Mind your own business or do something? If so, what?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mom2many2010
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By mom2more

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2013, 11:10 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So when I was pg with #8, this guy who works at the grocery got his girl friend pregnant. She was about 30ish, he was (wait for it)...... 63!!! He was freaked all the way out, but excited, but dooshy(he would ask me how long she would have to be off work etc). I ran into them at the hospital when she delivered and he was proud as can be. I saw him last week at the grocery. Kid is cute, he is in love with him, doting, proud, telling me all his accomplishments. But then....

Thursday or Friday I went to the McDonald's. I saw the dad, but no kid (he is almost 3now) so I asked him where is the baby? He said in the car. In the car?!!? Tis is Florida, it is 100* here all the time! I said thatis not ok! H said, oh it's fine, the air is on. So he leaves his sleeping kid in the running car? At a McDonald's? He didn't go though the drive thru, he didn't order to go, he was sitting there eating, reading his paper! I told him I still didn't approve. He started to make "myob" face/remarks but then got up and left. I didn't know which car was his, but then saw him get in and sure enough the kid was asleep in the car seat.

When I was at the grocery today, I asked one lady if she thought he was ok in the head. She said she thought so, it my story concerned her. He doesn't work there anymore. I think he retired when then baby was born, so I haven't seen him since then.

What would you do?
July 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd report it. Babies DIE in the cars in the heat all the time. It's not like leaving a dog in the car with the air on (and I know some people think that's horrible too but I don't put dogs/pets on the same level as people).

July 22nd, 2013, 12:57 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I think I would have reported it, too. I don't know if they'll do anything now though. I hope he doesn't make a habit of that kind of behavior. Why not just use the freaking drive thru?!

July 22nd, 2013, 03:36 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if there's much you can do about it after the fact. Did you get his license plate # you could call the police non emergency # and ask if there's anything they can do. I agree he should have used the drive thru, not been sitting in there eating. What if his dc woke up? Mine would recognize fast food and likely try to get out and come in.
July 22nd, 2013, 03:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I see people do this all the time. Leave the car on and run into the bank/library/store. I can't believe people do it, but I wouldn't call the police and possibly break their windows if the a/c is on. If the kid was in immediate danger I'd take action.

It might be a generation thing. My mom used to leave us in the car with no a/c and the windows rolled down. I remember thinking I was going to die! We were awake and there were no car seats. We didn't have seatbelts in the back! My DH was raised the same way. His brother found a match book or something and nearly caught the car on fire! MIL had two kids on separate situations fall out of the car while she was driving. She nearly had an infant die from being in one of those carriers that got lodged between the seat and the door with the baby in it! Its amazing how anyone survived! My in-laws still don't understand why I'm such a car seat safety freak!

July 23rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I leave my kids in the car on a rare occasion with the ac on, but only if #1 is in there to lock the doors/unlock when I get back. I doubt there is anything the police can do about it now, but if you see it again I would call the police asap.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
July 23rd, 2013, 02:15 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I leave my kids in the car sometimes also, but never to sit and have a meal. That's the part I'm having a hard time with. '

Honestly it didn't sound like the kid was in any danger, so I think what you did was fine.
HalfDozen likes this.
July 23rd, 2013, 04:09 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Omg I would of called the police right then, what a nutjob. Who leaves their kid in a car while they go into Mcdonalds and sit down to eat

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
July 29th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Veteran
I would've called the cops! No kid should be left in a car alone under 12 years. Isn't that the law?!
August 4th, 2013, 08:00 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I'm sure I'm going to quickly offend most of you. Let me first say that I don't think he should have gone in to sit down and leisurely read the paper while leaving his child in the car. That's crazy!! However, running in to pay for gas, grab a quick gallon of milk, etc. - I see nothing wrong with. Small kids are fastened into seats and wouldn't be able to get out, particularly when the air conditioner is on. It would be different if someone left them in a hot car, windows up or down. It is my opinion that there are many occurrences where things are completely fine, but for the nosy people who feel the need to interfere in every situation. Again, I'm not talking about leaving kids in the car, and never in a hot or freezing car, for long periods of time. Where I grew up, people starting calling the police if a child was in the car while the parent went in to pay for gas. I find this completely absurd! If the child were truly in danger, that would be one thing, but I don't agree that them being in a temperature-controlled car for a few minutes while tightly buckled up puts them in any danger. Okay, stepping off my little soapbox now.

I think you did the correct thing, FW, and you've said your piece, and now I would let it drop, unless it becomes an issue again.
Farmers-wife likes this.

August 10th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
For future reference, it is against the law in Florida to leave a child in a running vehicle.

Attached: Florida State Statute 316.6135

Florida State Statute:

316.6135 Leaving children unattended or unsupervised in motor vehicles; penalty; authority of law enforcement officer.

(1) A parent, legal guardian, or other person responsible for a child younger than 6 years of age may not leave such child unattended or unsupervised in a motor vehicle:

(a) For a period in excess of 15 minutes;

(b) For any period of time if the motor of the vehicle is running or the health of the child is in danger.

(2) Any person who violates the provisions of paragraph (1)(a) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(3) Any person who violates the provisions of paragraph (1)(b) is guilty of a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable by a fine not less than $50 and not more than $500.

(4) Any person who violates subsection (1) and in so doing causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to a child commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(5) Any law enforcement officer who observes a child left unattended or unsupervised in a motor vehicle in violation of subsection (1) may use whatever means are reasonably necessary to protect the minor child and to remove the child from the vehicle.

(6) If the child is removed from the immediate area, notification should be placed on the vehicle.

(7) The child shall be remanded to the custody of the Department of Children and Family Services pursuant to chapter 39, unless the law enforcement officer is able to locate the parents or legal guardian or other person responsible
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

October 1st, 2013, 07:54 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hear too many stories on the news and internet about cars being left running and stolen with a small child inside them. That is scary! I feel like if you have older children with you (11, 12, or older) its okay to run into the gas station, post office, pharmacy, etc. quickly and leave them in the car with air on and doors locked. NEVER would I leave a child younger than that in the car unattended for any quick errand. And NEVER would I leave my older children in a car alone so I could sit in McDonald's and eat and read the newspaper. That is just crazy in my opinion.
clouise likes this.

October 1st, 2013, 01:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
A lady I know here in MD had her baby kidnapped from her very own driveway last year. She was getting her children ready for school, went out to the garage to snap her infant in, started the car, and after a few minutes her eight year old didn't come out. She went back in to hurry him along and in that brief time a man stole her car with the baby inside. There was an amber alert and everything...I couldn't believe it. Something like three hours later they found the car abandoned and the baby unharmed still in the back. The cops thought maybe he didn't see the baby when he stole the car and panicked once he did.

Soo...yeah best just to take the time to get the baby back out. Or lock the door and hurry back if the temps are mild.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search