Older kids babysitting young ones

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Repti.Mom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2013, 07:56 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you have your older kids babysit while you go on date nights? While you run errands? And do you pay them? How often do you have them babysit?

Just wondering. We have an almost 15 year old and a 16 year old who we have babysit sometimes so I was just curious what others do.

October 1st, 2013, 08:07 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If we go out out then the 12 yo is home with them. The rest are in bed, he is allowed to have a friend over, and stay up.

I leave the 10 yo and even the 9 yo home with just the 1 yo and 4 yo sometimes if I have an appointment with another kid, or run to the store. So I guess the answer is yes.

Crap no I don't pay them. They don't pay me to cook their dinner or wash their dirty underwear.
Farmers-wife likes this.

October 1st, 2013, 08:25 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 17,14,12 are all the time being left to watch over the younger ones. I am always having to take some subset to something and either I don't want or they don't want to have everyone go. It is the main benefit to having oodles of kids. Also, we go on dates as well.

I don't pay them.
October 1st, 2013, 06:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My oldest started babysitting our kids when she was 12. At first we wouldn't leave unless the youngest was in bed and we weren't far from home. I don't really think about it anymore now that our kids are all a bit older, but the older kids are in charge of the youngest ones all the time.

I've never paid them for babysitting. I have rewarded all the kids (with a movie or something) in the beginning, the older ones for babysitting and the younger ones for being good for their siblings.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search