Carseats/Vehicles/HELP!!!!!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Six in the City
Okay I am expecting our 5th! What the heck am I supposed to do for a vehicle? We can't fit three carseats across in our van (honda odyssey) in the third row for the life of me. What does everyone else do?? What do you drive? Can you fit three wide in the third row?

Make a pregnancy ticker
Always missing our angels.
July 10th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How old are they? I won't say who, but some of us stop using car seats a little sooner than maybe should be.
July 10th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Six in the City
I have 8, almost 7, 4 in 2 days, and 1. And then #5.

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 11th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are the 8&7 still in cars eats?

The 8,7,4 in the back. The 1 and new baby in the middle.
HalfDozen likes this.
July 11th, 2013, 07:10 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have a 15 passenger van, so I don't really know how you would jam the, forever getting wider, carseats into a smaller vehicle. My best guess would be to use FW's advice.

I personally do not have my 7yo or older kids in carseats any more even in the van. The 5, 4 and 3 yo's are in boosters and then the 15 month old is in a 5 point and soon we will be adding the baby's carseat in too.
#12 is on the way
July 11th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I had to go look up the car, wasn't familiar with it.

I'd have a very similar set up as farmers-wife. Now personally I'd take the 8 and almost 7 year old out of boosters. It's legal where I live. If you are not comfortable with that I would but the 3 older in the back, with the 4 year old in the middle. Can the 4 year old get in and out of the seat on his/her own? If not work on at least getting in on his own. One of he olders can help with getting out. Now to give them more room, I'd use something like this for the older two.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BubbleBum Car Booster Seat (Black-Silver)

Then like FW said put the two youngest in the front seats.
July 11th, 2013, 08:43 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like fw said sorta
back row 7& 4 yo in boosters, 8yo in between them.
Middle row 1 and nb.
July 11th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Any of these will work, it just depends on your state laws.
July 11th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have booster laws for at least 8 here. I'd have two boosters and fit an infant seat in the middle. Have the 5 pt harness kids in the captain chairs. Those seats tend to be bigger. On my back row I'm putting a 12 yr old, 3 yr old fwd facing and an infant seat. Once my babies are out of infant seats we are in trouble! We need something bigger for sure! Our van has 3 full seats in the middle row. I'm going to have to load kids in order to make this work. Some seats puzzle well together. My will be 3 yr olds seat has a high base. It puzzles really well with the infant seat base. It does not puzzle with our other 5 pt harness!

July 11th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Diono Radians are your skinniest, longest fitting seats, I run three across the back of my vehicles fairly easily

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
July 13th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Six in the City
What does everyone drive?

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 14th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Veteran
There was no way I was risking the safety of my babies just because I have more kids. We bought a 12 passenger van. I had all 4 in carseats. Since buying it my 8 year old is now in a regular seat, we are moving my 6 year old to a booster as soon as we get to the store (right now she's in a 5 pt harness), my 4 year old is in a 5 pt harness and my 20 month old is in a rear-facing baby seat because she still fits. Once we get to the store, the 20 month old will be in a 5 pt harness. Baby #5 is due in January. In California the law is 8 years or 80 lbs. My oldest fit in his 5 pt harness until he was 8 years old so we kept him in that.
July 14th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Veteran
My youngest 6 are all in boosters or carseats. I don't put the baby in the 3rd row because its too hard to reach. I put 3 car seats across both rows of my Pontiac Montana 8 passenger. Its very similar to the oddessy. One of the main factors in choosing a carseat is how wide it is. There are several brands of carseats that make a slim design. I know cosco does, and they are very affordable. There is a website, elitecarseats.com, that has a section of narrow carseats.
July 15th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Bubblebum is an not too expensive narrow booster seat and fits 3 across.

I don't mind 3 across when it is a 5 pt harness. However with 3 across and having even one of those be a booster it makes it so hard to squeeze your hand in between the squished carseats and buckle/unbuckle the seatbelt for the boosters.
Just_Marie and arngwifey like this.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

July 30th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Starchaser's Avatar Regular
We have 4 right now, but my suv is a 7 passenger. We usually put our 10 year old in the third row, then the other 3 in the middle row, only youngest ds is in a booster seat there, but I could easily fit three booster seat accross the middle seat, considering the middle seat actually converts to a built in booster when I needed to. I drive a xc90 volvo and love it.

Last edited by Starchaser; July 30th, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
July 30th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have an odyssey, there is no way to fit three car seats in the 2nd row. Third row will fit three, I have belt positioning boosters back there, and could fit another booster in the middle. It's kinda hard to buckle the seats though, and the 5 and 6 yo buckle themselves, so I don't put a booster in the middle of them, because honestly I'm not climbing in the back seat each time we go somewhere. My older kids are 9, 10 and 12, state law says you must have kids in a booster of some sort til age 8. To make a long story short I have the 12 year old sit in the front seat, 2nd row on the far left and right is a rear facing seat for the 10 month old, and a 5 pt booster for the 4 year old (he's not mature enough for a belt positioning booster, 3rd row is two belt positioning seats on the far sides. The 9 and 10 year olds sit in the middles.
Farmers-wife likes this.

July 31st, 2013, 08:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can fit three boosters into the back of my Town and Country. My eight year old is still short enough that she sits better with a booster.
September 4th, 2013, 05:10 PM
mom2zachnmac's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never been really active here and haven't been here at all in quite some time, I hope you don't mind me answering We are having #5 in December. We actually just purchased a nissan NV 12 passenger. but until we decided to do that we had a ford freestar that seats 7. We could get 3 in the back with diono radians. They are super slim and also have very high rear facing weight limits which is very important to me. I did load kids through the back hatch and while it wasn't delightful I was more concerned about the kids being safe. I just wanted to share some links with you that I gathered a while ago when I wrote a post to share with my friends and family about car seat safety. I can share that to if you want to read it. While radian's are somewhat expensive, when your alternative is a different vehicle it really isn't that much, even if you need 3. I will say 3 radian's were the only thing that fit in the rear of my van. Here are the links- Extended Rear Facing
Truth About Extended Rear Facing
CPSafety - Your online child passenger safety resource
The Importance of Rear-Facing - YouTube
Joel's Journey
6-Year-Old's Death Can Be Booster Seat Lesson for Moms | The Stir
Car seat expiration - YouTube
Awareness: Car Seat Safety && Isabelle Broadhead Story - YouTube
Please don't make the decision to booster early or just use the seatbelt without being sure you understand the risks. I know it is frustrating and stressful to find out that your vehicle which seems like a great family vehicle can't seem to hold your family. There are solutions if you look for them- checkout car seats for the littles on facebook for many ideas on appropriate seats and how to fit them in your exact vehicle, I've had a lot of great help there. If you want send me a pm and I would love to help you out!
Kierasmom and arngwifey like this.

[IMG][/IMG]
September 5th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We drive a Ford Expedition. It's a 7 passenger (8 if you count the driver) and I have a 5 pt front facing booster seat for 5 yr old in the third row. My 10 yr and 12 yr old ride in the back with him. Squeakers has a 5 pt convertible car seat in the second seat, and I have my 8 yr old in a booster seat in the middle. I only have him in it because he's too short to properly wear a seat belt. My 14 yr old also rides in the second seat.

September 5th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I drive Dodge Caravan and Chevy Suburban

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search