Inexpensive but yummy meals for large families?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By LABs
  • 1 Post By *Whiskey*
  • 1 Post By *Whiskey*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2013, 09:35 AM
*Whiskey*'s Avatar Moving on to adoption
I'm scratching my head here trying to keep dinner interesting (and eaten) that won't break the budget!
We have to feed 7 total. 2 of those family members are 11 year olds that eat like grown men.

Tonight I will make shepherd's pie, but I would love ideas!!!

"Worry is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere"
(easier in theory than practice!)
July 19th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Everyone has been sharing their 2 favorite easy meals for large families in this thread http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f7...ily-meals.html (Large family meals!) maybe you'll get some inspiration there!

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (11 months)

July 19th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks!!

"Worry is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere"
July 19th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My favorite site for meal ideas is Mel's Kitchen Cafe |. She is a mom of 5 and all her meals I've made have been wonderful. She only uses basic foods, nothing prepackaged. The most prepackaged I've seen is using a can of beans. Using basics really helps keep food costs down. A lot of her meals are simple enough for my 10 yr old to make after I show her once. She has yummy blender pancakes I make from white winter wheat. My girls can blend up the mix and I cook them. They aren't quite tall enough to flip pancakes yet.I only cook on the back burners with little ones around.
Jenilope and *Whiskey* like this.

July 19th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Thank you SO much! I really appreciate that link!!

My 5 year old daughter loves to help cook so I have her doing the stuff I'm fairly certain won't cause loss of limb lol.
Jenilope likes this.

July 19th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DD has always loved to help. She's actually useful now!

Mels kitchen cafe has some of the best desserts you've ever had! Her soups, casseroles and other dishes have been wonderful. Look through her best of recipes. I've been working my way through them. Her chocolate cheesecake is the most wonderful dessert ever! I love a lot of her desserts, but I need the cheesecake and I can't have any while pg. I have a severe sugar aversion, so I can't be in the same room as something sweet. Boy do I want some though! I might be directing my DH through making one if I can't postpartum. All I want is that dessert!

July 20th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Oh my.. I'm not a big fan of sweets but I do love to make them. I know how awful it is to crave something when pregnant and you can't have it!!!

I hope postpartum you get that chocolate cheesecake!!!
LABs likes this.

July 20th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! We are all going through withdrawals! My DD used to make Mels chocolate nutella mug cake all the time. Its a little microwave cake. We'd all share it with ice cream. Its really fast and just enough for a little dessert without making a huge production out of it.

Try her crock pot beef stew! Its amazing! Love her classic chili! Broccoli cheese soup is fast and easy to make. I've been going through her clam chowder recipes. I love all her meatball recipes. I make them smaller and double the batch. Then freeze the cooked meatballs and use them later. She has tons of different sauces to try. My kids love her herb cream sauce! If you like to bake, I love her breads. The Lion House rolls are requested for extended family gatherings. Her cinnamon rolls are wonderful. I love making her huge cinnamon roll in a cake pan. It makes a nice gift for a friend/neighbor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search