Longer early labors after many pregnancies?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alison79

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello Large Family ladies,

I haven't posted here in a long, long time, but I have a question about labor and was wondering if anyone could offer any insight. I've heard it said that the more pregnancies you have, the longer your early labour can be, as in days or a week of contractions that aren't too serious before going into actual labour.

Have you found this to be true?

I'm having my 5th and for almost the past week I've been having bouts of contractions. The last few days they've been every day for hours and hours, 5-10 minutes apart but not particularly painful, and of course quitting once I go to bed. Just wondering if I'll actually go into labor at the end of this and if this is common among 5th+ pregnancies.
May 5th, 2013, 03:52 PM
aln030482's Avatar <3 Proud Mommy <3
This may not answer your question, but I'll share what happened to me.... I noticed with my 5th pregnancy that what you're describing is very similar to how my contractions were. At my 37 week OB appt. I mentioned this to my OB, & as a precaution because we had to have a repeat c-section, he sent me to L&D to be monitored. My contractions were actually every 10 minutes a part when I arrived, so they gave me IV fluids to see if it would stop them, since my OB doesn't use any type of medication to formally stop labor after 37 weeks. Well instead of stopping my labor, the IV fluids did just the opposite. I went from contractions every 10 minutes to every 2-3, and dilated 3 cm. in a matter of an hour. We then decided that it was time for the c-section.

DH - 35, Me - 31
DD - Kira Rae - 3.29.00 - induced @ 41w 3d
DD - Kaila Rose - 9.8.01 - stalled labor, c-section @ 39w6d
DD - Kelly Rebecca - 1.14.03 - induced, VBAC @ 41w5d
DS - Kobe Rian - 8.12.04 (lost twin at 13w) - IUGR - stopped developing @ 34w, emergency c-section @ 37w
DD - Kurstin Rubi - 1.9.07 - unexplained pre-labor starting at 26 weeks, spontaneous labor @ 37w & repeat c-section
DD - Kyleen Ryli - 5.16.08 (lost twin at 8w3d) - preeclampsia - emergency c-section @ 34w6d
DS - Kory Reed - 3.1.10 - gestational diabetes - repeat c-section @ 39w2d
EDD 12.2.13 - Kole Reese - TEAM BLUE!!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 5th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Veteran
I have 4 kids and they were all different in lengths of labor but I never had contractions until I was actually in labor.
May 5th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with my first 3. Then #4 I went into labor on my own. I was having regular contractions for 3 days prior to my water breaking. Then my labor stoped and I had to be induced to finish the job. I was wondering this same question as you since this is my 5th as well.

May 6th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure Erin, but I wonder if these contactions are actually dilating you. I wouldn't be surprised at all if by the time you actually start real labor you're already like at 4+.

Best of luck! And I can't wait to hear what you have.
May 6th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
^^I am thinking the same. I am having other signs of dilation so I'm hoping it's not all useless! I have an appointment tomorrow so I hope to find out.
May 6th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Veteran
I had weeks of early regular contractions with all but one of mine. With that one I felt very blessed because I was dilating without contractions until I went into transition. At that point it was one long contraction for 45 minutes until he was born.

May 11th, 2013, 05:52 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I didn't have any prelabor with my first or my third, but I had weeks and weeks of early labor with my second and fourth. It was SO HARD. I wound up being induced with my second due to pre-e and being 42 weeks. I went into labor (ish) naturally with my fourth at 42.2 weeks. I did have long early labor with my 3rd and 4th though. Contractions remained 10 mins apart (cervix was dilating though) until my water broke with both of those kids. Once my water broke, I had about 20-30 mins of active labor and pushed those babies out both very quickly.

May 11th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, starting with #3 I had weeks of prodromal labor. By the time #7 was born I was used to it. My midwife said it is very common. She has 6 and experienced it herself
4 boys likes this.

May 13th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the replies. It's been two weeks now and I've just chalked it up to normal and ignored it for the most part!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search