How much of...

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By mom2many2010

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
your kids' favorite foods do you buy a week? How long does it last?

I can't seem to keep snacks in this house. Since Friday they have gone through 3 dozen eggs, 3 bags of yogurt covered raisins and two bags of clementines, and I'm not even sure how much cereal! It's only Monday!!

And are my kids the only ones OBSESSED with eggs???
April 29th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow! That is a lot of eggs! If I cook eggs for everyone, we go through 9-12 in a meal. Now I want French toast!

April 29th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My kids love hard boiled eggs. They make a great snack and they like egg salad sandwiches.

I've actually backed off the number of snacks I buy. I keep crackers, popcorn, and a variety of cheeses. I buy some fresh fruit when we go into town, to keep it fresh, and that's about it. We do go through a lot of cereal though. It was getting to expensive keeping up with the snacks so we cut them way down, and just do 3 meals a day.
April 29th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I only buy enough for the kids to have one small snack when they get home from school. I'll either make popcorn (on stovetop) or buy 1 pkg of goldfish and all of them share it. Other crackers too of course, but just the goldfish give an example of how much they get.

A lot of my kids like hard boiled eggs too. Noah doesn't like eggs for breakfast that much though. He's also the strange kid that doesn't have cheese or dressing on his salad, just plain lettuce etc, and meat and croutons lol.

April 29th, 2013, 04:50 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Well all sweet treats, chips, granola bars, crackers, cookies, etc, are in my locked snack trunk. It has a padlock and only dh and I know the combo. We keep extra cereal in there too. Otherwise it would be gone almost the same day it comes in the house.

My kids like hard boiled eggs too. They also like celery with dip or peanut butter. Omgoodness we go through a lot of peanut butter. Jelly toast too, bananas, apples, oranges, cheese.

I know we buy a lot less since we got the lock box. I want a "fridge locker" for stuff like yogurt.
HalfDozen likes this.
#12 is on the way
April 29th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my kids don't like eggs, a dozen lasts three weeks.
My kids are pretty little, snacks are meant for school lunches and they'd still rather eat fruit right now
April 30th, 2013, 05:53 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I don't buy a lot of snacks. I have stuff like trail mix, dried apricots and berries, fruit, raw veggies, etc. But my kids are young and I keep a lock on the pantry. If I left it open and gave my kids free access, they would sit down and choose to eat an entire pack of hamburger buns for a snack in one sitting. When they are smart enough to make good choices, I'll give them free access to the food. Till then they will eat when and what I give them to eat.

April 30th, 2013, 08:31 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
UM & Que, I need to get one of those locked trunks! We have talked about finding a way to lock the refrigerator & freezer several times, but mostly, the snacks they gobble up are out of the drawer or the pantry. I am confident that if it was under lock and key, we would not go through them nearly so quickly!!!

April 30th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
my lock and key is when its gone, it gone. They do learn self control when they get tired of having nothing.
therevslady likes this.
April 30th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2many2010 View Post
my lock and key is when its gone, it gone. They do learn self control when they get tired of having nothing.
Same here! I try to tell them that if they eat it all at once they will have nothing left later on in the week.

I feel like for the most part my kids eat healthy...they just eat ALOT! And they get on these kicks...like right now it's the clementine oranges, eggs and yogurt covered raisins but a couple weeks ago it was hummus and carrot sticks. I guess cereal never gets old.
April 30th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I've tried the "when it's gone, it's gone" approach but it doesn't quite work for my 2 and 4 year olds. My daughter, who is 8, makes great choices. But the littles can't be trusted. My 4 year old especially- but he also has other issues. I think he might have ADHD, and he's either eating, moving furniture around my house, trying to eat, drawing on a wall or something, stealing food, or tearing something apart. He managed to get his hands on a jar of peanut butter today (I accidently left it out on the counter). He ate half of it, then smeared the rest of it in the carpet in his room with his tonka truck. So yeah. Locks. HUGE padlocks.

April 30th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I always have cheese and crackers and lots of fruit around. I don't buy a lot of cookies and fruit snacks type of things and we do always have granola bars. I guess I don't have any hard and set rules, but you get pretty unpopular around here when you're the kid eating all the cokkies.
April 30th, 2013, 02:44 PM
....annnnnnd just scrubbed jelly out of the carpet in his room. Serenity now.

April 30th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
I've tried the "when it's gone, it's gone" approach but it doesn't quite work for my 2 and 4 year olds. My daughter, who is 8, makes great choices. But the littles can't be trusted. My 4 year old especially- but he also has other issues. I think he might have ADHD, and he's either eating, moving furniture around my house, trying to eat, drawing on a wall or something, stealing food, or tearing something apart. He managed to get his hands on a jar of peanut butter today (I accidently left it out on the counter). He ate half of it, then smeared the rest of it in the carpet in his room with his tonka truck. So yeah. Locks. HUGE padlocks.

My kids have such an age gap that I kept things for the little ones separate from the older ones, and they would stay out of that.

Peanut butter? Oye, I bet that was a pain to get out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
....annnnnnd just scrubbed jelly out of the carpet in his room. Serenity now.
Maybe the carpet is hungry...? lol
April 30th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I'd go insane if I had to lock stuff up! I know in some situations you have to, but it would drive me crazy! I might be committed if I had to get pb out of my carpet though! We have a big fruit basket well stocked for them to eat at any time. I buy Costco size string cheese and yogurt and huge boxes of crackers. My kids don't go through it too quickly. I have a Costco size fruit snacks in the car and we've had it forever! I don't buy cookies or things like that often. I'll bake cookies and they last for days. If I buy a pkg of cookies I expect it to last two days at most. I don't buy junk snacks often. Usually for parties. We do go through a lot of cereal because we eat it most days for breakfast. I'd rather have a homemade breakfast, but I'm so not a morning person!

April 30th, 2013, 06:03 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
They don't eat us out of house and home when I'm home (like I am right now for maternity leave). It's when hubby and I are both working. I swear, they eat anything that's not nailed done ... just because they can!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search