Clean house?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Repti.Mom
  • 2 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By Babymakes8
  • 1 Post By #5in2005
  • 2 Post By mom2many2010
  • 1 Post By Babymakes8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2013, 08:00 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do you keep your house clean with large families?

I feel like my house is never all clean at the same time!! And some days I feel like if someone showed up unexpectedly I would be embarrassed!! I don't have a lot of time to clean because trying to clean while my 2 year old is awake is like trying to brush your teeth while eating oreos! A lost cause!! So I try to take my shower, eat my lunch, and get some stuff done around the house when he naps. When my husband gets home he helps, but we have the older kids to run around, cook dinner, help with homework, etc. And by the time everyone goes to bed at night I am just done. I try to do the dishes and throw in a load of laundry and then I lay down and read, or watch a tv show, or something to unwind. I just feel like there is so much to do and not enough time!

October 1st, 2013, 08:09 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One word (or acronym, whatever you prefer) OCD. My house has to be cleaned to my specifications each day. The only thing I slack on is folding laundry once in a while, but that is away in the laundry room, and only happens on days when I get a bug up my butt to shampoo rugs, or paint something etc.
Iluvmybabies* likes this.

October 1st, 2013, 08:33 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Or another word: delegate. There is no reason in the world your older three can't do all the dishes after dinner. That is just crazy to me. Then they can clean the whole kitchen, sweep, stiffer floors, wipe down tables. One of them can clean the bathroom once a week. Rotate.

Our house is never perfect. It is always in a state of use. But the major things are done everyday, usually not by me.
clouise and Heidijens1 like this.
October 1st, 2013, 09:18 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Ahhh, I don't have a word for you really. LOL. My house is in a "state of use" too. It is almost always more clean than not. I pretty much stay on top of it with help from the husband. Its easier for us, I guess, because he works from home and I only work 4am-9am.
HalfDozen likes this.
#12 is on the way
October 1st, 2013, 01:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just do the best you can...and put the kids to work as well. When you have little kids it is a work in progress.

I have a list for every day of the week. It usually has one big job (bathrooms, mop, vacuum whole house, yard work, etc.) and a few smaller jobs. Unless I am ill I get the big job done. The little ones I get done as I can. I usually try to commit 15 minutes to an area. Like I might not feel I have the time or energy to clean the whole living room out, but if I give 15 minutes it looks a lot better and I always have 15 minutes. Maybe the next week on "living room day" I'll have time for a deep clean.

My working list has served me well for years. No matter if my house is clean or not, it keeps me from feeling overwhelmed and gives me little tasks I know I can get done.

Also, my youngest is three and this is the first year I have actually been able to get all my housework done during the day. For years my husband would help me at night and we'd be doing dishes at like 10pm followed by laundry, lol. It's such a blessing to have it all done and just be able to hang out and relax once the kids are in bed now. It's amazing how much easier some things are with just slightly older kids.
October 1st, 2013, 06:25 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do have chore charts for my older kids. Everyday they each have a main area of the house to clean up and their bedroom. But on days they have after school activities or lots of homework I don't make them do their chore. So it really has gotton away from being a daily thing. And their chores help, but I always have to go back and do some stuff and there are certain things I do. Just don't feel like there are enough hours in the day.

October 1st, 2013, 10:45 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
Yup OCD and delegates I am a freak about the state of my house and my girls are very good at cleaning
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 10mo 10/10/13

October 2nd, 2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know what you mean about the busy afternoons and evenings. I'm seriously considering making everyone get up thirty minutes earlier so the kids can get a chore done before they leave for school. Once they get home with homework and everything else the day just gets away from me. They need their sleep though, so I'd have to then try to get them in bed a bit earlier.... Thankfully this fall we only have one evening activity a week (AWANAS on Wednesdays.) This spring they'll be in sports and that will get crazy.
October 2nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Uh...what's a clean house?!
HalfDozen likes this.

October 2nd, 2013, 11:20 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Things in our home our never as clean as I would like but the only way I can keep up with it is to clean as I go. As soon as I see or make a mess I clean it. I have also enlisted the kids to do certain "chores" as well.

Thankfully DD1 is crazy about clean as I am so that helps too
October 3rd, 2013, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just had to get over it. I don't have OCD but generally speaking my house is clean and pretty tidy, but it does get messy when I'm not home enough. Turns out the world doesn't end if there's a little dust on the tv and you don't sweep every day.
HalfDozen likes this.
October 3rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Clean house?

Mine is always lived in, it's a small house with little kids. I do stay on top of things like dishes, wiping things down, vacuuming etc,.. but it's never as organized as I like. It is what it is. My kids do help, but again, we live in it.
Farmers-wife and Babymakes8 like this.
October 4th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
M2m's house sounds like mine. I try to keep up with dishes and laundry. Sweeping and mopping are lowest on the cleaning totem because no lie I could sweep/mop and in less than an hour you can't tell. So sweep/mopping maybe happens 2x a month here.

The bar in our kitchen is ALWAYS cluttered up and it pisses me off!
clouise likes this.

October 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I clean the bar in the kitchen everyday. I can't stand it. And by clean, I mean throw away almost everything, and put the "no home" stuff in the junk drawer or hidden in a box in my room, lol.
October 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We only have one junk drawer. That's the bottom drawer of the filing cabinet, it's where stray tools and batteries, and broken toys, and cords, oh god the cords.... go to die lol

I am VERY anti-clutter, so there's nothing in this house that doesn't get used. If there is I give it away. Seriously. Ask Rob what happened to the chainsaw that just needed a new cord and the extra stereo. lol

October 13th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran
I gave up on clean a couple years ago. Too many little ones. Not enough big ones. Plus, small house and busy family.
We just stick with sanitary until the clutter starts to drive me nuts. Then its cleaning day.
I decided when the twins were born that I would rather spend time doing fun things with the kids than keeping my house clean. In a few years the kids will be older and I can work towards a cleaner house again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search