School Events

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you guys ever have school events that are clearly meant for families with one or two kids? Like where you are supposed to spend half the time in one classroom, and half the time in another, or there are two "meet the teacher" sessions and then that is it.

These days just wear me out! And I only have four kids....three in school. A small family compared to a lot of you guys...I just feel like I am running up and down the halls and in and out of classrooms the whole time, trying to at least make an appearance for each child.

DH is in the military, so there aren't any other family members around and he isn't available much either. I don't work outside of the home and the school is just down the street, so I go to all their back-to-school nights, class parties, concerts, conferences, etc. I am thankful I am a sahm and can even do these things. Katy Ann comes along with me, but she is three now and behaves well. Much better than when she was two! At least this isn't one of those "no younger siblings allowed" schools....
November 20th, 2013, 08:42 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
It can be hard when trying to do conferences by yourself. I had to reschedule DD1's cause DH was out of country and I couldnt take all including an unpredictable newborn. and i have done them over the phone before too.
November 20th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is one of the many reasons I love homeschooling. I have to talk on the phone to two girls online teachers and that annoys me a little.
November 20th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't run into this very much, probably because our school is a small private Christian school. There's lots of big-ish families, and lots of parental involvement, so I think they just always try to make sure things are done more in a group setting.
November 20th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have homeschooled in the past, and I really think we will return to it again after we move. This is a very nice little country school. The teachers are great, the kids are well behaved, and they have a lot to offer. And yet I still miss the homeschooling. I think it is hard to go back after you get used to all the freedom homeschool offers. We have another 1 1/2 at this duty station, and when we'll be moving on....
November 20th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh I can't imagine. We homeschool, too. How does this work with larger families with kids in school? And with kids across the different levels of schooling: do counties tend to have all their conference days on the same day or week?
November 20th, 2013, 11:45 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
hate it. absolutely hate it.
HalfDozen likes this.
#12 is on the way
November 20th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My kids school was really good about figuring out times that didn't leave me breathless at the end. If they knew there was more then 2 kids in a family the teachers would meet and try to coordinate the times.

In high school it was easier, all the teachers sat at tables and then you would go from teacher to teacher as needed, and sometimes I was even luckier and more then one kid would have the same teacher.
November 20th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The primary school is fantastic at accommodating siblings and multiple appointments.

High school runs the same way as mom2many's so no problems there.
November 20th, 2013, 07:10 PM
meant2bemommie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never really ran into many problems. I have all 4 at the same school and the teachers all got together and made the appointments one after another. Sent me an e-mail and that was that. They were only about 15 minutes each unless I had more to say and that was it. I am at the school so much and talk to the teachers so frequent that there wasn't much left for the actual conference.
November 21st, 2013, 11:05 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
We homeschool so we don't really deal with any of this. We are super relaxed homeschoolers too.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
November 21st, 2013, 12:30 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A lot of the teachers at school like us (or they pretend really well lol!) so we don't have any problems with school events. Now that I leave some of the kids at home conferences aren't that bad. I do them every 15 minutes for the elementary school kids, so next week it will be 4:15, 4:30, 4:45, and 5. Noah's is like some of the others described (dad goes to that one) where all the teachers have tables and you go from one to the next. The pre-k conference is pretty much just playing with the kid at school, then they give you a little report card for home.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search