Would you ever consider....

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
just packing up your family and spending the year road tripping from place to place?
Or would you have to have a definite plan on where you were going, where you would stay, etc?

I'm feeling restless . I'm dreaming of being off the grid, schooling my children myself, and seeing all the sights.
March 8th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband would totally do this! Lol I am such a creature of routine. .. gosh idk. I worry about the babies and naps and bedtime for simple vacation. Lol maybe if we had a really awsome motor home and the kids were older... and just one year. That was if I totally mess up homeschooling I haven't ruined my kids for life. Lol!
March 8th, 2014, 03:19 PM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
I read an article recently where a family did this and it really did sound intriguing. While I love traveling, especially via road trips, I don't think it's something I'd do right now. I'd be much more likely to do it with dh when the kids are gone.
March 8th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
That is my plan once we're down to just a couple of the kids. That is why I've had no interest in owning a home lol
March 8th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would do it. Another ifriend on another board is doing that with his kids right now. He has 3. Next year the oldest starts high school so he wants to be settled somewhere for him to start that.
March 8th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Owning our home is a bit of a problem. That's why I'm wondering if we could still do without a rv or 5th wheel type thing.

My oldest is starting hs this fall and that is something I'm worried about. As an inexperienced homeschooler, can I start out with one in hs? I could try the k-12 program but I read M2M's recent experience and that scared me!

And we could wait until some of the kids have grown and started their own lives but the biggest reason I want to do this is to experience it with my family.

Last edited by Momtothe6thpower; March 8th, 2014 at 05:47 PM.
March 8th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Doesn't your husband travel for work? You could go with him places and do it that way. You could do it over the summer.
March 8th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Yeah, and that was the plan...we would just follow him. I'm sure we will this summer, it just limits the places we will go because dh will have to work 6-8 weeks at a time. Our vacay is from May 23 to Aug 14
But it is definitely a way for us to try it out.
March 9th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope. Not my kind of thing.
March 9th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No. I have to have some sort of routine, and a set place to clean the same way every day. Even the thought of a vacation with the kids kinda sounds horrible to me.

March 9th, 2014, 11:52 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I dont think owning your home should have anything to do with it. All you do is hire realitor (spelled wrong Im sure ) and they will take care of what it takes to rent your home out. It would actually help in providing extra income while enjoying your 'road trip'.We do travel A LOT and it gets much harder doing that internationally even shorter distances with young and very young kids. Like Repti I too thrive on schedules and routines so when we do travel it sorta no matter what throws things off at times. BUT, dh and I do plan on traveling when the kids are a bit older. For now though, a 1 yrs or longer road trip is not on our list of things to do or will do.

oooh man how your guys getting past this headache of not being able to make more than one paragraph??? sorry to anyone that has trouble reading such large posts with no break inbetween..JM is not allowing me to break them up...
March 9th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Personally I wouldn't rent out our home. We own four rentals and I'd say about half of our tenants have done damage outside of regular wear and tear, six instances over the past 15-odd years where we had to go to court to get them to pay in excess of the deposit to cover damages. I think I'm too emotionally attached to our home to risk that.
March 9th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't want to travel all over with an rv, I don't think we'd ever get around to school and just for practical purposes like laundry etc.

I'd be game to go and live somewhere entirely different for 6 months to a year, like Costa Rica or Holland or wherever, just to get a real feel of another place. We could have, but dh would never want to, and I'm not sure how my older kids would feel about it.

I guess the compromise is that we pull our trailer to different places now in the summer, and that's cool too.
March 9th, 2014, 05:16 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I don't think that's for me. I'm too much of a homebody. And I see where you would follow your husband Mtt6. I was wondering what you would do for some source of income if you were gone for an entire year. Heck, I can't plan our finances a week ahead!

March 9th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't already a part of dh's lifestyle.
March 10th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i love road trips so i think i would be in....but i also know that i'd enjoy it more with just DH.

~~terre~~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search