AND Christmas gifts for the preschool teachers because there were so many of them!
They were wonderful and work hard and make my kids very happy, but I simply don't have it in my budget to do even $10 gift cards for that many teachers twice a year. We baked them coffee cakes.

And they always do a Halloween party, Christmas party and end of year party. I hear in Elementary this year we'll also expect a field day, an art expo day and a 100 days party.

Can't they just go to school, learn, and come home? lol

August 25th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They do a 100 days thing at my kid's school but they just get a badge that says "100". They have an end of year party, but the most elaborate I've seen those get is pushing the tables up against the walls and dancing around. Nothing that costs anything.

They tend to have a lot of dress up days, if anything, where you have to bring a gold coin donation if you dress up (so $1 or $2) the money from that goes to a charity though, not the school.

Last week they had Children's Book Week and on Wednesday they had to dress up as their favourite book character, we're coming close to the football grand final so thrre will be a wear your team's colours day, then things like jeans for genes day, red nose day and such. They don't have parties though, just different clothes and a fashion parade for CBW or running around the oval to their team's song for footy day.

Last edited by cybele; August 25th, 2014 at 04:57 PM.
August 26th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I spent $80 total on the supplies for all four kids, so not bad at all. That was just the things on their lists....they are using the same bookbags and lunchbags from last year. There was a fee too, but it was like $5-$10 a kid. No one even got new clothes or shoes...they seem to have what they need for now. I got off easy this year.
August 26th, 2014, 06:07 PM
deaths final kiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies. I haven't kept up on anything, I hope you are all doing well. I've been having a hard time dealing with life lately, so I've kept to myself. Just got back online this morning because of this:

I'll test again in the morning, and have an appointment Thursday. I'm terrified instead of excited, worried that it's a false positive, or that something will be wrong with this baby/pregnancy too.

Angels 3-27-04 9wks, 6-2-14 8w5d

August 27th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Fingers crossed for you DFK.
deaths final kiss likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search