How strict are you with bedtimes?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By #5in2005
  • 1 Post By mom2many2010
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When all mine were little I was VERY strict with bedtime. Admittedly because sometimes I couldn't wait for them to be out of my hair, but mostly because it was just chaos when you had everyone tired and grumpy the next day, it just wasn't worth it. We had more bedtime routine back then too, supper, bath, bed.

Now that they're older, we're much less strict. The younger 2 (they're 7 and 10) still have set bedtimes during the week, but we let them stay up a little later on the weekends. My 12 year old goes to bed at 9 and almost 14 year old is usually in bed by 9:30. For my older 3 the rule is that as long as no one gets grumpy I let them make their own choices.

Oh and during summer holidays, forget about it, everyone stays up late when it's nice and warm and light outside. (can't wait)
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
March 26th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine are all little, so still pretty strict. N is 6 and is down by 7 on a school night, 8 otherwise
March 27th, 2013, 05:10 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Littles go to bed around 8-8:30. The middles I say 9:30-10. The olders are on their own.

I am not strict though. I let them deal with being tired if they go to sleep late. I don't allow sleeping in if they do go to bed late.

I'm pretty laid back, sleep when you're tired, eat when you're hungry......
#12 is on the way
March 27th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Not super strict.

The younger ones rotate. Kailyn at 7, most of the time she passes out before her head hits the pillow. Aiden around 8, and Cole and Vanna around 9-9:30. Usually they go to their rooms and watch movies before falling asleep. The older ones are in charge of themselves.

I am strict about wake up times. The little do not get to sleep past nine and the olders ten. I can't stand sleeping the day away, it is a huge pet peeve of mine.
UrbanMomma likes this.
March 27th, 2013, 10:17 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Im pretty a stay on bedtime schedule mommy. My young ones go to bed 7-7.30 with very few exceptions. However, I am not clock worried about when they wake up except if school is on plan.
March 27th, 2013, 10:57 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ah the good old days when I would put them in bed and they would go to sleep at 8....sigh...
Now the battle starts at 8 the littles climb out of their cribs the 5yo gets out of bed sneaks downstairs and gets into whatever suits his fancy. Mind you he shares a room with 3 other boys who are so
involved in their tv show and boy battle that they don't notice him exit. Usually they fall asleep around 10-1030 *yawn* I have to get up early to take the 4 oldest to school, the 3 boys sleep all the way to school most days. The teen is on her own. She stays up pretty late most nights, but gets up 1.5 hours before we have to leave for school on her own to get ready. She knows whats expected of her and does her own thing.
March 27th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not srict at all. Our schedule changes so much. Like tonight they have awanas at church, so they won't be home until 8:30. If I'm lucky that will put them in bed at nine. Generally I try to get them in bed between 8:30 and 9 on weeknights. Weekends are usually about the same, but I'll let them stay up if we have friends over.
March 27th, 2013, 07:16 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes I am strict with bedtimes. My 16 year old has to be in bed by 1030, my 12 year old and 11 year old 9pm and my 9 year old 845, why the 15 minute difference is cus the 11 and 9 year old share a room and are at each other cus of it. my 3 and 2 year olds have 830 bedtimes and kade, my 8 month old well what is bedtime to me is playtime to him
summer months they stay up an extra hour each, except the toddlers and for weekends it depends on their attitude during day, I may give them school bedtimes.
When the older 4 are at their dads they get what ever they want for bedtimes and it conflicts here BUT its not that I want my kids gone away from me, its just I feel sleep helps my boys
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

March 28th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a time really. It does end up being around 7:00 for everyone though. I guess I'm the mean mom. Even the 11 year old goes to bed at that time. What time they actually go to sleep.. well that depends. Boys fall asleep really fast, the girls are up jumping around and going in and out of their room for stupid reasons til about 9:30, usually after WE go to bed.

We go to bed at around 9 most nights, even weekends, I like to have some time to ourselves (kinda) before we go to sleep.

March 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Mine are still really little so we're pretty scheduled. We do supper, straight to bath, then, I put the baby to bed while the bigger ones put on pjs, brush teeth, toilet etc. and then it's time for the bigs to hit the hay.
Most nights it's stories, prayers and sleep, but on nights that they don't have school and have been good all day we let them watch a movie in bed. They love that.

March 28th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm strict until the summer.
March 28th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a lot of littles....so it's usually about 9 pm. I can't believe some of you get away with such early bedtimes, I should send my kiddos over! It doesn't leave much adult time, which is sometimes tough. They are up about 7 o'clock.

I guess we are strict about 9 o'clock....but it's 9 o'clock, so I feel okay putting them to bed than.
HalfDozen likes this.

March 29th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Veteran
I tried for YEARS to get them on a schedule and when I finally did, hubby would be up late watching his shows or his family would decide to come over and it would ruin it. So I try to get them in bed by1030 (Saturday nights earlier since we have church in the morning). It's hit and miss really about how long it actually takes them to fall asleep. Yeah sleep is a major problem in my house. The baby still wakes up every 2-3 hours to breastfeed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search