Desperate & need advice please!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 4 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 1 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 2 Post By Babymakes8
  • 1 Post By clouise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2013, 04:36 PM
aln030482's Avatar <3 Proud Mommy <3
Hello again everyone! I have an issue that I DESPERATELY need help with....

So I have a history of some c-sections (all which were uneventful I might add), and now that I'm currently expecting our 8th child, the doctors are breathing down my neck to get a tubal ligation that I nor my husband really want.

Here's a little bit of history...
My OB history is in my signature, but here's a little bit more info....
So I left my previous OB around my 13 week of pregnancy because the doctors were very uncaring, & they said I was putting their practice at risk with my c-section history. Before I left the practice though, upon inquiring as to why they feel as they do, they did give me a list of medical reasons as to why I should go along with the tubal ligation....

So here's the new practice..... I chose to go to a bigger hospital with an in-house maternal/ fetal medicine staff readily available. Anyways, I asked MFM about the list of medical reasons as to why I shouldn't have any more children & they debunked about 90% of them stating that recent research has proved that the reasons listed were no longer up to date. They even stated that because I've already had 2 natural births, amongst the medically necessary c-sections' that if I should go into labor on my own, the risk of uterine rupture is quite small & they would strongly consider allowing me to attempt a natural labor... again, as long as an induced labor was NOT needed. The only significant risk, they stated, would be placental issues, but after they conducted an ultrasound, they said that wouldn't be much of an issue either.

Then we have the regular OB staff (located adjacent to MFM).... In addition to criticizing me about my family size & questioning how on earth I manage both mentally & financially, they listed quite a few of the medical reasons for having a tubal ligation that my previous OB had stated. After telling them what MFM had stated, they told me that MFM just didn't want to scare me & they were NOT in full agreement with them. As far as trying to have a natural birth, they completely dismissed the idea even if I "show up at the hosptial 10 cm. dilated"... So with that being said, now that I'm 30 weeks, they've really been pushing the issue of tubal ligation & the last two appointments have been BEYOND horrible, having me leaving in tears, which they show no sympathy.

I just don't know what to do anymore & it just seems that nobody cares or understands what I'm going through....

DH - 35, Me - 31
DD - Kira Rae - 3.29.00 - induced @ 41w 3d
DD - Kaila Rose - 9.8.01 - stalled labor, c-section @ 39w6d
DD - Kelly Rebecca - 1.14.03 - induced, VBAC @ 41w5d
DS - Kobe Rian - 8.12.04 (lost twin at 13w) - IUGR - stopped developing @ 34w, emergency c-section @ 37w
DD - Kurstin Rubi - 1.9.07 - unexplained pre-labor starting at 26 weeks, spontaneous labor @ 37w & repeat c-section
DD - Kyleen Ryli - 5.16.08 (lost twin at 8w3d) - preeclampsia - emergency c-section @ 34w6d
DS - Kory Reed - 3.1.10 - gestational diabetes - repeat c-section @ 39w2d
EDD 12.2.13 - Kole Reese - TEAM BLUE!!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 27th, 2013, 05:06 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I absolutely would NOT put up with being bullied. The doctors work for you, you are paying them for a service. Tell them while you appreciate their advice, you and your husband are not in agreement with their suggestions and you do NOT want it brought up again at any further appointment or during or after labor and delivery.

If it is brought up again then contact the state medical board.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
September 27th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, yo have to stand up for yourself. No one is going to do it for you. If you can raise kids, you tell these people to stop harassing you. And find a new office.
September 27th, 2013, 05:38 PM
aln030482's Avatar <3 Proud Mommy <3
Thank you so much UrbanMomma & Farmers-wife!!!

Why oh why do they criticize mothers of more than the 3 or 4 children? I understand that having a large family isn't for everyone, but c'mon already!!

Do any of you ever experience this when it pertains to expanding your family?

DH - 35, Me - 31
DD - Kira Rae - 3.29.00 - induced @ 41w 3d
DD - Kaila Rose - 9.8.01 - stalled labor, c-section @ 39w6d
DD - Kelly Rebecca - 1.14.03 - induced, VBAC @ 41w5d
DS - Kobe Rian - 8.12.04 (lost twin at 13w) - IUGR - stopped developing @ 34w, emergency c-section @ 37w
DD - Kurstin Rubi - 1.9.07 - unexplained pre-labor starting at 26 weeks, spontaneous labor @ 37w & repeat c-section
DD - Kyleen Ryli - 5.16.08 (lost twin at 8w3d) - preeclampsia - emergency c-section @ 34w6d
DS - Kory Reed - 3.1.10 - gestational diabetes - repeat c-section @ 39w2d
EDD 12.2.13 - Kole Reese - TEAM BLUE!!!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Last edited by aln030482; September 27th, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
September 27th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No. Not anymore. In fact, now people keep asking me when the next one is coming. You really need to grow a tough skin and tell them to knock it off.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
September 27th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tell them that IF and WHEN you decide to do anything to permanently prevent pregnancy, it will only be IF and WHEN YOU make the decision for yourself, not when someone else is telling them to do it.

Also remind them if women quit having babies they'd not have a job, would they?
UrbanMomma and MIL2lissy8 like this.

September 28th, 2013, 07:00 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
People give me a hard time sometimes, but like FW said, not so much anymore. I'm not one to hold my tongue though.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
September 28th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe I've spent too much time on this board...but eight just doesn't seem like THAT many.

Honestly, I'd tell them that you and your husband don't believe in birth control. (think the Duggar family) Whether that is the case or not, it seems like they'd have to accept that they are not going to change your religious beliefs, and move on.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
October 18th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
So are they mostly concerned about so many c-sections? I had 6 c-sections and no issues, expecting my 7th and just seen my ob the other day. He did ask me if I wanted my tubes tied after this baby, I said no and he said okay. He didn't pressure or anything else, he doesn't seem concerned about it being my 7th either, he does have a mfm if we run into issues. Every woman heals differently, my ob explained that they have seen a woman have 2 sections and be told no more, while someone can have several and be okay. I don't want to have my tubes tied (been there done that, and had them reversed) dh will get the V when we are done... mostly likely we are done now lol.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search