do you fold

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
your kids laundry?

I just read a blog post about a family of 7 and the mom doesn't fold her kids' laundry. She sorts it into individual baskets and her children are in charge of taking them to their rooms and putting them in the correct drawers. (I believe she said she started them at age 3...something about age 3 anyway.)
The kids have the choice on whether they will fold it or not.

This idea seems so liberating to me! I've wasted half my life folding laundry that I can't keep up with and that is usually ruined by the next time the kids dig around choosing their next outfit. So then I waste time re-organizing over and over and over again. I'm totally going to give it a try. My biggest concern is them looking unkempt but she said that as long as she took the time to fluff clothing out a bit when sorting she hasn't noticed a difference and neither has anyone else. But, seriously, it would save me SO. MUCH. TIME!

Thoughts on the no fold method for large families?

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

March 12th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i dont think i could do it. the wrinkles would be the end of me. i can appreciate you feelings tho ---- it does take time.

~~terre~~
March 12th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I stack things neatly, but they totally trash it when putting it away. I have a boy room basket and a girl room basket.
March 13th, 2014, 06:37 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Yes, I fold. It would drive me crazy.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
March 13th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep, I fold and put everything away in the correct drawers.

March 13th, 2014, 06:50 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
I fold each item as I take it out of the dryer and set it in piles on one of two large tables I have in the laundry room. Each kid has their own pile and has to put it away when it gets too tall. I don't think I'd like not folding them; it really doesn't take too much time (at least, not much more than putting them in a basket would, imo). I do NOT fold or match socks though; I have two baskets (one boy, one girl) and the kids can choose whether to match them and put them away or get them out of the basket as needed.
Spottts and Armychic32 like this.
March 13th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm somewhere in the middle I guess. It used to drive me nuts that they would just rifle through everything and make a mess, so because we have the room they put all their tops on hangers. I fold pants and pj's, and on laundry day they get their basket and are in charge of hanging it all up-that very same day. I insist on them doing it that very day otherwise it's still not done by thursday. They're pretty good about it.
Spottts likes this.
March 13th, 2014, 08:41 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I fold the youngest 2's and hubby's and mine. I don't even do my older 3's laundry. They are all responsible for their own. If they want to wear something off the floor, they're old enough to make that decision. Their rooms are disaster areas, and I got tired of them undoing every neat stacking I did in their drawers. This is much less stressful for all of us! And they can't complain to me when they have no clean underwear.
Faith=2xBlessed likes this.

New picture in progress......
March 13th, 2014, 08:51 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Oh man that would be a time saver! great chore for them too But that would also drive me nuts. I just recently stopped OCDing about the way the drawers looked with their clothes. Its really hard for me because I have been debuting myself with this very topic lately. I do fold their clothes and just now have let them put them away themselves. When I go to get their clothes ready for the week ahead in the closet organizer for school, it bugs me the mess of the clothes in the drawer but at the same time i need that little chore to be done by them. I would love that idea! if they could do it properly.
March 13th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I've always folded the laundry. For years there was always piles of clean clothes on the back of my couch since it was a never ending chore. I rarely fold socks though, they just go into a sock basket. We all wear almost the same size, except Kailyn so it just get's to confusing.Now I fold but have it set up in the basement (where my washer and dryer is) where every one has their own pile/shelf. We just pull out of that as needed.
March 15th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a terribly lazy 'stuff all these clothes in a drawer then close it so no one can see' kind of person.
March 15th, 2014, 07:18 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just the oldest. That's only been recently though. She's 16 and she can take care of it herself..She is even washing some of her own
The rest, I fold and put away.
March 17th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I fold all of it. The older 2 are in charge of putting their own piles away neatly. I told them it was really hurtful to me to see my hard work completely destroyed. So they work a little harder at that now. We don't do an allowance, so if they want to earn money to save for something they can earn aqquarter a pile of either the babies piles or linens. And a dollar for straightening a babies room. That is completely by choice tho, and up to them.

Oh, and their bottom underwear pj drawer is often emptied onto their floor and they spent Saturday cleaning a disaster of their bedroom. So they are far from perfect..
March 19th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Regular
We fold. I question why all the time when I go to open one of my two oldest's drawers, but, we do fold.
March 21st, 2014, 06:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I fold it all myself. I actually don't mind...that is my time to sit and enjoy watching tv.
April 11th, 2014, 10:53 PM
deaths final kiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I enjoy folding too. It's relaxing (unless my 18mo dd is "helping"). I have both of my ds put theirs away (but have to fix their drawers every month or so), and my oldest (8) will help fold his and his brothers (6) clothes. I end up refolding and putting dd's clothes over and over because she likes emptying her drawers and putting all of her clothes on her head while I am putting hubby's clothes away.
April 14th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hang up almost everything in the closet. Very little gets folded. (PJ's, socks, underwear)

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

April 15th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Super Mommy
I fold...but I have a sock/washcloth basket that I throw all socks and washclothes etc in. I put the girls folded laundry in their room for them to put away(they are 13 and 11). I also put my 11 year old sons laundry also in his room he isnt as neat at putting things away..but at least he tries I suppose. I put away my 4 year olds..but soon he will have that job too. My girls fold the sock basket once a week.
Myah 11/12/02
Julian 11/12/02
Ryder 8/14/09
Baby due 10/27/14
April 30th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Veteran
I fold but the older 4 all put theirs away. The 2 year old does hers by choice because she wants to be like the big kids though.
May 2nd, 2014, 03:18 AM
partyofeleven's Avatar Member
Goodness, we don't have enough drawers for folding. For my five youngest, most of their clothes hang in one large closet space. So, mostly I hang outfits and they help. I fold their clothes they put in drawers and they put them away.

My oldest three do their own laundry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search