12 passenger van question

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Counting our Blessings
  • 2 Post By cnote

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2013, 07:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are planning a trip to Florida in October and taking the 2 grandmas (so 8 of us). We looked at renting a 12 passenger van for the 17 hour drive.

I don't remember the model but the ones they have are all very basic. They have bench type seats w/o headrests.

Will this be comfortable for a long trip? Without headrests for the grownups?
How is the suspension in these? Is it bouncy on the highway?
What about gas milage when it is loaded up?

Thanks so much ladies!

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

July 3rd, 2013, 07:23 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have a 15 passenger , so basically the same. Mine has headrests though. I can't really comment on the ride in the back, as I always drive and have never ridden back there. None of the kids have ever complained though, even the bigger ones.

Gas mileage in it is awful though, no matter what. I think I top out at 11 mpg.

Ohhh, I was going to say too, I have ZERO cargo room in my van. We have to take a seat out to go grocery shopping. Not sure if a 12 passenger has more room, but my 15 passenger has NONE!!!
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
July 3rd, 2013, 07:39 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
A 12 passenger extended would have more room for packing. That's what mine was and I could load a room in it.

Gas mileage, as UM, said will suck no matter what you do.

the back of mine wasn't bad, it took a little adjusting but nothing horrible. It's more of a different sensation then it is anything else.
July 3rd, 2013, 09:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We looked at the 15 and there was no room for luggage unless you took out the last seat. The 12 that we saw and some room for luggage with all the seats in place. Must have been the extended version.

I am looking at flights again. I am all over the place with this trip. I want to fly and just get there and be done with it but money (as always) is a huge part of the decision.

Our Blog

July 3rd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Have you figured out approximately what gas would cost at about 11-15 mpg? Is it cheaper than flying? I would have no idea never having gone anywhere....LOL
July 3rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with UM calculate the gas $$ vs flights. it might be cheaper to fly. My 15 is missing the first bench row, so that's where we put our stuff. Not very convenient.
July 3rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, my 15 passenger (modified to fit 11) is a fuel *****, lol! It costs over $100 to fill her up.
I know when we first got it I remember thinking it was a rough ride compared to my mini van. I was very pregnant and the bouncing keep giving me b/h contractions so that made it worse. Now I don't notice it at all, whether it is because I'm used to it or not pregnant I don't know.
I do love the seats in mine but they are all bucket seats through out.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

July 3rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
Veteran
I have a 12 passenger van. It takes 85 to fill it up. Ours has plenty of space in the back plus you can fit stuff under the seats without it being in the way. It isn't fun for an adult (and I'm pretty petite) to get in the back though. We have headrests. It is pretty bouncy on bumps or holes but not just driving on a straight road.
July 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It will run us $1200 if we can go straight through without getting a hotel. It is 17 hours without traffic and without stops. Factor in if we need to stop for the night (which I just don't see how we can do it with the 2 grandmas and the 4 kids) it will be another $100 times 2 because we need 2 rooms. So maybe $1500 to drive

Flying for 8 is $3000 (including the rental van) We have 8 people so many of the rental minivans fit 7 and that wont work. Plus our luggage. We are not doing Disney this trip. We are staying outside of Orlando in a Townhouse rental and plan on doing Sea World and water parks. I already have the Townhouse booked and the tickets paid.

Our Blog

July 3rd, 2013, 05:22 PM
If it is twice as much to fly as drive, then that would be my answer.

Enjoy your trip!
July 3rd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The other option would be to take two cars but that is a given that we won't make it without stopping at a hotel for the night. About the same cost as renting the 12 passenger.

So 12 passenger or two cars? That is where I stand.

Our Blog

July 4th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would vote one vehicle, only because it keeps everyone together for good and bad . No one to get lost, side tracked, etc.

Have a GREAT time!!!
MIL2lissy8 and mamato4andc like this.

July 6th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I don't have any experience beyond church trips as a teen with a 12 or 15 passenger van. But we're also thinking about a trip to Orlando with 4 kids in October, (but next year, not this year) so the transportation question has been rattling around my mind, too.

Have you looked at Spirit Airlines? It looks like you could fly 4 adults and 4 kids for $1,200-2,000 depending on your exact dates, using Spirit, and even less if you join their "$9 fare club" (you'd have to do the math about whether or not joining that would be worthwhile for your family)

July 7th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think Spirit is that crazy airline that charges you for everything under the sun...after your tickets. Carry ons are extra. Personal items need to be smaller than a lap top bag and they charge for those too. Then it sounds like they split up kids from parents pretty often. You can have a little kid with strangers because nobody wants to move. They are good for adults needing cheap flights and who can deal with those types of things. Not a family airline IMO.

Also the problem lies in that we are going as a family of 8 not 6. We MUST rent a vehicle when we get there because we are staying outside of Orlando in a private house. Most rental mini-vans are only 7 passenger. Not to mention that we likely would have a tough time squishing 8 of us into a 7 passenger rental and then squish our luggage without a roof carrier just to get to our rental house.

I still don't know for sure what we will do. I still like the idea of saving $790 and taking our 8 passenger Sienna. I just need to buy a luggage carrier for the roof and they have decent fabric ones for $50. I know I'd be fine in the little jump seat. I'm kinda smallish so I can squish anywhere.

$2000 plus a 12 passenger rental once we get to Orlando is just too much $$$ for us. I did make DH sign up for a Southwest credit card with hopes that I can use it and pay it off to get 2 free tickets for next year. I want him to sign up for the business SW credit Card so I can do the same thing with that one and then get 2 more free tickets.

Next year if we go as a family of 6 I will only need to pay for 2 plane tickets and the car rental. Whew Hoo...we may be a flying large family!
Jenilope and Momtothe6thpower like this.

Our Blog

July 8th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Ah, yeah, I think you're right about Spirit and all the add on fees. That would be obnoxious. Usually when we take trips, DH ends up driving the family car down all packed up because he HATES to fly and and I fly alone with the kids, but since he has all the bags etc, all I have to carry is my phone, wallet, some diapers and wipes in a purse and let the girls each carry a mini back back with their snacks and toys so I haven't fully considered baggage fees etc (and, as much as I'd like one, I wouldn't dare try to enjoy an "adult beverage" on a flight--best case, they'd end up spilling it all over me anyway! lol)

I'd be tempted to go with your regular vehicle and roof top storage, too, for the savings, if you really think you can be comfortable in the little seat for the long drive, there's so many more enjoyable ways to spend all that extra money than a van rental, if you're not miserable with your current set up.

Hope you guys have a great trip and get plenty of SWA miles saved up for next time!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search