How many of your children.....

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2014, 09:57 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
have mobile phones>? What age do you start giving them one? Age now? Do you pay the bill?
March 15th, 2014, 08:07 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
My oldest 2 do. I actually don't pay for my oldest's phone - her bio dad does. However, she also has to keep her grades up and stay out of trouble, or I do have the authority to take it away. She used to have one that we paid for, but grades and behaviors got it taken away 1 too many times. She got it at about 12. I really don't think they need them until about 16, but my hubby gets them for them.

My 2nd got hers at the beginning of this school year (7th grade). She had to show us that she could keep her grades up, though. She had certain stipulations she had to meet with grades all through 6th grade, and if they fall at all this year, the phone is gone. She really doesn't use it much since she has her iPod, though.

We have a cell phone that stays at the house, which my 3rd feels that she can use whenever she wants. She's in 6th grade. She's not supposed to have it, but honestly, I get tired of fighting about it sometimes.

New picture in progress......
March 15th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
0. Oldest is almost 13, but I don't feel they need phones. I didn't have a phone til I was an adult, so it's not a NECESSITY.

we have an Obama phone at home that they use if they need to call us while we are not here.

March 15th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband and I have phones through his work. #1 has an Obama phone. I'm not proud. 2&3 wanted to get phones on their own, but it really isn't worth it. When 1 leaves for school, I want her to get her own phone line and give the Obama phone to 2.
March 15th, 2014, 11:31 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Our 2 older boys of course have theirs that they pay and DS3 (18 just turned )has one that daddy pays but the younger five our oldest is almost 7 and is asking for one. Im not buying one for her now but get the shmeel about safety and this and that. I want to but dont want to . lool. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I feel like a complete idiot these day cause I dont what anything is but what is an " obama phone" ?
March 15th, 2014, 11:42 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Obama phone is a free basic cell phone that comes with so many minutes per month for "low-income" people. You have the opportunity to purchase a plan that will add minutes or texting to the phone for a discounted price, like $10 a month.

My oldest three, 19, 17 and 15, have phones they pay for themselves. My 13 yo just got a phone, a basic phone, that my mom pays for under her plan.

I don't think they really need a phone until high school age.
#12 is on the way
March 15th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest got a phone when she was 10 and never used it so we finally had it disconnected. To this day (at 15) she says she doesn't see why she needs one. (She is a weird kid.) My mom went on a plan of her own, so we took that phone line and use it as a home phone. We've made it very clear that Lyss will start carrying a phone with her when she drives. However after her last endo appt, she may not be driving for a long time.
Oh, and we pay from them. We'll probably always have to pay for Lyssa's if we want her to have one but I think making them pay once they have a job wouldn't be too much to ask. Especially if they want smart phones. We will only be paying for basic.

Last edited by Momtothe6thpower; March 15th, 2014 at 12:52 PM.
March 15th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My older 3 have them. (So 19, 17 and 14).I don't buy them and I don't pay for them, they have to do that themselves. They all have jobs so it's no issue really, they can't sign a contract until they are 18 so until then they're on prepaid.
March 15th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My oldest has a cell phone, she got it midway through Grade 9, and bought it with her own money and pays for it herself ($25 a month prepaid). I don't buy phones and I have on occasion bought a phone card for #1, it's her responsibility. Same goes for the others, they can buy a phone in Grade 9ish and pay for it themselves.
March 15th, 2014, 06:25 PM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
Our oldest two have one (14--15 next month, and 13). They both got them about 12 years old. We pay for them. My 9 yo is asking for one but will not get one until we feel she needs one.
March 15th, 2014, 07:13 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oldest 2 16 and 12.. Oldest got hers in high school I thought that was a good age. dh got one for #2 recently and he has already lost his privilege and it's been taken away. Yes we pay the bills.
March 17th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We aren't there yet. I'm thinking when they are either driving or have a part time job. . But I haven't been there to say how I'll feel later. It's kinda like non parents saying how they handle tantrums. Lol!
angelinal09 likes this.
March 17th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not ashamed of having an obama phone. There are plenty people who sit on their ***** all day and get all this free stuff. DH works, pays taxes, he says "take what you can get for free!"
Armychic32 likes this.

March 17th, 2014, 06:54 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Hey nothing to be ashamed of at ALL!! I think its totally cool and what a great idea. I never even knew about it until you guys told me the other day, and just hope more people even know about it! thanks for sharing that with us!
March 18th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Let's see if firefox will also smush this all together..... My older kids got phones around 14'ish when they were out doing more, and staying in contact was a little harder, but they only had texting, which we paid for. I'll just break it down kid by kid. #1 $25 prepaid plan that technically he pays for through his SSI benefits. If his medication and bills take up all of that money we pay for it. #2 and #3 started paying for their phones (which I had switched to unlimited everything when they turned 18) once they got full time jobs. I'm thinking of gifting Sam with a new phone cause she needs one really badly. #4 I pay for unlimited everything, but prepaid. She'll take it over once she's out of school and working full time. #5, 6, and 7 have iphones, but not connected. They can text anyone who has an iphone (which all but #2 and #4 have). They can also call 911 in case of an emergency. Someday I'll upgrade them also. #8 well she has everyones phone lol
March 18th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wait, is it actually called an Obama phone or is this like the healthcare thing where it has a real namebut Obamacare sounds better?
March 18th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
No that's not what they are actually called, it's a play on Obama care lol
March 19th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Regular
My oldest is 8 and this year she asked for a phone. The answer was no. We think she's far too young and I was shocked she even asked. I think it might have had something to do with her cousin getting a phone and a facebook account for Christmas, and she's 10. I don't agree with either, and my 8 yr old doesn't agree with me. Such is life.
March 21st, 2014, 06:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
None....my oldest is only nine.

I am thinking we will get her one when she is middle school aged. I wish I could wait longer, but I feel like no one has pay phones anymore, and I don't want her to be in a position where she can't reach me. So whenever they start going off on their own for school sports or whatever I will probably get them phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina&Co. View Post
My oldest is 8 and this year she asked for a phone. The answer was no. We think she's far too young and I was shocked she even asked. I think it might have had something to do with her cousin getting a phone and a facebook account for Christmas, and she's 10. I don't agree with either, and my 8 yr old doesn't agree with me. Such is life.
My almost eight year old boy does have a deactivated smart phone, and it is his prized possession, lol. My friend replaced her phone, and gave it to my gadget loving boy. It doesn't make calls, but it has games and takes pictures. He's never had any gameboys (or whatever else is out there now) so maybe that is why he loves it so much. Those smart phones do so much....
April 30th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran
My kids will have a cell phone when they pay for it. I don't even have one lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search