Other kids at your house and vice versa

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By mamato4andc

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What is the norm for other kids being at your house?
How often?
How much of the day?
How many kids?

And also how much time do your own kids spend at their friend's houses?

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

July 25th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
My kids are still pretty little and running in the preschool crowd, so, with the exception of cousins or out of town guests, they still only have play dates. We were doing one a week for a few hours until I was put on bedrest and then they took vacation and the mom is going back to work so I guess that's kind of over. It would be about 3 hours, but the other parent was there, too, and we alternated houses. My oldest has had 2 play dates where the parents didn't come along, 2-3 hours each.

July 25th, 2013, 07:11 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I don't do other people's kids.

My kids can have friends come over and they can play outside or they can go to friends houses and play outside. With the exception of the older kids (14/12yo) who have friends that live farther (read a few blocks) away, the little kids have to stay pretty much in my sight.
mamato4andc likes this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
July 25th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have 1 extra kid to 4 extra kids here from 7am until 9pm with a few breaks in between. On occasion I may have 6 other kids here if the neighbors nephews are around.

There are 2 houses next door to ours that have young girls and all of our kids "house hop" all day long. My house has the most junk food and toys so they seem to be here the most.

My kids wake up asking if they can go to the neighbors at 6:30am and they ask repeatedly over and over again all day long.

Kids have come in my house and into my bedroom while I was getting out of the shower. Thank goodness I was finished and had a towel on.

I try to send them home for meals but they end up eating a lot of our food. If one of my kids has a snack then I can't say no the others KWIM.

It is nice sometimes but really annoying other times.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

July 25th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
We live rural so kids really never just show up. Once they are teens and driving they do, but not before that. I never minded, but that's probably because I didn't have years and years of it happening.
July 25th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Veteran
We are just starting to have a lot of kids around. My oldest is kindof a homebody. She does have friends over once or twice a month. Usually 3-5 of them. My younger kids run back and forth to the neighbors. There are 6 other kids that live in the 2 neighbor houses. Mostly I love that. Sometimes I hate it. I am really trying to have "friends day" every week or two. They each pick a friend to walk home from school with. That way I can just set aside one day and know I wont get anything done.
July 26th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We also are rural, so no one shows up. It's got to be intentional. I don't really care to have many kids over, the kids have plenty of sibs here to play with and enjoy. They rarely ask to have others over.

July 26th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are also Rural, So no one just shows up. But I really don't care to have extra kids over. I'm very busy. Eric and I both work full time and then having 4 kids and a horse its a another full time job lol. Now with another on the way I really say no to extra kids. I just don't have the energy for it.

My daughter is 11 and will go to friends houses. She goes for a lot of overnights at there houses. But the boys don't yet.

July 29th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Starchaser's Avatar Regular
We live in the city and there are continuously other children here. Usually between 1-3 kids at any given time. I do have a time limit on it, so from 1pm until 4:30pm it is okay to have their friends over for an hour or two, in the back yard or to watch a movie etc. There is a high number of kids on our block and out house seems to always be a popular place to hang out. I do love kids though, so it doesnt usually bother me at all unless they get rowdy, Im not feeling well or it gets chaotic. I do however find bulk snack such as mr freezies, granola bars and fruit, as well as mixed juices come in quite handy throughout the day here;o)
July 29th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Veteran
The only kids we usually have over is the cousins for parties/ holidays. If they are well behaved kids, they would be welcome. I don't do disrespectful, rude, lying and/or messy kids. I much rather have extra kids than have my kids where I don't know what's going on.
Starchaser likes this.
July 31st, 2013, 10:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It was like that when we lived on base. Sometimes you just have to say no. Spell it out for them. "I'm sorry, but we're having family time right now. Maybe they can play later." And "You need to knock on the door, and wait until someone lets you in. We can't walk into other people's homes." Talk to the parents too. I had a little boy who just wouldn't stop letting himself into my house (and he was a sweetie, but come on!) I went and talked to his mom, and she was not aware he was doing that and gave him a talking to.

Now off base, we are pretty rural so no one really stops by. The kids do miss it. Now I actually have to call and set up play dates if they want someone over, so it's not too often. Beth and Matt are 7 and 8 now, and they will do drop off playdates or have a friend dropped off here which is nice.
August 5th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
there is about a dozen extra kids around here that are here constantly. I don't like a majority of them. I tolerate one or two. I don't do too many sleep overs unless the oldest is "babysitting" while we go for a walk at night or something. I just got *****ed at today by the neighbor because her kids ask her if mine can sleep over there all the time. Ummm... say NO moron...

August 14th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We also live rural, and now that the kids are older I rarely say no to a sleepover. They're all nice kids that come over, and it's not like there's always someone extra.

If we lived in town and there were lots of kids I'd have to make some sort of boundaries, having so many extra's all the time would drive me a little crazy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search