food/gluten/sugar

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm just wondering how it is in the other parts of north America.

Are the gluten free, sugar free, dairy free etc etc diets as prevelant where you are as it is here?

How about within your own family?

For my family, there's no reason to follow a particular diet, so we eat everything. We make healthy choices most of the time.

And unless there is a really really really really good reason, I will not give up coffee. Ever.
October 28th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Down here it seems there are three types. The "people of Walmart"/typical fat southerner who eats everything and anything. The people who are super sensitive about food, in some way (no sugar, no gluten, no dies) but not all the same. And then me. I'm kind of in the middle. We were at one of the parties and someone had gluten free potato chips. I wasn't aware there was gluten in potatoes.
October 28th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Melbourne on a whole is known for it's food 'snobbery' in comparison to other Australian cities. 'Something'-free, and various other diets are popular and catered for in most restaurants.

Personally, my family is vegetarian, and I am very fussy about the source of our dairy and eggs. I'm also very erm... obsessive about buying local and cooking from scratch. I don't like most packaged foods.
As for coffee... we buy rain for alliance single origin, which I don't think you can say without sounding like a snob, I'm sorry I don't mean to be, it's just what we buy.
October 28th, 2013, 01:34 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
We are trying to eat better, I cook from scratch almost always. I am starting to be concerned about the sources of our meat, dairy, veggies. Everything I am reading is pretty alarming.

We do not follow gluten/sugar free or anything like that. I limit my own sugar/carbs though.

I never drink coffee, disgusting. I wouldn't care if you paid me. LOL
#12 is on the way
October 28th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I'd say we're middle ground Walmart lol

We live in a rural community so I but local/fresh when I can, but Walmart carries
that, so we don't really have to go to farmers markets.

I cool from scratch, have chickens but still buy eggs. Dairy comes out of ears, all
Kinds cause of the husbands job.

I don't over think our food. We eat moderately, we eat what we like.
November 1st, 2013, 08:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My mom is gluten free. Her diet is legit...she was diagnosed with Celiacs a few years back. Once she got used to it, it didn't seem to be much of an issue. They have so much "special food" out now that she can get about anything she wants, and of course a lot of foods are naturally gluten free.

In my immediate household we just have a regular diet. I try to cook healthy and serve plenty of fruits and veggies. I do love my coffee. No allergies for any of us thankfully.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search