each other's best friends?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings
  • 1 Post By cnote

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So I hear this frequently from large families (particularly the homeschoolers out there): the kids are each other's best friends. Do you find this to be true in your family?

I'd say yes and no for ourselves, I think often my girls don't even know how good they've got it to have 4 sisters. I grew up with 3 brothers for a long time and I really never had anyone to play or hang out with. As adults my much younger sister and I are close, there really isn't a friend that compares to a sister.
My kids still like their friends and their social lives, but there's definetly less of a "need" for them because they have each other to do stuff with.
March 28th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe...but yet not. I do think that since they have each other they don't need best friends as much. But their relationships, while similar to a bff, are still different in a lot of ways.
March 28th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our kids are each other's best friends. They range in age from 12-1, and in all honesty enjoy being together. But since we homeschool, they learned from a young age to get along and enjoy each other because we are together most of the time.
We have some that are closer than others, but they all get along very well. We teach them that their siblings are a blessing and shouldn't be something to complain about.
babymama10 likes this.

March 28th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
RJ and Becca, yes. No ONE is Sydney's best friend. She has major issues. (probably not even joking about that) Sydney and Jayde do get along if they are the only ones in the house, and neither of them wants to have a friend over.

Those are the only close relationships so far.

March 29th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
This will have to be broke into parts, and might get long, with the kids age's it's not a simple questions lol

The older ones adore their younger siblings. That's doesn't mean the younger ones don't get on their nerves though. They will actually plan things and go out of their way to do things with them.

The older set, get's along and doesn't. Ted is tolerated by all of the older ones. I know that sounds bad, but his mental condition sometimes makes dealing with him difficult, but they don't exclude him, they just do thing's with him in small doses.

Sam and Lupan have a love hate relationship. Their personalities are very different, and Sam can be really blunt at times, that can create hurt feelings. Yet, if either needed the other they would be there for one another. Sam and Megan can fight like cat's and laugh and joke around the next minute. Theirs is pretty typical for sisters. Lupan and Megan are close, but again Megans personality is hard for Lupan, she's a little bobble headed, and comes off ******, but she's not it's just the way she talks...big pet peeve of mine.

As for the younger 4, they fight and love like siblings. They are closer because they do spend every minute together, but that also leads to fighting.

As a whole, they are closer then the average family, but they are siblings and siblings fight and don't always get along.......lord knows I wished they would
March 29th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Mine are still really little, so they don't have much competition for friends from outside the family, but, for the moment, I would definitely say they are each other's best friends.
I expect them to have periods where they are closer or more distant as they get older but I'm cherishing this time of watching that bond grow for now.

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (11 months)

March 29th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran
Well my kids are homeschooled and still young so yes they are.
March 29th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Veteran
Mine are all good friends (aged 8 and under). But when my daughter's friend comes over, the two girls tend to exclude everyone else. Still trying to work on that with them.

We also homeschool, so all the kids spend a lot of time together. They seem to have a better relationship than some siblings I've known. They also aren't tied to the mentality of hanging out with a certain age group. My daughter (8), for example, will make friends with a 3 year old or talk the ear off a 93 year old.
March 30th, 2013, 07:54 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Yes, mostly, though the school aged kids have their own outside friends too.
#12 is on the way
April 1st, 2013, 08:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So far it is true....my kids are very close. I imagine as they grow older they will make more friends outside of the house though.
April 2nd, 2013, 09:47 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Yes although they do have individual good friends as well. My 2 oldest are the closest and that could be because they are older and living together.
April 3rd, 2013, 06:21 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
Yes. for us its 100% true. We homeschool to. I agree with post #3 what she said is very true for most homeschooling families.
April 8th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think my kids would kill each other if I wasn't around to stop them.
HalfDozen likes this.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

April 19th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Veteran
Not true in our family ... don't get me wrong many of them are close but they are not best friends.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search