What happens with your large family when "mommy" is sick?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mom2many2010
  • 1 Post By Momtothe6thpower
  • 2 Post By Repti.Mom
  • 1 Post By clouise
  • 1 Post By MIL2lissy8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2014, 03:37 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
So with flu/cold season in full force, and I know I am just getting over being sick for sometime and some of you here are/or have also. I dont have any immediate family near at all to step in and help me out, which just got me thinking of what other 'large families' do when your sick? who tends to the family and all the household responsibilities?
February 3rd, 2014, 04:37 PM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
If it's on a weekend, I will stay in bed a full day if I'm very sick. After that, I usually feel well enough to get up and do what I need to even if I'm still sick. Aside from that, dh will help, as will our older kids but for the most part, I still do what needs to be done (taking kids to school, picking them up, etc.). The only thing I don't really do is cook when I'm sick and everyone either eats whatever they want and can make or they'll order food.
February 4th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I still do everything myself, and complain the whole time. What a plan, huh? No family here, dh works a lot...he will try to help some when he is home. Sometimes I just declare a movie day and hope for the best. I don't have any itty-bitties anymore, so that makes it a lot easier.
February 4th, 2014, 06:14 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do everything myself still, but I don't complain lol. I usually will go to bed early and DH will put the things to bed.

February 4th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
It depends.

I always seem to get sick when the husband has to work. There is no way for him to help on those days.

When the older ones were home they'd help out with the little ones if they weren't in school.

As a general rule I just trudge through the day. Being sick isn't what slows me down, when I get sick I can not keep my eyes open. I just want to sleep. On those days I wake up enough to make sure the house isn't burning down and to feed everyone.

Mama still has to get it done. The only thing for me is my house is usually a disaster so once I feel better it's like two days worth of cleaning to get it back in order.
clouise likes this.
February 4th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When they were littler I still did everything that really needed done and just hang on the couch all day. Dh would take care of bedtime.

Now they're pretty self sufficient and take care of things pretty good on their own, the house doesn't quite have the "mom" touch, but it goes pretty well.
February 4th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Everything is divided here in the first place, the others just make up for what I would normally do.

When the kids were younger DH would take time off work, but paid carers leave is the norm here, he just had to take in a copy of my doctors certificate.
February 4th, 2014, 02:10 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Wow well your supermoms! I still have to get things done too. I complain though. I have back and neck problems so if I get sick those things usually feel worse and then I have to take my prescription strength pain killers. But like lately when I was having the whole fever and all, I will make quick and easy things to eat.

5 of my 8 kids are 7 yrs old down to 6 months so no one is picking up any slack. Dh has been helpful lately and will take over when he can. He has even take the baby out of our room and into his office for the night a few times for me, even when I just needed a couple hours of sleep.

I miss having family to help out or house help but honestly, when its all said and done and I look back, I get some sort of self reward for doing what I do. I guess that is part of what we as moms (and dads) sign up for, but its still hard sometimes!
February 5th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anarchy!!!
UrbanMomma likes this.
February 5th, 2014, 04:03 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
You guys are allowed to get sick??
#12 is on the way
February 5th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Knock on wood. I never get sick. In the past 7 years I had strep twice and a stomach flu (that lasted more than 24 hours) once. Only time I get sick is when I have too much blood in my alcohol system lol!!
~mommy~ and cybele like this.

February 6th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2many2010 View Post
It depends.

Mama still has to get it done. The only thing for me is my house is usually a disaster so once I feel better it's like two days worth of cleaning to get it back in order.

This. DH is always like "Well if you feel that bad, just go lay down." But unless I am on my death bed it is truly not worth the backlog of work I know I'll have to deal with later on.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
February 6th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
Only time I get sick is when I have too much blood in my alcohol system lol!!
I hate it when that happens.
February 8th, 2014, 09:42 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
Its not fun to say the least. We just found out baby #11 is on the way. I have had the worst morning sickness. Some of my older married children come over and tell the younger kids where to help out more. But we all pitch in and make it fair. Its not to hard since most of ours are older. But it was hard years ago and we just did the best we could and made sure our clothes were clean and food was prepared for meals..etc. my husband is thebest and does a ton. He makes it easy for me. He is a hands on dad and loves and adores his children otherwise it would be a different story.
February 9th, 2014, 06:36 PM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats sonja! hope you get to feeling good soon.
babymama10 likes this.

~~terre~~
February 9th, 2014, 08:49 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
Thanks Terre.
I am no fan of of all the pregnancy issues. I am praying the morning sickness stage will pass fast.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search