diaper rash/sores

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mom2many2010
  • 1 Post By clouise
  • 2 Post By UrbanMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our little guy, 18 months, has had a few sores on his bum for about 5 weeks now and I have tried everything I can think of to clear it up.

One of our other boys had a staph infection on his bum when he was little and it almost looks like that.

It's not a "rash" more like an little sore, than it clears up and another one starts. He's in cloth normally, but we switched him to disposible for a week and they got a little better, but didnt' go away. Now we are doing cloth during the day and disposible at night.

Any thoughts/experiences?

He shares diapers with his sister and a few brothers wear them overnight, and they don't have any problems

March 18th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd take him to the doctor first. If they say it's "just a rash" then I would switch laundry soap, or start rinsing your diapers more. Washing soda effects some kids really really badly.

If I don't rinse my diapers enough and wash with something with washing soda Sebastian gets blisters on his penis. The one time I was using my own made soap for diapers his butt was SOO bad for a long time. Even if I use something with washing soda and his diaper leaks and it gets on his clothes and touches his skin he'll break out.

Did you try California baby? It's a thicker diaper cream that is ok for cloth. Coconut oil and CJ's doesn't do crap around here.

March 18th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Veteran
I was also having problems with homemade laundry soap causing rashes. Since then, I've switched back to store-bought "perfume and dye free" soap.

However, coconut oil seems to help my kids' diaper rash more than anything else out there
March 18th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Have you tried any of the over the counter anti-fungal creams? Since it goes away and comes back I'm thinking fungal, but I could be wrong...
clouise likes this.
March 19th, 2013, 04:51 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Hmmm, I don't know. Mine never have any diaper rash, except for Kya when she was a newborn and they gave it to her in the NICU!!!
#12 is on the way
March 19th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was thinking it could be fungal as well. The only never-ending "mystery rash" we've dealt with was yeast. I just bought an anti-fungal that said for athlete's foot or jock itch and that did the trick. You can get a prescription cream, but I thought the over the counter anti-fungal worked just as well. It's worth a try anyway. If it is fungal you should see an improvement right away.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
March 19th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
yup - i thought yeast as well. my one son used to have it so bad we had cloth diapers from a service and they had to 'treat' them specially for him. he used asteroid cream and a fungal cream, i think. i would go to the dr and make sure. if it is a staph infection, that is contagious. but then you know that already.....

~~terre~~
March 19th, 2013, 12:38 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I'm tired, it took me a minute to realize that was a steroid cream and not asteroid, like meteor....LOL.
Just_Marie and MIL2lissy8 like this.
#12 is on the way
March 19th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
UM, that made me laugh.

I'll give the fungal treatment a try. Thanks ladies, I didn't even think of that.

We do make our own laundry soap and it has washing soda in it. We've used it a long time and had not trouble, but I guess it would be worth switching to something else for the diapers.

I'll let you know how the fungal cream works. You think I should see results fairly quick?

Thanks ladies!

Beth, poor Bastian. Ouchie.

March 19th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I know! Rockin' Green works well, and I know it has washing soda in it, but I do an extra rinse on the wash load, then run a whole extra load with the extra rinse and it's good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search